Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2010, 05:25 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
No. Hunting is the act of "taking" wildlife. Shopping is the act of buying something. The legality of the act is intrinsic in shopping but not in hunting.

If one looks upon hunting as a sport then perhaps poaching isn't hunting. But to define hunting as a sport only is a very limited definition of an activity people have engaged in for thousands of years; since long before there were any notions of sport or legality involved with it.

I think we are talking about now, today, in the modern era. Or is the assertion that subsistance hunters were unethical cruel people?

In todays world we have a word for those who take wildlife illegally, it is poacher, very few rational people would consider poaching & hunting the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 05:31 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
By whose definition? Dictionaries seem clear as to what hunting is. I maintain that poaching is illegal hunting but not "not hunting". The dictionary seems to agree.
Poach | Define Poach at Dictionary.com

definition of poach from Oxford Dictionaries Online

I think there's some political or social agenda at work here and that some who defend hunting seek to deal with hunting's unsavory elements by defining them as not being part of hunting. Then the problem goes away.

There is simply no problem, other than the political or social agenda that is trying to define a natural act as wrong.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:47 PM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I looked at your link, you were a bit off content.

–noun
7. a homosexual person, esp. a male.

In this case the qualifier/adj is homosexual.

I could not find your phrase used.

why the hell did you even go there??
It was nothing towards anyone.....just to prove a point that "how you interpret a definition does not mean you are correct...

Go back and re-read all the comments....someone said, just because the word "hunting" is used in the dictionary in conjunction poaching, then hunting is poaching...

It's my twisted way of thinking....

Old 08-12-2010, 05:51 PM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I looked at your link, you were a bit off content.

–noun
7. a homosexual person, esp. a male.

In this case the qualifier/adj is homosexual.

I could not find your phrase used.

why the hell did you even go there??
I am using my own interpretation of the definition, that is what everyone else is doing...picking certain words and not reading the entire definitions.

**************noun7.a homosexual person, esp. a male.*******************

Old 08-12-2010, 07:17 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
I think we are talking about now, today, in the modern era. Or is the assertion that subsistance hunters were unethical cruel people?

In todays world we have a word for those who take wildlife illegally, it is poacher, very few rational people would consider poaching & hunting the same.
I believe the attempt is to paint hunters in the same poor light as poachers by using a very broad brush. At least that is what I have gathered from this thread. I agree that it is not a rational arguement by today's standards.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:20 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
There sure isn't much rational these days.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:34 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
There sure isn't much rational these days.

That's both the short and long of a very sad but very real truth.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:52 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
Responsible hunters despise poachers. They are as interested in wildlife management as anyone else, and poachers are most assuredly not.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:43 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
every time you sit down to eat meat, a sentient being was killed. we have removed ourselves from the process and delegate the job to those far away.
the intention of hunting should be to teach what we are doing and why. unfortunately this is often lost sight of. our lack of life/death connection is at the root of many of of social ills.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:49 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
It's not my intention to defend poaching or bumrap hunters and I think hunting is a good thing, even poaching in some cases. That some here cannot deal with the fact that poaching is a form of hunting is interesting and perhaps evidence of an agenda and an Orwellian attempt to control thought by controlling language: the fallacious logic being--- 1. Poaching is hunting 2. Poaching is wrong 3. Therefore hunting is wrong.

Thus in an attempt to defend hunting from this faulty logic some put forth the faulty premise that poaching isn't hunting. Then the fallacious logic can run--- 1. Poaching is wrong 2. Poaching isn't hunting 3. Therefore hunting isn't wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting