Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2010, 01:37 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,986,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Poaching is hunting.

The tigers are the business of the people in Asia.

I suspect there are more deer in Illinois now than when the Indians lived here.
There are.

Eliminating wolves and mountain lions, and replacing much of the forest and plains and wetlands with agricultural fields (ie, deer cafeterias) will have that effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 01:59 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,986,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Here in the state of Kalifornia the eco fascists have put a stop to mountain lion hunting for awhile. Hopefully someday they will get tired of the attacks on joggers in state parks. I ran across a cat one time in my life and I hope it was the last. I was dragging a dead deer down a shale mountain side. I stopped to take a break for some water. As I stood looking around I saw a lion about 100 ft away on a rock outcropping staring at me wagging its tail wagging slowly back and forth. I put the cross hairs on the cat and stood there for about five minutes waiting to see if it wanted to die by coming closer. It left and I slowly made my way down the mountain. Glad I stopped to look back. Always a smart thing to do in cat and bear country.
Actually, after Governor Ronald Reagan halted mountain lion hunting in California in 1972 it took less than a decade for the population to rebound and stabilize. But all through the west, attacks on people have increased. What do Colorado, New Mexico, Montana, Alberta and British Columbia have in common? The per capita rate of fatal mountain lion attacks on humans exceeds that of California in all five of these states/provinces. Now why would that be? All of these states still allow sport hunting. The reason is that it was never sport hunting which checked the mountain lion population sufficiently to suppress attacks on humans; what kept the population of mountain lions so low is that prior to the 1960s, it was completely unprotected as a game animal throughout the west. Mountain lions could be killed on sight at will.

Now, if we did the same thing with deer - lift all protections on them and allow at-will hunting, the population could be decimated just like it was before deer were protected early in the 20th century. And this would save over 100 lives annually - such is the number of drivers killed in the United States by deer when those deer run out in front of vehicles.

Should we do that?

I think not. There are room for both door and humans. And mountain lions, too. Please note that it wouldn't concern me if there were mountain lion hunting in California. But as Colorado and Montana and other places demonstrated, sport-hunting of mountain lions does not sufficiently reduce population so as to stop attacks on humans.

List of fatal cougar attacks in North America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-10-2010, 02:16 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,903 times
Personally, I'm not sure about that. Hunting, fishing, foraging and trapping are some of those activities that I think the government unfortunately needs to regulate. "At will" hunting caused the extinction of swans, caribou, passenger pigeons, wolves, and a host of other critters here in the Northeast. People generally don't know when "enough is enough".

Old 08-10-2010, 03:28 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,684,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Actually, after Governor Ronald Reagan halted mountain lion hunting in California in 1972 it took less than a decade for the population to rebound and stabilize. But all through the west, attacks on people have increased. What do Colorado, New Mexico, Montana, Alberta and British Columbia have in common? The per capita rate of fatal mountain lion attacks on humans exceeds that of California in all five of these states/provinces. Now why would that be? All of these states still allow sport hunting. The reason is that it was never sport hunting which checked the mountain lion population sufficiently to suppress attacks on humans; what kept the population of mountain lions so low is that prior to the 1960s, it was completely unprotected as a game animal throughout the west. Mountain lions could be killed on sight at will.

Now, if we did the same thing with deer - lift all protections on them and allow at-will hunting, the population could be decimated just like it was before deer were protected early in the 20th century. And this would save over 100 lives annually - such is the number of drivers killed in the United States by deer when those deer run out in front of vehicles.

Should we do that?

I think not. There are room for both door and humans. And mountain lions, too. Please note that it wouldn't concern me if there were mountain lion hunting in California. But as Colorado and Montana and other places demonstrated, sport-hunting of mountain lions does not sufficiently reduce population so as to stop attacks on humans.

List of fatal cougar attacks in North America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Who said anything about lifting all protections. Mountain Lions should be managed as a game species just like bears. I am well aware of the whole California Mountain Lion saga that started well before Reagan's stupid decision to sign the five year moratorium. I could care less about attacks on humans.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:44 PM

46,261 posts, read 27,078,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
I could care less about attacks on humans.
Yea, a cougars life (any animal) is more important than a human....

Old 08-10-2010, 05:20 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,684,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Yea, a cougars life (any animal) is more important than a human....
If you go into the wild you should know that you might be attacked by a furry woodland creature with fangs and claws that might want to eat you. Its that simple. My statement has nothing to do with assigning importance of one species over another.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:26 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,903 times
That's what we were taught in motorcycle safety class...it's called " risk acceptance".

Old 08-10-2010, 05:48 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Some how I don't think Bulldogdad means people should get eatten, exactly, just that he doesn't care if they are. When I go in the woods not at hunting season I am armed anyway. I don't really expect 4 leggeded to bother me much but if they do they have the same chances as 2 leggeds who might bother me, and on that I don't really care much either.

These days anything goes, and if yer chasin butterflys, every once in a while it might be a good idea to check yer back trail.

In Yellowstone city people mingle with great big buffers. Talk about clueless. I have was havin a full blown hissey fit on a motorcycle because that crowd ended up comeing my way, the buffers sort of movedd the inter mingled people hearding these fools. I manage to get the bike and it's trailer turned around, and rode out of that mess. I waited for the buffers to clear the bloomin road.

This mob of people actted like they were in some sheep farm, and the buffers were tame. There is no such thing as a tame buffer and owners and handlers get hurt all the time.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:09 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Some how I don't think Bulldogdad means people should get eatten, exactly, just that he doesn't care if they are. When I go in the woods not at hunting season I am armed anyway. I don't really expect 4 leggeded to bother me much but if they do they have the same chances as 2 leggeds who might bother me, and on that I don't really care much either.

These days anything goes, and if yer chasin butterflys, every once in a while it might be a good idea to check yer back trail.

In Yellowstone city people mingle with great big buffers. Talk about clueless. I have was havin a full blown hissey fit on a motorcycle because that crowd ended up comeing my way, the buffers sort of movedd the inter mingled people hearding these fools. I manage to get the bike and it's trailer turned around, and rode out of that mess. I waited for the buffers to clear the bloomin road.

This mob of people actted like they were in some sheep farm, and the buffers were tame. There is no such thing as a tame buffer and owners and handlers get hurt all the time.

YouTube - ‪Bison Charges at Tourist‬‎

Is this sort of what you mean by "clueless"?

Even a white tail can definitely kick your @ss.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:21 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Yup, that guy got out real lucky.

Yes Sir, a white tail in NH can put the whoppin on a man, and kick the stuffins out of him real easy. After getting shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting