Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2015, 09:18 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry_NJ View Post
Jaxson,
Seems my reentry on this blog as reset my notification "timer".. must be based on time, a reasonable management approach as some contributors just stop and in fact that indicates no continuing interest.

I come here for help, but also to follow along with the ups/downs of friends here.
OK on that note I just read my threads from my inbox somehow when I set my account up I checked a box to do that I don't do email notifications. Just looking now I don't see it so maybe somebody else reading can tell us, I check my CD inbox daily so I see the threads I post in. If I have time I peruse the other sections but most times not~ for me CD isn't what it use to be so I tend to stay in a select few threads only.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:30 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
I've missed you Jerry! I know you and I are in the same place in many ways. Somehow just reading your posts here makes me feel like you are near.....and you have such a tender heart with the animals it brings me a smile which lately has not come easy! Thank you!

Jaxson, yes, I felt she was wrong but she has been there 3 years and is what they call a "key holder" or basically a manager when the boss is not there. The boss has never ever made me feel badly but always has been an encouragement for me. This girl is only 20 years old and I am sure she has no idea what grief is or an understanding of a person from a totally different generation is like. All I can do is my best and I am doing that. It is taking all I can muster just to get out and do what little public work I am doing so to have a problem like that just makes it more difficult. Guess it's time to put on my big girl panties! Smile.....Now where did those go??

Old 10-11-2015, 10:40 AM

218 posts, read 207,577 times
Jaxson, I have my profile set for email notification.. but it seems if I (one) is not interacting for some period of time the notification is dropped. I don't have a problem if that is the case. This reset will let me test.. for now I am again getting email notifications, but only the first so I always look to see there there is more than one since I last visited/posted.

Cyn, have you checked with your senior center about low-income help for electricity and for oil or gas if that's what you use for heat? You don't need to give me/us any numbers but I think a income that is basically social security may qualify for some federal and/or local (state/city) assistance for energy. There may be other help too, don't be too proud to get food stamps. I believe you are one (of perhaps a minority) who the food stamp program was designed to serve. It has gone amuck lately, but I think you and I are in the group who contributed to the economic lively-hood of this Great Nation for dozens of years and any and all help we get we have EARNED!! Remember that, you have Earned help. Me too, but happily my retirement planning has provided the Social Security help I need to get along with only Medicare help, and that was a big help when my wife was fighting cancer. We had insurance too but it still cost thousands out-of-pocket each year.

Just a thought. My senior center has a lot of helpful links, including for veterans, I am one, from the "cold war" which we won and which has recently been lost. I enjoy the computer and the book worms groups at the center. I got involved mostly to give my wife more social interactions when she was in poor physical condition due to chemo side-effects and advanced cancer. She loved to read, she was one of the first to buy into Amazon Kindle - we have a large library there now. That is why I got us into the book worms group. My wife even loved to read aloud and we often spent an hour or so in bed while she read from kindle, or the library from paper, or when she became too tired to read we listened to audio books. Kindle extended the time she was able to read because of the ability to pick print size, i.e., LARGE PRINT. The audio books were great and gave us more time together. Otherwise she was in bed upstairs and I was doing .. what??? that's the question, all those lost hours I could have spent with her and didn't.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:27 PM

I admire you and your wife's relationship and what it was--very romantic. No need to worry about what you didn't do but remember what you did do! I use to read books out loud to my first husband on our camping trips. That was from a book of course since in those days the Kindle still wasn't here.
I have checked in with the senior center about a few things and do get a small amount of food stamps--very bit helps! It was very hard for me since being raised in a family that did not believe in being helped but doing things on our own. Something I still struggle with a lot of the time.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:32 PM

I have spent my day asking myself why I am having so much difficulty just turning this problem with my work over to God...still can't figure it out but working on it. I will learn the register once someone takes the time to teach me! They just can't do it and expect me to learn....Going to bed early tonight..my girlfriend I met through Hospice is coming over tomorrow to help me wash my dogs and clip their nails--hope it's a nice warm day and we have some fun!!! I also put the word out at church that I need old comforters for the dogs house so then they can have fresh beds too!

Old 10-11-2015, 06:51 PM

218 posts, read 207,577 times
cyn, How do your dogs (I don't know what you have) like a bath and nail trim? We had a Westie (wife's dog) that was deaf and troubled with allergies but a fun dog, a rescue dog. He had to have medicated prescription baths often, at least twice a month and he just took it. He fit in the kitchen sink so the setup was always ready to go. But nail trimming was another matter, even the groomer and the vet technician had trouble doing without a lot of muscle and muzzle ... and if he was anesthetized for some procedure the nails were a "snap".

The dog, Wilson by name, would let me trim a nail or two then he'd grab my arm but not sink his teeth in... and I'd stop and put him back on the floor. He was a lovely dog overall and I still miss him greatly. He will be gone a year on December 3... still hurts like yesterday, doesn't bode well for me getting over the loss of my wife.

Then if Wilson had lived, poor little Jasper my current foster Chihuahua mix would likely still be in the shelter waiting for someone to take him home. No one has asked to see him during the 9 months he has lived with me... he was with us about two months before my wife died.

I don't fully understand your worry about working the register, is that the work you'd rather do than stocking? For me stocking would be more interesting, but not very social. At the register you'd be interfacing with customers all the time - that can be stressful. Whatever is best I wish happens, not suggesting you change to my choice of work. If one can use a high stool at the register it may be easier physically than lifting and stacking in dealing with restocking.

Letting God deal with the struggle seems to be a good path forward. Said another way, what-will-be-will-be and we win only if we don't let things outside our control occupy and worry our mind. That said, I recognize I can not change the fact my wife is gone and I continually struggle with accepting the fact I can not change.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:20 AM

Thanks for your post Jerry! My dogs are Basset Hounds--big and heavy. I can't even lift them into the bathtub. They will have to be washed outside with the hose if it is warm enough. They don't like their nails trimmed so it is always a struggle. They had never been trimmed much so they really are uncomfortable with it. We'll do our best. At least with the help from my girlfriend it may be easier. If we have to much trouble doing it I'll have one of the groomers from our store stop by and pay her to do it.
As far as work we are each required to do everything in the store. I need to stock to learn where things are so when a customer asks I can show them I need to learn the register too but it would be helpful to be shown and not just have them do it for me when a problem arises without explaining what they did. But with time I'll figure it out. I only work 2 days a week and it just takes time.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:24 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Jerry, do you know you can click on any one of your postings, and then on "Find all posts by Jerry_NJ"? This is the only way I can make sure I check back on things I have posted.

Cyn, sometimes you just need to keep a sense of humor and let things roll off. I'd be as sweet as pie to the child at work, but the whole time I'd be thinking "bless your heart" (the southern meaning). Obviously, she has a lot to learn about managing people. I predict you will be there long after she is gone.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:51 AM

Thank you gentlearts. I think some people just need to mature--others never do. Working with the public is one place you need people skills. I hope she learns that with maturity. I did need to go to the store today to get some of my cats food and a couple of beds that are on sale since we are washing the dogs they'll need clean beds! Anyhow she was there--but so was the boss so I just told him I need more time on the register to learn it so I don't bother the other associates. He agreed and it sounded as if he'd already been told the story by her. Any how he was not upset one bit and promised me the register when I come in. Not sure it is what I really want but I need the time to learn so keeping positive thoughts and an open mind!

Old 10-12-2015, 11:36 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,321,367 times
You'll figure it out sweetie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.