Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2012, 04:32 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times

Advertisements

tamiznluv...Sorry that you can't go to Florida to spend time with your friend..It's sad that she never got "over" losing her boyfriend in high school..Vegas is our closest big-city. (200 mile round trip through the open desert.)...I live right across the Colorado River from Laughlin, Nevada...It would be hard to dance with anyone else besides my husband right now. I'm just not ready yet. How do you feel about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 05:08 PM

smilinpretty...I live right near Laughlin. But I know what you mean about not being able to leave your dogs. And just not feeling "up" to "much" right now...Two far-away friends invited me to spend Thanksgiving or Christmas with them and they told me to bring all the cats too. (Which was nice.)...But I have my "frail cat" and I didn't think he was up for a long car trip and days and nights in a strange home..And I guess I'm a bit "frail" too...I'm just taking "baby steps" right now myself...One day at a time. Right?

Old 12-29-2012, 01:18 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
tamiznluv...Sorry that you can't go to Florida to spend time with your friend..It's sad that she never got "over" losing her boyfriend in high school..Vegas is our closest big-city. (200 mile round trip through the open desert.)...I live right across the Colorado River from Laughlin, Nevada...It would be hard to dance with anyone else besides my husband right now. I'm just not ready yet. How do you feel about it?
No, CA, I would break down into tears if I danced with anyone except Earl. He was a good dancer too. I danced with a friend a couple of years ago when I was crying about Earl when I was out for a couple of pops and didn't that same friend drop dead the very next day?? Oh no, no dancing for me!

Old 12-29-2012, 11:37 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times
My Home Owner's Association had a holiday cocktail pary get together on the 21st. Since where I am north of Tucson is very much a Snowbird community, the residents are around my age give or take 10 years. I had one glass of wine and others were really getting into the holiday cheer. Some were dancing, but most of them were married couples, so I just watched, but it really made me realize, that even after three years, I'm not ready to dip my toe in the water, yet. I don't want anyone's arms around me right now. I'm just not ready. I may never be ready.

On the other hand, my friend who lost her husband to pancreatic cancer August 30th after only finding out he was sick in May, is already seeing someone. She took her rings off right around the funeral, changed her name back to her maiden name, sold her home and downsized to a beautiful patio home (they were EXTREMELY well off.....). She entertains frequently and is quite the social butterfly at 62. Her two adult kids and her 'tween grandchildren seem absolutely fine with it. She's active in her church, and they're really excited for her. So, there's no telling with people, and what's right for one, isn't right for another. She's really happy with her life right now, and I'm fine still wearing my wedding rings!

Old 01-01-2013, 08:49 AM

May 2013 be a better year for all of us! I'm not superstitious but it does seem weird to be in a "13th" year...How did you do over New Year's Eve? Do you have plans for today?...I fell asleep early and was asleep when the clock struck midnight..I didn't plan to be asleep. Don't have any plans for today except getting a few things at the store...Anyway I hope we all do better in the new year! Happy 2013!

Old 01-01-2013, 02:36 PM

379 posts, read 533,410 times
I didn't have any plans, was just going to veg all day. My adopted granddaughter/neighbor, Bree, got a Kindle Fire for Christmas. She brought it over to show me as I am thinking about getting one (they are really nice!).

It was around lunch time and we had been talking about Nicholas Sparks books and movies. I had the movie "Nights in Rodanthe" taped, she had never seen it before, by Nicholas Sparks. So I made us some lunch and we ate it while watching the movie.....I cried towards the end at the crying part; she loved the movie. We are now drinking hot chocolate with marshmallows and just vegging out. What a great day!!

BTW, if you want to see a good drama, Nights in Rodanthe is a must see!! Richard Gere & Diane Lane.

tngirl

Old 01-01-2013, 05:26 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,216,684 times
oH, MY, I watched that movie the other day and I cried toward the end.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:35 PM

379 posts, read 533,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinpretty View Post
oH, MY, I watched that movie the other day and I cried toward the end.
Oh I did too, I so wanted him to come back!

Old 01-07-2013, 07:46 AM

tngirl..I'm glad you had such a wonderful day with your adopted granddaughter..Christmas week was easier for me and this past week seemed harder and I even ended-up getting sick. But I still did okay and found a way to make it through each day...The holidays are over now. Nothing much going on until Valentine's Day...I'm glad my husband and I didn't go "ga-ga" over Valentine's Day...He always gave me a nice card and some type of chocolate candy. But we didn't do special "sweetheart stuff" on Valentine's Day like we might do for our anniversary or birthdays..It was just a time to "play kids" and eat candy...It was even more fun to buy candy on sale after Valentine's Day and hunt for "deals!"...How did you and your husband celebrate Valentine's Day? How about everyone else?...My husband and I hardly ever went out to eat right on Valentine's Day to avoid all the crowds. We might go to a restaurant the night before or the day after Valentine's Day. How about you?

Old 01-07-2013, 09:19 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
tngirl..I'm glad you had such a wonderful day with your adopted granddaughter..Christmas week was easier for me and this past week seemed harder and I even ended-up getting sick. But I still did okay and found a way to make it through each day...The holidays are over now. Nothing much going on until Valentine's Day...I'm glad my husband and I didn't go "ga-ga" over Valentine's Day...He always gave me a nice card and some type of chocolate candy. But we didn't do special "sweetheart stuff" on Valentine's Day like we might do for our anniversary or birthdays..It was just a time to "play kids" and eat candy...It was even more fun to buy candy on sale after Valentine's Day and hunt for "deals!"...How did you and your husband celebrate Valentine's Day? How about everyone else?...My husband and I hardly ever went out to eat right on Valentine's Day to avoid all the crowds. We might go to a restaurant the night before or the day after Valentine's Day. How about you?
Earl and I didn't do much special on Valentine's Day either, CA. We usually worked. He'd buy me flowers and a card. We never went out to eat to celebrate. He once bought me a 10 lb box of chocolates when I had just lost 85 lbs!!! I coulda killed him! Yes, I did end up eating the whole damned box. Took me months though. He switched to flowers after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning