Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2010, 12:32 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
I'm a Latino city dweller with an MBA. I am a successful contractor who loves to hunt. All three of my children hunt. One of my daughters who hunts is a wildlife biologist with the state of California. So much for ignorant liberal ecofascist stereotypes. Now I'm going to have a piece of Elk jerky for a snack while I map out our families fall Bambi hunt for October!
For you and for your daughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 02:01 PM

23,548 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Default hunting is not a sport

Hunting is a way of life for many of us...... not a sport!

It is a communion of life which confirms that man is inseperable from nature.

Hunting is one small aspect of living with an awareness of the relationship of all living organisms to each other and to their environment. This includes the celestial choreography of the planets which set the standards of light, temperature and atmosphere to which all living things respond as an orchestra responds to a single conductor.

More time is spent year around in woods, fields and waters observing and understanding the natural treasures hidden in plain view from professed nature lovers, nature neutral and nature oblivious.

The gardner and hunter both nourish and maintain their crop with reverence to ensure reliable and long term consumption. To say a hunter hates animals is to say a gardener hates plants because he tears them asunder and eats them.
In a society based on laws, the person who pays someone money for meat is as complicit as the person who hires a hit man to pull the trigger.

The anti-hunting crowd is entitled to their own opinion which I would never try to change. My response is for the nature neutral or nature oblivious that may read this thread.

"to shoot within a bow", as the old English phrase goes, is my preference.

The red fox has his preference as well.

pffft!

Old 08-06-2010, 02:06 PM

46,276 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
I'm a Latino city dweller with an MBA. I am a successful contractor who loves to hunt. All three of my children hunt. One of my daughters who hunts is a wildlife biologist with the state of California. So much for ignorant liberal ecofascist stereotypes. Now I'm going to have a piece of Elk jerky for a snack while I map out our families fall Bambi hunt for October!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
For you and for your daughter.
And for the Bambi hunt.....

Old 08-07-2010, 06:48 PM

17 posts, read 20,003 times
http://ecolocalizer.com/files/2009/07/baby-tiger.jpg

The tiger, one of nature's most beautiful, powerful and intelligent animals, is currently endangered due to hunting. Do you think these people were eating the tigers? If they were, do you think the tiger was their best and easiest choice for them to eat? Do you think they had no more sustainable meat available? Hunters, justify this: a "time honored tradition" is killing of one of Earth's most beloved creatures.

You might say that you hunt only animals that are not endangered. Well, tigers weren't always endangered either.

You might say that any meat is contributing to the decline of a species. This really isn't a thought out argument. These animals were born for food. Tigers weren't. Foxes weren't. Deer weren't.

So before the next time you go out on a hunt... think about how you are impacting not just this animal, not just this environment, but the entire world. Perhaps, because of you, your great-grandchildren will never be able to go into the forest and see a deer or a fox. Don't we owe them the opportunity to experience nature and her beauty? Don't we?

Old 08-07-2010, 06:55 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Habitat loss more so than hunting has endangered the tiger.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:01 PM

46,276 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero/Infinity View Post

So before the next time you go out on a hunt... think about how you are impacting not just this animal, not just this environment, but the entire world. Perhaps, because of you, your great-grandchildren will never be able to go into the forest and see a deer or a fox. Don't we owe them the opportunity to experience nature and her beauty? Don't we?
I do hope you realize that if we do not hunt them....the same thing may happen....Over population is a big concern, disease and not enough food could very well give you the same outcome if hunting was stopped....

I bet the parents of this 16 year old daughter will differ with you....

*****One notorious man-eating tigress, known as the Champawat Tigress, killed some 200 men and women before being driven out of Nepal. She moved to another location, this time in India, and continued to kill, bringing her total up to 436 before she was tracked down and killed in 1911. She was known to enter villages, even during daylight, roaring and causing people to flee in panic to their huts.[5]
The Champawat Tigress was extremely cunning, as man-eaters usually are. She was found by Jim Corbett because he followed the trail of blood the tigress left behind after killing her last victim, a 16-year-old girl. Later examination of the tigress showed the upper and lower canine teeth on the right side of her mouth were broken—the upper one in half, the lower one right down to the bone. This permanent injury, Corbett claimed, "had prevented her from killing her natural prey, and had been the cause of her becoming a man-eater.*****

Here is the link..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_attack

Old 08-07-2010, 09:21 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,414,674 times
Quote:

The tiger, one of nature's most beautiful, powerful and intelligent animals, is currently endangered due to hunting. Do you think these people were eating the tigers? If they were, do you think the tiger was their best and easiest choice for them to eat? Do you think they had no more sustainable meat available? Hunters, justify this: a "time honored tradition" is killing of one of Earth's most beloved creatures.

You might say that you hunt only animals that are not endangered. Well, tigers weren't always endangered either.

You might say that any meat is contributing to the decline of a species. This really isn't a thought out argument. These animals were born for food. Tigers weren't. Foxes weren't. Deer weren't.

When I go to bed tonight I will go knowing that my kids can fish & hunt ONLY because of the modern sport of hunting. I'll go to sleep proudly knowing that I, & they, make a positive difference by taking an active part in conservation. On another note deer were born as a prey animal & to a large extent foxes are too.

I'm not sure if we are talking about African trophy hunting anyway. I got the impression the OP was speaking of hunting in North America where hunting is now a conservation tool and heavilly regulated.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:51 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:

I'm not buying that anyone could be that committed to hokey idiocy. 17 posts in one day, all regarding some controversial topic, all taking an over-the-top, polarized stance that borders on or crosses over into lunacy.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:26 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:

Fail!

The tiger is endangered not because of hunting but because of poaching and illegal trade. Please get your facts correct and at least be honest.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:59 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
I like felines of all sorts too much to shoot one unless my life were really endagered. People are freaking out over bobcat sightings around here as if they were seeing tigers! Lions, tigers, etc are easily shot because they all gave relatively thin skins, but they are just too beautiful, and there aren't many left.

I'm all in favor of deer hunting for meat and for population control. Trophy heads...not really. They are too beautiful attached to the live deer, in order for other people to have the pleasure of seeing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting