Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 08:11 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
No one else but YOU has the right to decide if your behavior is normal or abnormal. Throw those RULES out of the window. Are these your rules? Everyone reacts different and what is normal to one person maybe abnormal to another. But no one has that right to make judgements.
Well, that's not exactly accurate.

A mentally ill person may believe it is perfectly "normal" to walk down the street naked. The rest of us would find that behavior abnormal.

In other words, there are standards of "normal" and "abnormal" behavior in society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 11:11 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Sorry honey, but there really is.

Behaving normally in an abnormal situation is usually called "being in denial".
Agreee to disagree. It is not "denial" to be able to calmly and rationally react to an unusual circumstance.

Crisis! How Would You Respond?

Old 04-11-2012, 11:20 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Christians who cry at funerals should be smacked...if you understand the faith...the deceased is not dead --and you insult the faith with this show of panic and disbelief...I like funerals..
Aaaahhh...I get it. Christians are not supposed to have actual feelings for their departed loved ones. Ok, just checking.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
No one else but YOU has the right to decide if your behavior is normal or abnormal. Throw those RULES out of the window. Are these your rules? Everyone reacts different and what is normal to one person maybe abnormal to another. But no one has that right to make judgements.
These are very accurate philosophical guidelines. Believe what you wish.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:

Right! People just love to make excuses for their own behaviors. In the end, it's called personal accountability. Many people refuse, so they make excuses and act out like children or behave in otherwise poor fashion.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:50 PM

20,932 posts, read 28,414,875 times
Quote:
Well, that's not exactly accurate.

A mentally ill person may believe it is perfectly "normal" to walk down the street naked. The rest of us would find that behavior abnormal.

In other words, there are standards of "normal" and "abnormal" behavior in society.
I get what you are saying

Old 04-11-2012, 03:39 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,850,769 times
Quote:

Are you suggesting that NOT rolling around on the floor while screaming is abnormal?

Old 05-27-2012, 09:35 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
No. All behavior is not "excused" while grieving. And who can "quantify" grief? My cat died...I am "grieving". Some people would not validate that as "real" grief. But, to the person experiencing it, that may be as significant as losing a child. It may be difficult to understand or even validate that...
I'm not trying to pick on you Jasper, but I see pet owners saying this all the time and it really bothers me.

I've been a vet tech for over 10 years as well as having experience losing my own beloved pets. In fact I recently had to euthanize my "heart dog". It was excruciating. Grief over the loss of a pet is very real and should absolutely be validated more often than it is.

However...

The only people who say losing a pet is the same as losing a child have never lost both.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:16 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Aaaahhh...I get it. Christians are not supposed to have actual feelings for their departed loved ones. Ok, just checking.
Not much you can do for a cold dead stiff corpse- The person is not in that body--so why make a scene over dead meat? No you should not having "feelings" for the "departed loved ones"------------They are DEAD they don't need your feelings...

The Christian message is to have feelings for the living--It's easy to have feelings for the dead- good ones and bad ones- the dead do not argue or compete..

Went to Korean Catholic funeral...a "business" associate was grasping the corpse in the coffin and letting out loud laments and soaking the dead guy in tears-----------All I could think of was- That guys sure likes to put on a show....The grieving friend was not really "hysterical" - He was acting....

Old 05-27-2012, 03:16 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,378,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
The grieving friend was not really "hysterical" - He was acting....
You have no way of knowing if it was a show, or if it was real.

Just because his reaction may have seemed over-the-top, doesn't mean his feelings in that moment weren't real. Maybe he liked the guy a lot more than he ever admitted, until that moment? Or maybe he had a close relative die at some point, and never really grieved, and it all came rushing back in that moment? Funerals open the floodgates on emotion for a lot of people. They are immediately thrust back in time, to when other loved ones died.

No one should judge the way another person grieves. And to accuse anyone of "acting" when you don't really know for sure? That's just wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning