Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 07:09 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times

Advertisements

This is going to sound nuts, but ... Hurricane Sandy blew out my answering machine, which still had my husband's voice as the greeting. The power being out for three days wiped out the machine's memory. Of course it had to happen sometime, but it still upset me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Plus I'm going to lose another cat before too long...My cat "Silky" has always been the heart and soul of our family and he has medical problems now
I'm sorry your kitty is ailing. Give him a pet for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 08:47 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
This is going to sound nuts, but ... Hurricane Sandy blew out my answering machine, which still had my husband's voice as the greeting. The power being out for three days wiped out the machine's memory. Of course it had to happen sometime, but it still upset me.

I'm sorry your kitty is ailing. Give him a pet for me.
I know what you mean, Ohiogirl. While down in Texas because I had driven Dad's car down to give to my daughter, my husband accidently erased the message I was saving of Dad singing happy birthday to me and I actually mourned more than I had a month before when Dad actually died. That message kept him alive to me.

(((HUGS)))

Old 12-13-2012, 05:47 PM

379 posts, read 533,410 times
Default Answering machine

Ohiogirl, I had the same thing (sort of) happen to me. In our home office, I had our phone with the answering machine. My husband had recorded the greeting years ago. I hadn't listened to it in a long time.

The phone was not working and so I was checking to make sure everything was plugged in correctly. I listened to the greeting, and when I heard Jim's voice, I broke down. He had such a good, strong voice and I just melted when I heard it.

I bought a new phone, but posted here and asked others opinion as to what I should do with the old phone with his recording. Someone suggested I just put the phone in the closet, and if I ever wanted to hear his voice again, just take it out and listen. So before I unplugged the phone, I decided to listen to it just one more time. IT WAS GONE. The recording was GONE!! I had not changed or done anything to the phone.

Then I was devastated that the recording was gone, but I do still have his cellphone with the same greeting. Was it just a coincidence, or a sign? I don't know. But I was glad to hear that voice again, for sure.

I'm sorry you were a victim of Sandy, and so sorry for all the victims that are struggling still today.

tngirl

Old 12-14-2012, 12:34 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times
I took over Bob's cell phone. I had to have a phone for him in case clients called, as we sold his office, the furniture, all the law books, etc., so his landline with his greeting went, too. I was going to record it with a tape recorder by calling the office, and holding the recorder up to the receiver and recording his voice, but our attorney who handled his estate, just went in recorded a new message announcing Bob's death and giving them Bob's cell phone number. So, I cancelled my cellphone and transferred all my settings to his phone, kept his greeting and his ring tone (John Denver Rocky Mountain High~~he looked so much like John Denver, it was amazing). Now when I want to hear his voice, I call the cell phone. The other thing I did, was transfer VHS tapes to DVD's and now I can play them on the computer or the TV and see and hear him all over again, and see him happy and enjoying whatever we were doing. He's with me always that way.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:15 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
I can't find the home movies that we recorded. I've been looking for them on and off for some time; they just don't seem to be here. We always filmed bits of Christmas morning, Thanksgiving dinner, birthday parties. It's just one more thing...

Old 12-17-2012, 10:30 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,327,366 times
Sometimes it's worse than the loss itself, or seems like it, to lose the touchable or audible memories
I had a tape (from the days of casettes) with my son's voice on..I had a video with him on it...But I have the sound of his voice permanently engraved in my brain and every now and again I replay it in my head just to make sure it's there...Not sure why and I don't even wonder why but it helps me at times when things are tough.
I had newspapers of when he died, it was all over the papers and I had a bunch of articles saved ...my ex threw them out and then denied doing so...that's unforgivable IMO but I had no choice but to accept they're gone..

Old 12-18-2012, 01:17 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times
Maggie, can you go to a local library and look at microfilm of the newspapers? They can make copies of the articles if you want them. If you don't live near the library that would have the papers, maybe you can call the local library and ask them to do a search and print them out for you. They may charge you a small fee, but I'm positive it can be done. Or, maybe if you called the newspapers themselves, they can find the papers and send them to you, or send you a link to them. You could also go to their archives and you might be able to view and print the articles.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
Sometimes it's worse than the loss itself, or seems like it, to lose the touchable or audible memories
I had a tape (from the days of casettes) with my son's voice on..I had a video with him on it...But I have the sound of his voice permanently engraved in my brain and every now and again I replay it in my head just to make sure it's there...Not sure why and I don't even wonder why but it helps me at times when things are tough.
I had newspapers of when he died, it was all over the papers and I had a bunch of articles saved ...my ex threw them out and then denied doing so...that's unforgivable IMO but I had no choice but to accept they're gone..
I sure can see why he's the "ex", Marcy. Bastard.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:41 PM

I have been plunged back into sorrow and heartbreak today. My beloved American Eskimo dog had TBPTS. He suffered a stroke over the weekend and his hind quarters went. He's been so miserable the past couple of days that it was also a relief to see him go to sleep and relax. I only had him 5 years but he was the best dog on earth. Stuck to me like glue. He brought me such joy in those 5 years.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:18 PM

379 posts, read 533,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I have been plunged back into sorrow and heartbreak today. My beloved American Eskimo dog had TBPTS. He suffered a stroke over the weekend and his hind quarters went. He's been so miserable the past couple of days that it was also a relief to see him go to sleep and relax. I only had him 5 years but he was the best dog on earth. Stuck to me like glue. He brought me such joy in those 5 years.
Oh tami, I'm so sorry. We/I have had 2 dachshunds that had lived to 5 years old and had to be put to sleep, one down in his back, the other a tumor on his lungs. Both at 5 years...incredible, what luck! There was no other dog like Oscar....then Rudy....now I have Scooter, just like them.

Losing a beloved pet is hard anytime, but especially when you are recovering from the loss of a loved one. I don't know what I will do if Scooter ever dies....he was "our" dog.....and like yours, the best loving dog on earth. He gave Jim a lot of love and comfort.

BTW, my next door neighbor does an American Eskimo rescue....has about 12 dogs.

Again, I am so sorry for your loss. It will take time to know if you want another dog; do you have other pets now? Sending you a big ((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))).

God bless,
tngirl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning