Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 10:58 AM

1,505 posts, read 1,809,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
How old are you? You can't collect on his pension or social security until you reach retirement age.
Whether she can collect his pension prior to retirement age depends on the type of pension and/or the company's policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 11:15 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,723,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondiel View Post
Whether she can collect his pension prior to retirement age depends on the type of pension and/or the company's policy.

I already have the death certificate and as far as I know I will be able to collect. He was in law enforcement and retired at 47 years old. He was in a different "group II" that is able to collect much earlier. He did manage his funds well before becoming totally consumed by the demons so I may get lucky. I'm supposed to find out more next week with letters from the NH State retirement system next week. I am his beneficiary. I do need something from the court to get into his bank account which I don't even know if there is much money in and I don't recall what kind of life insurance he had although he certainly did have some. I will have to pull out the bill from the funeral home and see what they are charging for. I know they are charging obviously for picking up the body, obit, extra death certificates, cleaning extra double bag because his body was in such poor shape.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:27 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
I had something similar happen to me only he was murdered. He was still dead. I was devastated even though we had been divorced for a couple of years but, he was the father of my children.

I would suggest speaking to an attorney just to be clear on everything.

We had a suicide in our family and it leaves a lot of questions and wounds, even when the deceased was so troubled.

Good luck in your future endeavors.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:32 PM

A friend of his went into his apartment and located all his important papers. My husband did keep excellent records so this should help a great deal with banking etc. Another thing that came up is the issue of the lease he signed I have to figure out if I'm responsible or not

Old 09-05-2014, 06:07 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
I already have the death certificate and as far as I know I will be able to collect. He was in law enforcement and retired at 47 years old. He was in a different "group II" that is able to collect much earlier. He did manage his funds well before becoming totally consumed by the demons so I may get lucky. I'm supposed to find out more next week with letters from the NH State retirement system next week. I am his beneficiary. I do need something from the court to get into his bank account which I don't even know if there is much money in and I don't recall what kind of life insurance he had although he certainly did have some. I will have to pull out the bill from the funeral home and see what they are charging for. I know they are charging obviously for picking up the body, obit, extra death certificates, cleaning extra double bag because his body was in such poor shape.
Since he was already retired and receiving a pension the survivor benefits should kick-in immediately. That's how mine work, compliments of the State of California, should I predecease my wife. I, too, am a former cop. Then there's his Social Security in a few years should he have out-earned you.

Follow your dream. You'll be glad you did.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:13 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
OP, I would say I'm sorry for your loss ... but in this thread and others you seem to be already planning how you will spend any money you'll be getting. So I guess I should just say "Enjoy the nice little pension" you rather gleefully mentioned a few posts back.

(I know I sound harsh, but in reading the thread title I got one impression while reading the OP's posts I got a very different impression ... she's already thinking about how she can spend her dead, estranged husband's money ... This thread seems to me to be more suited for personal finance than grief & mourning.)

Old 09-06-2014, 01:17 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
I think she's earned it.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:48 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,743,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am really sorry you are dealing with this. It sounds like his demons took over and he felt no way out of his addiction.
I just want to add that, speaking as someone with personal family experience on suicide, this is one of the best explanations of suicide that I've seen on this forum.

To the original poster, I'm so sorry for your loss. May the angels comfort you and guide you, step by step, through this most difficult experience.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:49 AM

989 posts, read 2,854,446 times
If the husband didn't opt for survivor benefits when he originally took his pension the OP may be out of luck...

Old 09-06-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
OP, I would say I'm sorry for your loss ... but in this thread and others you seem to be already planning how you will spend any money you'll be getting. So I guess I should just say "Enjoy the nice little pension" you rather gleefully mentioned a few posts back.

(I know I sound harsh, but in reading the thread title I got one impression while reading the OP's posts I got a very different impression ... she's already thinking about how she can spend her dead, estranged husband's money ... This thread seems to me to be more suited for personal finance than grief & mourning.)

I'm in no way gleeful and yes I did earn it. If you had lived my life you would know what I'm saying. I will spare you all the things that happened, but, feel free to DM if you would like some example such as being thrown from a car and left by him three hours from home because he was drunk at 3 am.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning