Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 01:11 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times

Advertisements

What other family does he have, and what kind of relationship do you have with them? Are you his beneficiary? Does he have any assets?

I would approach this from the angle of protecting yourself first. Make sure you are not taking any actions out of guilt or regret. Above all, do not let anyone else guilt you into anything you are not comfortable with.

I'm sorry you are going through this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 01:19 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Oh my word. I feel so terrible for you. Separated or not, it is an awful duty that is expected of you. And, separated or not, it will continue taking an emotional toll on you for years to come.

I think the first thing to really tell yourself is that you do not bear any responsibility for what he did. I know that's easier said than done, but survivors of those who commit suicide almost always blame themselves. You should really seek counseling when this is all said and done.

As far as everything else is concerned, talk to his banker, but let the funeral director handle matters. Just make sure you aren't gouged on the price.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:46 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Oh my word. I feel so terrible for you. Separated or not, it is an awful duty that is expected of you. And, separated or not, it will continue taking an emotional toll on you for years to come.

I think the first thing to really tell yourself is that you do not bear any responsibility for what he did. I know that's easier said than done, but survivors of those who commit suicide almost always blame themselves. You should really seek counseling when this is all said and done.

As far as everything else is concerned, talk to his banker, but let the funeral director handle matters. Just make sure you aren't gouged on the price.

Ok....I'm so worried about this. I feel so sorry for him as I never wanted to be with him again with his demons, but, I'm sick that he ended his life with a shot in the head.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:05 PM

61,690 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Maybe this will help? Some of the questions my apply...
Separation and Divorce: Death and Its Implications
Do you have an access to his home? Maybe you will find some documents there.
Did he work? Maybe he had an insurance?

Old 09-04-2014, 02:07 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,304,633 times
Wow! I am so sorry for your loss.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:12 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,010,517 times
My deepest sympathy my prayers with you all and your family! Be strong!

Old 09-04-2014, 02:24 PM

25,441 posts, read 9,800,380 times
Stormy, I am very sorry for your loss. Thinking of you during this difficult time.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:26 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Sorry for your loss.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:30 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
This is quite a shock and maybe I should have put this under non romantic since we were separated for a year. I just found out that my husband shot and killed himself last night and I'm very sad for him. Needless to say he was a hardcore abusive alcoholic, but, I had hoped he would find a peaceful way in his life not this. I am his closest family member and I need to make all the arrangements, but, I'm confused how I find out if he had money in his checkbook since he lived several states away to pay for funeral expenses. I need to make all the arrangements and becoming a a widow in my 40's was not in my plans. Uggg...but help.

Are you sure you can legally pursue any of this since you are/were in the middle of a divorce and you live with your boyfriend in another state?

Doesn't he has siblings who may have the actual legal responsibility to do all of this?

Old 09-04-2014, 03:10 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
I am really sorry you are dealing with this. It sounds like his demons took over and he felt no way out of his addiction.

If he has a current will, then whoever was named executor can take over. It gets complicated if he didn't have a will.

Are you legally separated, as in - had paper drawn up with an attorney? If you have, those papers may clearly state that you are NOT in any way responsible for each other's bills or entitled to each other's property. If you are legally separated, you need to contact your attorney to find out what you legally are and are not responsible for. It most likely would be very difficult for you to do something as simple as write a check out to a funeral home (from your ex's account) if you name is not on the account. You really need legal assistance.

How were you notified of his death? Did that person contact you because you were still listed as your ex's emergency contact? If he had you as his emergency contact, then maybe he has you listed as his beneficiary on some of his other legal paperwork.

As others have mentioned, it would be so much better if one of his family members could handle this.

Funeral Directors can often be a great source of guidance.

I am really sorry you are going through this. Let us know how things proceed. I know I wasn't of much help but at least you know we all care about your situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning