Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2010, 09:45 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,784,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
The logic of this assertion is unclear and I doubt it would stand scrutiny.

Stalking or baiting and then killing animals is hunting. The notion of poaching is a legal concept that has nothing to do with the basic act of hunting itself. A poacher is a hunter who hunts illegally. You know, like Robin Hood.
I agree that male-rapist:hunter-poacher is not logically sound, but...

Quote:
No. Hunting is the act of "taking" wildlife. Shopping is the act of buying something. The legality of the act is intrinsic in shopping but not in hunting.

If one looks upon hunting as a sport then perhaps poaching isn't hunting. But to define hunting as a sport only is a very limited definition of an activity people have engaged in for thousands of years; since long before there were any notions of sport or legality involved with it.
...you have not adequately demonstrated that hunting-poaching isn't exactly the same relationship as shopping-theft. Whatever the history of human hunting is, the laws that govern the taking of game in this nation/your state are very real and taking game in a manner inconsistent with those laws is, by definition, not hunting. Shopping is, in many ways, the modern equivalent of gathering. Why would that be held to a different standard? Trespassing on private property and harvesting, for example, wild blueberries without some sort of arrangement with the landowner, regardless of whether or not the practice dates back to a time before fee ownership and laws, is not gathering - it's trespassing and a form of theft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Which doesn't mean it's not hunting.

Hunt | Define Hunt at Dictionary.com Note the definition of the word has nothing to do with approval of the act by the law or anyone else. Other dictionaries have a similar definition.

I've known farmers in Wisconsin and Illinois who illegally hunted deer on their farms to put meat on the table. They're poachers but are not killing in mass nor selling to highest bidder and it's not accurate to compare them to Germans exterminating the Jews. Now comparing killing animals to exterminating entire nations; that's an odd notion.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/poach What is the definition of poaching? It seems to me that poaching is intrinsically illegal or involving trespass of some character. If you can't have poaching without trespass or violation of law, then hunting is necessarily in accordance with law or in the absence of law.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:32 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,761,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
, the laws that govern the taking of game in this nation/your state are very real and taking game in a manner inconsistent with those laws is, by definition, not hunting.

By whose definition? Dictionaries seem clear as to what hunting is. I maintain that poaching is illegal hunting but not "not hunting". The dictionary seems to agree.
Poach | Define Poach at Dictionary.com

definition of poach from Oxford Dictionaries Online

I think there's some political or social agenda at work here and that some who defend hunting seek to deal with hunting's unsavory elements by defining them as not being part of hunting. Then the problem goes away.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
If you can't have poaching without trespass or violation of law, then hunting is necessarily in accordance with law or in the absence of law.
How does that follow? Just because poaching is by definition illegal doesn't change the definition of hunting; indeed the word "hunt" is part of the definition of poaching.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:03 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,972,397 times
Farmers that grow crops deer are not interested in may be poachers, but then if the deer are into their crops they have every right to put that deer on the table. If deer get into my corn I have every right to put that deer on my table. That isn't poaching either.

And a hungery farmer taking a der to just feed his family may well be a poacher, but in a court of law if I were on the jury I would let him go as a subsitance hunter.

Poachers to me are seeking $$ gain, like filling a barn full of deer to sell to city slicks who come hunting with a sweet lookin gal from the office, and never do accually step into the woods.

The slick gets his deer and a little something on the side. The poacher sells what ever the slick wants.

Another type poacher around here, takes bear and then just takes the gall blader the orentails use to stiffen their 'pencils' which I deem wrong. Every other part of the bear is wasted.

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 08-12-2010 at 01:14 PM..

Old 08-12-2010, 01:11 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Ok this thread has turned goofy.

All poaching is hunting. Not all hunting is poaching.

nuff said?

Old 08-12-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
How does that follow? Just because poaching is by definition illegal doesn't change the definition of hunting; indeed the word "hunt" is part of the definition of poaching.
In the same way that appropriation is not the same as embezzlement, although appropriation may be a part of the definition of embezzlement. There is a real difference between the lawful, authorized and illegal, fraudulent, unauthorized versions of the same action.

And you're right, the legality of poaching doesn't change the definition of hunting, but that's immaterial.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Ok this thread has turned goofy.

All poaching is hunting. Not all hunting is poaching.

nuff said?

I think so. But I must say I've enjoyed this little discussion and happy it's remained civil. Best regards to all involved.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:14 PM

46,302 posts, read 27,117,053 times
So, with all these definitions....

Everyone in the world must be Gay.....

Gay | Define Gay at Dictionary.com

It says a person is Gay....

Everyone is a person.....so.....

You know, since we are SO reading in between the lines AND using our own presumption of what we think/how we interpret the definition...

Old 08-12-2010, 05:20 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,620,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So, with all these definitions....

Everyone in the world must be Gay.....

Gay | Define Gay at Dictionary.com

It says a person is Gay....

Everyone is a person.....so.....

You know, since we are SO reading in between the lines AND using our own presumption of what we think/how we interpret the definition...
I looked at your link, you were a bit off content.

–noun
7. a homosexual person, esp. a male.

In this case the qualifier/adj is homosexual.

I could not find your phrase used.

why the hell did you even go there??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting