Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2010, 07:09 PM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
If you go into the wild you should know that you might be attacked by a furry woodland creature with fangs and claws that might want to eat you. Its that simple. My statement has nothing to do with assigning importance of one species over another.
Yep, and internet sarcasm is so easy to understand...or even reading peoples minds.....

Because your statement is so straight forward....no misrepresentation what so ever................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 08:59 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Yep, and internet sarcasm is so easy to understand...or even reading peoples minds.....

Because your statement is so straight forward....no misrepresentation what so ever................
Extremely straight forward.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:00 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Yup, that guy got out real lucky.

Yes Sir, a white tail in NH can put the whoppin on a man, and kick the stuffins out of him real easy. After getting shot.
Just like this Mac Muz

YouTube - ‪Deer Gets Revenge on Hunter‬‎

The antis will love this. I personally would have stuck my K-bar in its lungs.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:32 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
I think I saw that fool on the tv get all beat up by that deer. He asked for it.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:06 PM

469 posts, read 579,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelers247 View Post
Hunters seem to have this mentality that it's ok to hunt because it's a century old tradition. Not hunting for food like the first humans did, but shooting a buck shot into an oblivious deer that had no idea it's day was going to consist of any more than grazing and sleeping. I personally think it's cruel and sick, but any old tradition will have it's defenders. This may be a little off topic from what the OP is talking about, but in Michigan I noticed there was a hunting range, basically a fancy word for fenced in defenseless animals that are raised for people to come in and shoot them. I almost vomited when I drove past it. I know this is overused, but if a deer had tha capabilites to shoot a gun how would the hunter like it if he were just walking through the woods and a deer shot him, tracked him down, and then felt no remorse for ending his life.
I think this post is exactly what the OP is talking about. You believe you are morally superior because you don't hunt. You let someone else "hunt" for you and you pick up the meat at the grocery store. Ignorant, ignorant, ignorant. When I use the word "you," I mean the general you, not necessarily this poster in particular.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:48 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Poaching is hunting.
No its not. Poaching is illegal taking of wildlife. Saying poaching is hunting is like saying stealing is shopping.

Quote:
The tigers are the business of the people in Asia.
agreed to an extent. Its the anti's who always bring up the plight of critters we have nothing to do with.

Quote:
I suspect there are more deer in Illinois now than when the Indians lived here.
Its a known fact. Deer are a prey species. Take away the predators & they multiply like rabbits. As stewards of the environment we have a responsibility to keep the things in balance that we have thrown askew. Hunting today is a game management tool. Many places where they wont allow hunting need to bring in "pros" to cull the herd. So instead of raising money for conservation while providing a source of recreation they spend tax payer money on elite deer snipers.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:22 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I think I saw that fool on the tv get all beat up by that deer. He asked for it.
He definitely asked for it. His wife starts putting the camera down at one point to go help him and he says "KEEP FILMING!!!"

Old 08-11-2010, 08:20 AM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Nearly 30 years ago I moved from PA to MD and was promptly told that deer were few and far between in this area. I think it may have been a 3 day season, I don't remember exactly.

Now, if someone hunts all the seasons, you can harvest up to something like 25 deer. With suburbanization we created a deer smorgasboard with edge habitat and reduction of hunting opportunities because of safety zones.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:37 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,987,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Who said anything about lifting all protections. Mountain Lions should be managed as a game species just like bears.
It won't change reduce the number of attacks on humans.

Quote:
I am well aware of the whole California Mountain Lion saga that started well before Reagan's stupid decision to sign the five year moratorium. I could care less about attacks on humans.
Then you should stop pretending you do by whining about the ban on sport hunting, tying it falsely to attacks on humans, then expressing 'hope' that these attacks will eventually motiviate a re-institution of sport hunting which you apparently concede won't actually reduce the attacks you pretended to be concerned about.
"Here in the state of Kalifornia the eco fascists have put a stop to mountain lion hunting for awhile. Hopefully someday they will get tired of the attacks on joggers in state parks."

Old 08-11-2010, 08:49 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,987,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
That's what we were taught in motorcycle safety class...it's called " risk acceptance".
Yep.

When I drive to the woods and get out of my car, I'm fully aware that I've left the biggest dangers of my outing - other motorists - behind me. If I'm willing to accept the risk of being one of the 33,000+ Americans who die on the roads each year, I'll happily accept the much longer odds of being one of the 3 Americans being killed by a mountain lion per decade.

Anyway, I don't fit the profile even for that small number of attacks, which predominately occur on children and small/petite women, or runners. These size and motion traits apparently stimulate a mountain lion's predatory instincts. being a tall walker apparently does not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting