Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 06:54 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times

Advertisements

I never thought about "places" being losses either but I do now and understand that emotion. It's that "never go back" feeling. My newest "never go back feeling" as of yesterday is my childhood home. I can never go back "home" now. I feel a big sense of loss. That house was 50 of my 60 years. Now I know how sad my mother felt the rest of her life after Nana sold the house after Bampa died. Momma had lived there 33 years before she married Daddy. I wish I could tell her and Dad all the new "things" I am learning along the way since they have passed. I wish I could talk to my husband about the major things that have happened since he died.

Bluff, that is SO quaint about the one room school and only 5 of you! I've seen a couple of them that have been preserved around here. Yes, they are red. Was yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 12:29 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times
Bluff...Sending you a BIG HUG too! I could sure use "more hugs" right now...Good that I still have 2 cats left to hug! Otherwise I'd probably "shrivel-up" and "dry-up." (And turn into "beef jerky" or ??)...My Dad used to talk about his one-room schoolhouse. When I spent time with relatives in the Mid-West (a few years back) I got to see the old "homestead house." (Where my Dad grew-up.) It's still "standing" and "used" today. This was a big thrill! (For me!)

Old 06-04-2013, 12:41 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times
Tami...Sorry about your "lost house.".. Years ago one of my Aunts and I "fought" to "save" my Grandma's house. (A few years after she died.)...The city wanted to turn her neighborhood (and area) into an "industrial park" and forced everyone to sell...The rest of the family didn't "mind" selling Grandma's house. But my Aunt and I tried our "best" to "fight" the city and the developers. (To "preserve" her house.).. Of course we "lost" in the end. And it was sure sad.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:38 AM

971 posts, read 1,453,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I never thought about "places" being losses either but I do now and understand that emotion. It's that "never go back" feeling. My newest "never go back feeling" as of yesterday is my childhood home. I can never go back "home" now. I feel a big sense of loss. That house was 50 of my 60 years. Now I know how sad my mother felt the rest of her life after Nana sold the house after Bampa died. Momma had lived there 33 years before she married Daddy. I wish I could tell her and Dad all the new "things" I am learning along the way since they have passed. I wish I could talk to my husband about the major things that have happened since he died.

Bluff, that is SO quaint about the one room school and only 5 of you! I've seen a couple of them that have been preserved around here. Yes, they are red. Was yours?
No Tami, my rural school was white and wood lap siding. It started out as a two room school. The "big room" was high school and the "little room" was elementry. I was living in the city with my gram and attended Kindergarten when I was 4, as my mom had taught me to read. I started school the next year at 5 years old. I started the rural school in the second grade and went there until after the Christmas play in the third grade at which time dad moved us to Florida to work in the defense for WWII. He could only get a substitute job in the post office and after a month we moved to Louisana where dad got on the midnight shift for Higgins Landing Craft company. Mom was pregnant and due in May so April she and I rode a train back to my grandmothers city and I finished the third grade there. Mom took my twin brothers back to our rural home and I finished the fourth and fifth grade with my gram. Sixth through the eighth grade was in the rural school again. By then the high school was consolidated with a school 9 miles away. So our elementry had maybe 20 students, first through eight which we would hear the class material behind us and the material ahead of us so if we missed something we had reviews to help us get caught up. Sorry if I misled you. Our rural city had a population posted on the name sign of 26 and now is something like 56. So it hasn't grown much. Most people live outside of the city limits.

(((HUGS)))

Old 06-05-2013, 04:00 PM

You probably didn't mislead me, Bluff, I probably didn't "get it" right.

56 people. Wow! City? LOL you call that a city? Sorry, don't mean to laff but I just can't rap my head around a city of 56. If that is a city, wth do you call rural?? Sorry, I'm so confuzzled.

(((HUGS)))

Old 06-06-2013, 01:46 PM

[quote=tamiznluv;29888873]You probably didn't mislead me, Bluff, I probably didn't "get it" right.

56 people. Wow! City? LOL you call that a city? Sorry, don't mean to laff but I just can't rap my head around a city of 56. If that is a city, wth do you call rural?? Sorry, I'm so confuzzled.

Dear Confuzzled,
I have been thinking how I am going to answer your "rural" question properly. As you already know, I am not so good about puting things into words. Mostly from not having the expierence of having to do so. That said;
We formally lived (1929-1954) a mile from the "wide-place-in-the-road" that we usually referred to as town. Most of the other business areas were also referred to as towns as well. The early road maps referred to anything with a name and population as cities.
So I suppose my defination of rural would be what I am familiar with which as my living 9 miles from the nearest business which is a convience store and gas station. The rural road for these first 9 miles will have a residence every 1/4 mile to 1/2 mile.
In 1954 my folks moved to our farm and sub-divided it into lake lots due to lake water covering their former fishing camp. I didn't bring my young family back home until 1959. We had expierenced Joplin, Mo., Kansas City, Independence, Mo. back to Jolpin before I moved my city wife and 2 year old son to my homestead. My wife an I built a new house on my folks old site in 04 so I am enjoying my "Golden Years" where I formally chased our cattle when I was in high school. Not a bad life. IMHO
(((HUGS )))

Old 06-06-2013, 05:09 PM

Okay, rural means rural to both of us! Just checkin'. Thanks, BB.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Okay, rural means rural to both of us! Just checkin'. Thanks, BB.
IS ALRITE, I like you laffing once and awhile!!!

Old 08-11-2013, 05:45 AM

Oh dear. My longest but not oldest (she was a year younger than me) friend died this morning. We've been friends since I was 9 years old. She'd been battling cancer for 1 1/2 years. They would "get" the cancer in one spot but it'd reappear some place else. Last week she developed fluid on the brain and was in and out of coherence all week. She gave up last night and passed in her sleep.

Farewell my dear friend. You are at peace now. Thank you for 51 years of memories. I love you.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Oh dear. My longest but not oldest (she was a year younger than me) friend died this morning. We've been friends since I was 9 years old. She'd been battling cancer for 1 1/2 years. They would "get" the cancer in one spot but it'd reappear some place else. Last week she developed fluid on the brain and was in and out of coherence all week. She gave up last night and passed in her sleep.

Farewell my dear friend. You are at peace now. Thank you for 51 years of memories. I love you.
Heartfelt condolences lil sis (((HUGS))) BB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning