Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 06:43 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times

Advertisements

Are you sure the conty doesn't own the place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 08:20 PM

726 posts, read 2,147,603 times
hunter's pay the fees/licenses/etc because they are required to not because they give a damn about conservation. If it were optional none would pay. Hunter's are usually those who want to feel in control or flex their machismo muscles. I'm against killing any animal for food, hell I'm against hurting animals for any purpose. I'm against encroaching on their land or the dumbasses who build a cabin in the mountains and then shoot a mountain lion because it wandered into their "backyard".

Old 07-28-2010, 09:14 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
Nothing else to do tonight so I will address the OP's four stereotypes as they apply to my case as a former hunter. I've had to pretty much give up the activity because of my inability now to climb the mountains, hills, canyons and hollows that I once used to.

1) Hunting is a hick activity - It could be but I certainly don't consider my self a hick having lived and worked in several major America cities.

2) Hunters don't care about nature or wildlife - I spent seven years in school getting two degrees in natural resource and biological sciences and another two decades working in the field of wildlife and environmental science.

3) Hunters are uneducated - I refer you back to #2.

4) Associations of obnoxious confederate flags, pickups, and ATV's with hunting - I belong to no associations unless one considers AARP an association and I have no flags on my 2WD pickup or my Honda Accord.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:41 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
hunter's pay the fees/licenses/etc because they are required to not because they give a damn about conservation. If it were optional none would pay.
Can you provide proof this is the case? I never once met a fellow hunter who had any problem whatsover with that part of the license fee went to conservation and wildlife efforts. In fact, most would have it no other way. So please cite your source on this beyond your opinion. Is is a public opinion poll asking the question of hunters? Also, are you aware of many additional dollars from hunters/fishermen go into such causes via voluntary contributions?

Quote:
Hunter's are usually those who want to feel in control or flex their machismo muscles. I'm against killing any animal for food, hell I'm against hurting animals for any purpose.
So now you presume some special insight into the psyche of hunters? You really DO have delusions of moral superiority, don't you? ROFLMAO

So I take it that since you are are against killing any animal for food, that you do not eat any meat or fish products? Please just answer this simple question.

Are you also against the use of animal products in other areas where killing is involved? Do you wear leather, use soap made from animal fat, take medicines first tested on animals to determine lethal doses, etc?

Quote:
I'm against encroaching on their land or the dumbasses who build a cabin in the mountains and then shoot a mountain lion because it wandered into their "backyard".
You are better entertainment than Saturday Night Live. Their land? Can you show me a legal title to such from a deer or bear? Where do you live? If it is in or on anything but a totally unihabited desert island, then the building of your own home at one point in time "enroached" on land previously occupied by Bambi and Smokey the Bear. Now, don't you feel bad?

Old 07-28-2010, 11:16 PM

726 posts, read 2,147,603 times
I apologize, since I said I am against the hurting of any animal I assumed you would understand that I do not consume animals. Apparently I need to "dumb it down". And yes the mentality of the "male hunter" is usually introduced in any psych 101/102 class. So all you highly educated hunters should be aware of these theories. Yes I do feel bad that we've taken the land, I feel bad that animals that roamed free are reduced to small reservations or are near extinction. I think of a time when Buffalo roamed, when wolves were free to live wherever they wanted not where we decided we wanted them to, I would like all animals to live in their natural habitat free from human interference. I know that's not possible human beings are too selfish. But more and more I see some counties, towns, states buying and converting land to open space. More and more I meet people who agree we are destroying the very essence of "America". Obviously you and I will never agree nor do I really want to try and have a discussion with a Texan hunter. So happy killing, put on your coonskin hat, your leather cowboy boots, eat your meat, crap on nature and try not to have on of your drunk "hunting buddies" shoot you.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:26 AM

*GRINS REAL BIG* Getting a little PO'd are we? Good, I think I will give you a few more things to get PO'd about, while examining your own delusions of moral superiority. Also taught in Psych 101 and 102 classes!

Quote:
I apologize, since I said I am against the hurting of any animal I assumed you would understand that I do not consume animals.
That is not a default assumption. I have debated before with anti-hunters who still consumed meat. So you are a total veggie, huh? Kewl.

But do you eat eggs or use butter? If so, remember all that comes from the exploitation of animals. So do you wear any leather products or fur? Use soap which contains animal fats? Please answer the above

Quote:
Apparently I need to "dumb it down".
No, believe me you have "dumbed it down enough"

Quote:
Yes I do feel bad that we've taken the land, I feel bad that animals that roamed free are reduced to small reservations or are near extinction. I think of a time when Buffalo roamed, when wolves were free to live wherever they wanted not where we decided we wanted them to, I would like all animals to live in their natural habitat free from human interference. I know that's not possible human beings are too selfish. But more and more I see some counties, towns, states buying and converting land to open space. More and more I meet people who agree we are destroying the very essence of "America".
LOL That pompous, self-righteous, drivel provides you a means of enjoying all the luxuries of modern day society, yet not causing yourself any undue personal inconvenience. In other words, you "regret" and "feel bad" about all this, but justify your own personal failure to actually practice what you preach on the grounds of that "human interference" is already in place. Very typical of a certain ilk.

And by the way, no animal in danger of extinction or even depleted numbers can be legally hunted.

Regardless, hey, if you really feel all THAT strongly about it, then evacuate your house, move into a cave or tree house (just be sure not to upset the birdnests) and give what you formerly paid in rent/house payments to wildlife and animal rights causes.

Quote:
Obviously you and I will never agree nor do I really want to try and have a discussion with a Texan hunter. So happy killing, put on your coonskin hat, your leather cowboy boots, eat your meat, crap on nature and try not to have on of your drunk "hunting buddies" shoot you.
You sure provide some good laughs.

Ya know, I am betting the cotton crop, that you are one of those who fancy yourself oh so "enlightened" and "tolerant"...but have no problem at all with stereotyping those who disagree with you. Yep, all a bunch of trigger-happy rednecks who get drunk, kill anything that moves, and wear hats made of coonskins.

Please answer one another question. Where do you live and what do you do for a living (if anything)?

*psssst* If you took a shower/bath tonight? Think about the animal somebody else killed for you in order to provide for the soap you used! Just a word for the wise...

Last edited by TexasReb; 07-29-2010 at 01:53 AM..

Old 07-29-2010, 12:54 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,760,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
*GRINS REAL BIG* Getting a little PO'd are we? Good, I think I will give you a few more things to get PO'd about, while examining your own delusions of moral superiority. Also taught in Psych 101 and 102 classes!

That is not a default assumption. I have debated before with anti-hunters who still consumed meat. So you are a total veggie, huh? Kewl.

But do you eat eggs or use butter? If so, remember all that comes from the exploitation of animals. So do you wear any leather products or fur? Use soap which contains animal fats? Please answer the above
Apparently I need to "dumb it down". [/quote]

No, believe me you have "dumbed it down enough"

LOL That pompous, self-righteous, drivel provides you a means of enjoying all the luxuries of modern day society, yet not causing yourself any undue personal inconvenience. In other words, you "regret" and "feel bad" about all this, but justify your own personal failure to actually practice what you preach on the grounds of that "human interference" is already in place. Very typical of a certain ilk.

And by the way, no animal in danger of extinction or even depleted numbers can be legally hunted.

Regardless, hey, if you really feel all THAT strongly about it, then evacuate your house, move into a cave or tree house (just be sure not to upset the birdnests) and give what you formerly paid in rent/house payments to wildlife and animal rights causes.

You sure provide some good laughs.

Ya know, I am betting the cotton crop, that you are one of those who fancy yourself oh so "enlightened" and "tolerant"...but have no problem at all with stereotyping those who disagree with you. Yep, all a bunch of trigger-happy rednecks who get drunk, kill anything that moves, and wear hats made of coonskins.

Please answer one another question. Where do you live and what do you do for a living (if anything)?

*psssst* If you took a shower/bath tonight? Think about the animal somebody else killed for you in order to provide for the soap you used! Just a word for the wise... [/quote]

I don't think that is feasibly possible. Sure I completely agree with him. I wish I would live in nature with a few of my close friends and family like you stated, but society has made that impossible. In today's world, in order to be successful and happy and accepted, you need to be part of society, which is the result of a very long societal process, which we cannot reverse. But is it wrong to wish that it never happened in the first place? I think not.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelers247 View Post
I don't think that is feasibly possible. Sure I completely agree with him. I wish I would live in nature with a few of my close friends and family like you stated, but society has made that impossible. In today's world, in order to be successful and happy and accepted, you need to be part of society, which is the result of a very long societal process, which we cannot reverse. But is it wrong to wish that it never happened in the first place? I think not.
I don't know, is it? Do you really wish that? Do you really wish that all the modern day conveniences you take for granted -- including buying slaughtered meat from a supermarket -- had never been invented/created?

If so, then there really are options. Sell your own home or take what you pay for rent/mortage/electricity and buy some cheap land somewhere. Build your own shelter with whatever is available and live off wild mushrooms and pine nuts. And clothe yourself with fig leaves.

If someone genuinely cries tears over that humans are hunting/fishing/exploiting animals for food or whatever, or displacing them, then do something about it yourself besides making a nauseating speech about it all.

I am not really directing this at you, Pitt, as, again, you seem fairly reasonable on the subject. My comments are directed toward those out there like the earlier poster who presume to speak down to others on this subject, yet will give up none of the benefits themselves.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
hunter's pay the fees/licenses/etc because they are required to not because they give a damn about conservation. If it were optional none would pay. Hunter's are usually those who want to feel in control or flex their machismo muscles. I'm against killing any animal for food, hell I'm against hurting animals for any purpose. I'm against encroaching on their land or the dumbasses who build a cabin in the mountains and then shoot a mountain lion because it wandered into their "backyard".
Not true. Once these fees were purely volunteer, and if not for the sport hunter creating the rule of LAW there would be no wild game left to worry about. We have created catch and release for fishing as well.

A cabin in the woods? How about city dweller condos everywhere with as you put it 'dumbass' city dwellers with a constant whine about there friggin stuipd shrubbery, parked smack in a deer wintering yard.

The very ones calling hunting all these names are so far removed from nature they couldn't see it if you gave them a Huble.

Maybe not you, but any veggie head who somehow thinks he isn't using any animal bi-products but also doesn raise every bit of his own foods chemical free is just in denial, a 'feel good' thing because you can't possible buy any food totally animal free, and the ladies are worse. There is all sorts of things in make up as animal bi-products.

And then you all hate leather, but will wear animal killing plastic with the utmost wild abandon! Plastic kills wild animals the world over, making plastic kills wild animals, wearing plastic kills wild animals, and throwing the crap plastic away kills animals.. You don't get it, but wearing polyester clothing is killing wild animals.

There is nothing natural about citys, suburbs, or being closer to nature in that life style period.

Hunters are not the problem, human emotion is, that and non hunters!

Dinsney land isn't how to learn about the wild. There is nothing natural about not hunting. There is nothing natural about making the globe a toxic waste dump either, with trillions of tons of waste plastic.

Plastic is a toxic oil waste bi-product. Everyone is so worried about a few million gallons of oil in the Gulf. That isn't even 1% of the global problem of plastic. Our cars are made of it, our homes are filled with it, we friggin wear it, eat it, and crap the stuff out by the ton.

We handle foods with it, cook in it, and we wonder why we have cancer?

98% of us would die in the first 15 minutes, if we lived in nature just for panic.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:15 AM

Note I will be away till no less than Monday. So I wont get to see any replies till then. But I will be back and i will not forget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting