Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 04:32 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,384,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Shooting first helps you stay alive.

Did you read the entire thread? NOBODY, including me is disputing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 01:12 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wittic View Post
when you aint got it OUT and ready, or even carry it, hmm? Big, heavy guns mean you won't have them, therefore, they aint likely to be of any help when you need one. being slow on the draw is very nearly as bad. Most of the time, just SHOWING someone your (ready to shoot) gun suffices to make them stop their attack. If this were not true, lots and lots of people would fail at defending themselves, cause they AINT at all good with the shooting, much less their tactics.

Do you have any facts to back up the statement in bold?

Old 01-21-2012, 06:18 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
You do nOT threaten people with a gun. This is an all too easy method of finding out if they have a bigger faster gun. Show me yours--now I am threatened--so now I pull my gun and I don't play--now you have the answer to "How do you shoot someone with a gun" OR "HOW DO I GET SHOT WITH A GUN?"-- By being stupid and engaging in GUN PLAY...because I carry a gun and like MOST folks who carry, we ARE good with the shooting, much MORE with our tactics! Both of which you should have if you want to carry.

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 01-21-2012 at 06:27 AM..

Old 01-21-2012, 07:02 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,195 times
My concealed carry weapon is an insurance policy, not a show piece. I am the only one who knows where it is when I'm in public. I don't have it so I can threaten others. It is when another makes the deadly threat with his/her weapon that I would put it to use, and this with sharp discernment of the situation.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:46 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
My concealed carry weapon is an insurance policy, not a show piece. I am the only one who knows where it is when I'm in public. I don't have it so I can threaten others. It is when another makes the deadly threat with his/her weapon that I would put it to use, and this with sharp discernment of the situation.
Absolutely, you are dead on.

It is exactly an insurance policy. When I have a fender bender, I don't take my insurance policy out and shake it at the car dealer, or show it to him to see if that's enough to get him to fix my vehicle. I take it out and put it into action. I use it.

Those of us that carry do so for a reason and that is protection of life and property.

I have carried for over 20 years and have had to put my weapon into use, 1 time and I certainly didn't take it out and show the intruder, or threaten him with it, nor nor did I yell at the top of my lungs, "Halt or I'll shoot." I just did what was needed to put an end to the situation.

Edit - One other thing I want to mention. I don't practice like the op does, nor do I shoot more ammo then the Navy, Army, Air Force, and Marine shooting teams, combined, like the op does. Nor do I score higher scores then the people at Camp Perry every year, like the op does. Nor, with 50 years of practice, did I ever practice for the position, stance, situation that I ultimately had to use.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 01-22-2012 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-21-2012, 09:43 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Edit - One other thing I want to mention. I don't practice like the op does, nor do I shoot more ammo then the Navy, Army, Air Force, and Marine shooting teams, combined, like the op does. Nor do I score higher scores then the people at Camp Perry every year, like the op does. Nor, with 50 years of practice, did I ever practice for the position, stance, situation that I ultimately had to use.

I have noticed that apparently about 99% of the people on the Internet can out-shoot me any day of the week. I may be one of the few people on Earth who can't put 6 holes in a target at 50 yards within a 3" circle rapid-hip-firing a .44 mag. Doesn't it suck to suck so bad? I feel your shame brother.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:49 AM

409 posts, read 318,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wittic View Post
when you aint got it OUT and ready, or even carry it, hmm? Big, heavy guns mean you won't have them, therefore, they aint likely to be of any help when you need one. being slow on the draw is very nearly as bad. Most of the time, just SHOWING someone your (ready to shoot) gun suffices to make them stop their attack. If this were not true, lots and lots of people would fail at defending themselves, cause they AINT at all good with the shooting, much less their tactics.
This is indeed true more often than not. HOWEVER, it is NOT because the person drew their weapon intending to "threaten" or "scare" someone. They had full justification to use it. The person on the receiving end chickened out and fled at the last minute. That's something you can't help. It's a win-win if that in fact does happen. Don't ever count on that to happen. You ARE, indeed, counting on that to happen to buy a firearm , load a cylinder or magazine and NEVER practice with it. Buying a cheap Saturday night special is about as bad. Ok, it's a real gun, is it going to work? In some cases, it's doubtful. Don't ever point or draw your weapon unless you are fully justified to use it. I've been sitting at a railroad xing late at night before. I had my carry piece stuffed in between the two front seats on the 40/20/40 split bench. It rides snuggly and is much easier to deploy than drawing from a holster while belted in and or a jacket on as well. Some characters walking, either drunk or stoned, got a little too close to my vehicle. I placed my hand near the grip but left it in between the seats. Had a crowbar smashed my side window out and a arm reached in, my hand was already there and ready. They never saw anything and moved along. Something else people forget about is how you look presenting the weapon. Does it look professional or that you have trained a great deal with it? Does it look like you know what you are doing? Many I've seen handle at gun shops and at gun shows do NOT! Fingers on triggers, not clearing first before dryfiring/handling, pointing or waiving the business end around etc. All of which make you look like a ROOKIE! Someone with a quality weapon, obviously KNOWS how to use it, and what they are doing, WILL scare many off. You can just tell by the look in the guys eyes. "Stop what you are doing or you are as good as dead!" The look or image of "playing" NEVER crossed the perps mind.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:44 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post

I so much agree with this. I am prepared to endure any quantity of offensive conduct by others with no response involving my firearm. If a situation arises requiring its use, the first indication of its existence will be a muzzle flash.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:55 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
CCW instructor:

"If you point the gun, you shoot the gun. The end. This is not a game."

Old 01-22-2012, 02:12 PM

409 posts, read 318,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
CCW instructor:

"If you point the gun, you shoot the gun. The end. This is not a game."
Don't shoot the guy who craps his panties at the last second as he turns and runs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting