Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 04:53 PM

46,276 posts, read 27,093,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Then you agree with me.
No I do not....Your statement was.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Well I submit one needn't do something to know whether or not one will enjoy it. Certain sexual practices come to mind.......
You say that you can not do something and know that you will not enjoy it...

I'm saying, I like something, but would not go to the extent that other would do to enjoy the same thing...

You are just flat out saying that no matter what, I don't care, but I don't like it becasue "I just know" which is wrong....even though I have never tried it....

Not sure how you thought I was agreeing with you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 05:58 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
It shoudn't 'need' to be, but it probably does, and that is the Right to Bear Arms, which has nothing to do with hunting, but it does, and women must count in it.

When ever I am given the opportunity to lend even a mini lesson for a woman I do, and I do my best to not discourage her. Which means I don't lend them a shoulder pounder for the first attempts. And if they insist, I give fair warning.

I even fool them sometimes if they insist to fire a black powder long gun, by using the slightest of charges, that in someways simulate a .22 or a big BB gun.

I use this method myself to work up the most accurate loads a little more power at a time. Usually a big grin is all the pay off ya git, but that's better than a lot of other things that could happen.
Too funny. This is how I met my SO.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:25 PM

141 posts, read 293,068 times
I grew up around people who hunted. To this day, I don't see any legitimate reason for it outside of hunting for food. One family friend hunted deer and donated the meat to food banks, which was great. I don't really 'get' hunting, probably because I don't eat meat, but I suppose I can understand it to an extent.

That said, I can see why people would choose to hunt for food over buying the stuff from the grocery store, some of the things they stick in farm-raised animals are nas-tay, and I'm going to have to agree that it's likely a whole lot more humane to go off and shoot animals in the wild than support an industry that is just...I can't find the words for it.

As for people who hunt 'for fun', or go to those 'hunting ranges', and don't use the meat, you have no reason to shoot animals, go take up a better 'hobby' than shooting fish in a barrel.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:49 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaomao View Post
I grew up around people who hunted. To this day, I don't see any legitimate reason for it outside of hunting for food. One family friend hunted deer and donated the meat to food banks, which was great. I don't really 'get' hunting, probably because I don't eat meat, but I suppose I can understand it to an extent.

That said, I can see why people would choose to hunt for food over buying the stuff from the grocery store, some of the things they stick in farm-raised animals are nas-tay, and I'm going to have to agree that it's likely a whole lot more humane to go off and shoot animals in the wild than support an industry that is just...I can't find the words for it.

As for people who hunt 'for fun', or go to those 'hunting ranges', and don't use the meat, you have no reason to shoot animals, go take up a better 'hobby' than shooting fish in a barrel.

I have only heard of this donation thing. DO you know enough to say how that works? Does your friend field dress and maybe pay a butcher to cut and wrap meat? I just am curious.

I hunt in the way of the North American Native circa 1800 pretty much, using every last possible part of a thing. I use the non-edible parts as much as the meat, making tools, containers, glue, clothing, and what ever else I can, depending on the nature of the game animal.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I have only heard of this donation thing. DO you know enough to say how that works? Does your friend field dress and maybe pay a butcher to cut and wrap meat? I just am curious.

I hunt in the way of the North American Native circa 1800 pretty much, using every last possible part of a thing. I use the non-edible parts as much as the meat, making tools, containers, glue, clothing, and what ever else I can, depending on the nature of the game animal.
In my area there are a variety of ways to donate. Most involve field dressing and paying a portion of the processing fee when dropping off at the butcher. I used to take processed venison directly to local food banks and soup kitchen but those days of accepting food from unknown sources are all but gone.

Back before there was phone-in & online deer check-in the local sheriff in the county where I hunt would accept deer donations and call the families in the area in need of food to come pick it up or have someone deliver it to them (via church) after field dressing and check-in of course.

Links for Hunters for the Hungry:
Hunters for the Hungry Information Clearinghouse

Old 08-31-2010, 09:27 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
This recent egg re-call is really gonna get out of hand. We will be lucky to get any food at all shortly, and by this coming weekend I bet prices go up better than 5%.

I could see ways that not the best hunters could take deer and not exactly do the right thing with a food bank. I can only hope it isn't like what I think it could be.

I would use every bit of mine, frozen or jerked, plus everything else, and when I am done with a deer there is little else. I harvest the hides, sinews, bones, brain for tanning the hide, save the scrapped off hairs as deer make poor rugs, but the hairs are good for many other things. That goes from pillows and quilts stuffin's to tin or copper coane tassels on bags.

In any native museums the orange dyed hairs in metalic cones are usually deer elk or moose, used to decorate mocs and bags.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:11 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,164 times
Sorry....I didn't realize I wasn't entitled to have an opinion Obviously everyone on this thread loves hunting. More power to you.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Sorry....I didn't realize I wasn't entitled to have an opinion Obviously everyone on this thread loves hunting. More power to you.
You are entitled to your opinion, no one suggested you were not. Just because you don't like an activity is no reason not to learn enough about it to recognize that those who participate are doing great things towards conservation of anmials and habitat. That they are also putting food on the table not only for their own families but for many tens of thousands in poverty. Or, would your offense to hunting and those who hunt keep you from acknowledging those truths?

Old 08-31-2010, 03:38 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
You are entitled to your opinion, no one suggested you were not. Just because you don't like an activity is no reason not to learn enough about it to recognize that those who participate are doing great things towards conservation of anmials and habitat. That they are also putting food on the table not only for their own families but for many tens of thousands in poverty. Or, would your disgust keep you from acknowledging that?

I said I had a problem with those doing it for sport. I have no problem with people doing it who are poor in order to feed their families. This is not a place for me to voice my opinion though as it is a pro-hunting thread no one is going to agree with me on here. Its my opinion that's all
Even the OP says he/she doesn't have a problem and I quote with my type of viewpoint :"I've read negative sentiments about hunting several times on these boards. Some of these come from a moral viewpoint, and I'm not trying to contradict a person's morality"

Last edited by KylieEve; 08-31-2010 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: .

Old 08-31-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I said I had a problem with those doing it for sport. I have no problem with people doing it who are poor in order to feed their families. This is not a place for me to voice my opinion though as it is a pro-hunting thread no one is going to agree with me on here. Its my opinion that's all
In Africa that "sport" promotes and allows the funds for the conservations of species under threat by poachers. It gives those in poor countries an economic reason to preserve both animals and habitat. Keep looking deeper. While you may have a problem with the "act" go beyond the kill and understand what is being made possible because of it.

Content - Safari Club International
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting