Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2013, 04:55 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times

Advertisements

Tami and Ca if you guys were near me I would invite you over for tea and cookies and or cake and coffee and we certainly would not have the tv on . Ugh I love to read and talk with people and I could not imagine the tv blaring when I am trying to do that .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 05:01 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Tami...I'm glad you're doing so much better now. I definitely remember the song: "I Will Survive!"...Sometimes it helps "to talk." So I will...Holidays at my friend's house are "centered' around watching TV. (Watching TV non-stop.) This is their culture and "greatest pleasure!"...My friend and her husband love to watch sports and heavy-duty "crime stuff" on their big-screen TV. Basically, we only talk during the commercials...And sometimes, I end-up feeling lonely. And I miss the closeness and interaction I used to have with my family on holidays...My friends care about me and "mean well." But the thought of spending another holiday watching TV (non-stop) just doesn't seem appealing or exciting right now...It seems depressing! Hard to be with (or around) people and "barely talk!"...Thanks for sharing and listening! Glad you're doing better now.
Oh how I hated to go visiting my former FIL. We traveled 60 miles to visit him and all he wanted to do was watch his golf. We learned to not talk and just sat there bored to tears. Then when he'd come over with the rest of my in-laws for the holiday dinners, he'd leave the rest of us and go watch tv!

Old 11-07-2013, 05:25 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
As long as my mom is alive, I'll spend the holidays with her. Often my sister and her family join us, depending on how much pressure my sister gets from her in-laws.

After my mom's gone, who knows? Maybe I'll spend my holidays lying on a sunny beach. But at least for now, I have somewhere to go.

I skipped Halloween again this year, and went to visit my sister for the week. My husband loved Halloween, probably more than he loved Christmas. We made pumpkin cookies and decorated the house with her kids (who are now teenagers), and watched horror movies, but it was pretty low-key overall and nice not to be alone.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:26 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times
Bob died October 26th, 2009, and that first year, I was alone, and it was hell. I felt so abandoned as everyone else just continued their routines, but since I was no longer in CO, they didn't think to include me. All our traditions, out the window. I didn't even want a tree. I truly felt kicked to the curb.

Then, the next two years, I literally invited myself up to my sil's for Christmas as I didn't want to be alone. Last year, I invited myself for Thanksgiving. So, when she called and invited HERSELF to my house for Christmas this year, I was stunned, and cried out of happiness. First time in 5 years we'd be together as family. Then, she called back and invited me to got to her house for Thanksgiving. After just having been there in June and September, I've realized how much we need each other, and I think she's figuring that out, too.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:29 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,216,684 times
I wish you all Happy Holidays. I am spending the days alone but it is what it is. I am happy to just be alive.

Old 11-08-2013, 01:39 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Oh how I hated to go visiting my former FIL. We traveled 60 miles to visit him and all he wanted to do was watch his golf. We learned to not talk and just sat there bored to tears. Then when he'd come over with the rest of my in-laws for the holiday dinners, he'd leave the rest of us and go watch tv!
Sorry about your former FIL. Guess some people just aren't very sociable...I'm NOT going to arrive super early when I go to my friend's house for Thanksgiving... I'll be there to help with "last-stage cooking.".. When I'm in the kitchen with my friend we're away from the TV and talk a little more. Same goes for "clean-up" after we eat...Holidays have been rough for my friend since her sister died. So I don't want to "bail-out."...I'll just "limit" the amount of time I spend at her house so I won't have to do (no-talk) "marathon TV" from early morning 'til late at night!

Old 11-08-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Tami and Ca if you guys were near me I would invite you over for tea and cookies and or cake and coffee and we certainly would not have the tv on . Ugh I love to read and talk with people and I could not imagine the tv blaring when I am trying to do that .
Thanks for your caring posts. I wish we lived closer too!

Old 11-08-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinpretty View Post
I wish you all Happy Holidays. I am spending the days alone but it is what it is. I am happy to just be alive.
Too bad we don't live a teeny-weeny bit closer...I think we'd have fun together on holidays.. Maybe we'd feel sad too but at least we could share our feelings with each other. And talk!

Old 11-08-2013, 02:22 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinpretty View Post
Same here, smilin'.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:23 PM

I think it helps "to talk!" Don't you?...I've been in an on and off (again) "funk" lately. But all the posting I did yesterday and today "helped." (Along with talking to a few friends on the phone.)...I will be 65 soon. (Right before Thanksgiving.)...When my family members were alive, we always made a "big deal" out of "milestones." Now, I'm on my own...I'm doing "okay." I'm a "tough cookie" and good "soldier." But sometimes, I do feel sad and lonely too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning