Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 07:17 PM

409 posts, read 318,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
My point? You really have to ask that...

So, you are agreeing with them.....
Learn it the right way and practice that. I saw a lady next to me unload a D/A only Ruger SP101 hammerless over and over again last night. The guy she was with was busy doing his thing and couldn't care less. He was five lanes down from her. She hit the target holder with it a few times. She needed help and coaching badly. She was just blasting ammo. He should have stepped in and worked with her about the proper sight picture and dryfiring to learn how to squeeze the trigger without jerking. He didn't help so WE did!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Remember if the target/offender is 50 yards away they are likely not a threat to you.

The one time I pulled and shot was at 3am in my bedroom. I had to make the quick decision between my glasses or the 45. I placed two 45 slugs in a belly, who ever owned that belly left my home and did not return.
50 yards is rifle territory. 25-50 feet isn't out of line though. It amazes me all the guys who only shoot and practice at 7-10 feet. What if...what if...what if you are scr*wed?

Old 01-22-2012, 07:41 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxQ View Post
50 yards is rifle territory. 25-50 feet isn't out of line though. It amazes me all the guys who only shoot and practice at 7-10 feet. What if...what if...what if you are scr*wed?
I play around at those distances from time to time but that's against paper. In the real world I'm not about to engage in a gun fight at those distances with a pistol cause I'd be too busy running, ducking and dodging, anything to increase those distances.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I play around at those distances from time to time but that's against paper. In the real world I'm not about to engage in a gun fight at those distances with a pistol cause I'd be too busy running, ducking and dodging, anything to increase those distances.
My garage from one end to another is 25'! I never rule it out. I also was forced to become better because my indoor range won't allow anything less than 25'. It's a 50' range max. You have to qualify at 50' before they will even let you shoot there. Even newbs after some practice can do it. So can all of you!

Old 01-22-2012, 07:56 PM

Yes, that NEWB lady with the SP101 WAS shooting at 25'. It was about 28' actually. She was past the painted line. She didn't have anything to be ashamed about. Many men can't do any better!

Old 01-22-2012, 08:02 PM

My mistake guys! My garage is 30'...I just went and taped it off!

Old 01-23-2012, 06:17 AM

46,306 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxQ View Post
Learn it the right way and practice that. I saw a lady next to me unload a D/A only Ruger SP101 hammerless over and over again last night. The guy she was with was busy doing his thing and couldn't care less. He was five lanes down from her. She hit the target holder with it a few times. She needed help and coaching badly. She was just blasting ammo. He should have stepped in and worked with her about the proper sight picture and dryfiring to learn how to squeeze the trigger without jerking. He didn't help so WE did!
Maybe you are not really understanding what I'm saying.....I was thrown under the bus....because I said PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.....and now everyone and their brother says PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE....and those same people don't say a word....

BTW, you can go to the range and find people like you talk about on a daily basis...However, what I just don't see, (and I've been to a range or 2 in my life) is people practiceing like everyone here on this board is tlaking about.

Here is my quote, and the bashing I took....

Quote:
Rifles are much easier to shoot, more of a stable platform
Quote:

Trigger pull and how you hold the pistol is much more important with a pistol....it is important in rifle also but more so in a pistol.

I would shoot for the body not the head, just a personnel opinion.....more to shoot at with less chances of a miss.

You never said how far your pistol target was? I would not put it further than 15 - 25 steps....

The most important thing with shooting is practice practice and more practice....if you get frustrated, walk away....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
One poster said to practice, practice, practice, but all of that practice does no good whatsoever if you don't know what you are doing in the first place. A rifle is easier to shoot accurately for most people because the sighting radius is longer, so a small error is not as great with a longer barrel (greater distance between front sight and rear sight) as it is with a shorter barrel. With a pistol you must keep your eyes on the sights so alignment will be perfect with the target, before you pull the trigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
There is always room for improvement. Get some formal training and/or join a action shooting club in your area affiliated with IDPA or IPSC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

Head shots require front sight focus and trigger control. You need to brush up on your fundamental skills until you are making your shots consistently. If you've never learned the fundamentals properly you may never progress, thus my suggestion for formal training.

Spot on as always. Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect. Most shooters do not know what they do not know until they begin attending formal training.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:40 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
I have to toss in my two cents on this subject. The biggest problem is trying to prepare for the unexpected.

It is easy to prepare for somebody breaking into your house. It’s your house; you know where every window and door is located or any other possible entrances. You know where your lights are located. You know the quality of the locks and doors. You are aware of masonry walls, cast iron tubs, dressers or anything that might stop or slow bullets. You know where your weapons are kept. These are advantages that you, as the property owner, have over any intruder - presuming that that intruder is not knowledgeable of your home.

As a home owner or renter; you can change the rules of the “game”. You can make a dummy and place it where an intruder would encounter it first. If your dummy gets shot; you know the intentions of your intruders and it also alerts you. You could place an unloaded gun in plane sight (if you did not have kids). That way an intruder could give away their intentions and you could be prepared with the loaded weapon.

Everybody should play out possible scenarios with their family. It could simply be an evolved fire drill to include the what-if’s.

I also believe practice - with an exception. Sitting at the rifle bench and plinking away all day long will not prepare us for the what-if’s. Sporting clays are probably better practice. Grouse hunting in the thicket is also great practice. However; the best practice you could get would be something similar to the FBI’s Hogan’s Alley.

Not every intruder in your area will be hostile. Sometimes loved ones forget keys or try to surprise you. You have to be prepared to stand down or shoot in only moments. Having the means to protect yourself and your family is both a blessing and a curse. If you are not 110% sure that the target is there to harm you or your family; it is better to stand down or to have never reached for your weapon in the first place.

Even being fully prepared; there can always be the unexpected. I also agree with most posters not to threaten any intruder - just be prepared and act if it comes to that.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Maybe you are not really understanding what I'm saying.....I was thrown under the bus....because I said PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.....and now everyone and their brother says PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE....and those same people don't say a word....

BTW, you can go to the range and find people like you talk about on a daily basis...However, what I just don't see, (and I've been to a range or 2 in my life) is people practiceing like everyone here on this board is tlaking about.

[font=Verdana][color=black]
Oh, I see what you are asking now. And YES, I agree with you Chuck. It does take PRACTICE-PRACTICE-PRACTICE. Someone can tell you what you should do all day. If you don't try it for yourself, you won't know how to apply it. Like that lady the other night. Her husband, BF, SO (whatever he was) was more engrossed in his own activities and couldn't care less. She didn't even know what proper a sight picture should look like on that SP101. What a jerk he was to ignore her. She seemed proud, and not the asking type either. We saw her struggling and added a few pointers. Her "blasting" turned into hitting a 12" circle in less than 30 minutes at 28'. Mind you, this was a gal who just started shooting and was using a snubnose at that. I would venture to say, after a few more boxes and a few more range visits... applying what we taught her will cut that down to 10". Give it more time, it will be 8" and so-on....... At 28' with a snubnose, about 4" would be ideal. I bet she will get there, now that someone "showed her how to shoot"!

Old 01-23-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:

[font=Verdana][color=black]
BTW Chuck, your 15 to 25 steps sounds like the same range. You aren't shooting 7' to 10' either! Good plan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting