Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 01:55 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,464,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Thanks - I've been watching it for a year. I drove to Wyoming twice since this last May to get a sense of the area. I grew up in South Dakota, so I know winter! I was in Jackson in July and staying across the pass in Idaho for a few days ... Must say that drive over the pass at midnight (had to stay at the cowboy bar and do some boot scootin'!) gave me quite a scare - and that was summer. I can't imagine driving Teton pass in the winter, day OR night! That pass scares me more than weather!! So I wouldn't be living in Victor! As far as weather goes -- Hmmm... right to carry & need more blankets vs. no rights but warmer. I'll take the blankets! Plus - more cowboys and real men in Wyoming. Works for me!
I could not handle the winters in the mid-western northern States, which is why I live in Alaska today.

Apparently winter will come as no surprise to you. Wyoming is a beautiful State, particularly the western part of the State. I use to hunt antelope and elk in Wyoming. Too bad there is not more of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 07:29 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times
So Glitch, you moved to Ak for the sunshine huh? LOL

Old 09-13-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
So Glitch, you moved to Ak for the sunshine huh? LOL
Yea, and 21 years later I am still working on that tan.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:46 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Yea, and 21 years later I am still working on that tan.
I had a tan one day last June myself

Old 09-14-2012, 02:00 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,156,033 times
I have kind of narrowed it down to the panhandle of Idaho verses north western/north eastern wyoming.....let the great debate begin...

Old 09-14-2012, 04:40 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,105,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noihoforus View Post
I have kind of narrowed it down to the panhandle of Idaho verses north western/north eastern wyoming.....let the great debate begin...
From a "firearms friendly" and "good hunting" point of view, all 3 choices would be a "10" on my scale.

Idaho Panhandle has more trees, but the north half of WY is picturesque as well.

WY I think is a bit more tax friendly.

Both have really serious winters, make sure the house you buy is well-insulated, and uses a reasonably cost-effective form of heat. I would not be without some sort of heater that will work with no mains power. In this part of the country, in severe weather, you may have a power outage that goes a few days, and it's up to you to keep enough heat in the house to at least not freeze the pipes.

If you get the right clothes, and I would suggest you buy them locally, as the locals already know what works best there, with the right clothes even -40 is not that big a deal.

Jack O'Connor and Elmer Keith agreed on little, but they both lived in the northern part of Idaho.

Good luck, I don't see anything bad on your menu.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
From a "firearms friendly" and "good hunting" point of view, all 3 choices would be a "10" on my scale.

Idaho Panhandle has more trees, but the north half of WY is picturesque as well.

WY I think is a bit more tax friendly.

Both have really serious winters, make sure the house you buy is well-insulated, and uses a reasonably cost-effective form of heat. I would not be without some sort of heater that will work with no mains power. In this part of the country, in severe weather, you may have a power outage that goes a few days, and it's up to you to keep enough heat in the house to at least not freeze the pipes.

If you get the right clothes, and I would suggest you buy them locally, as the locals already know what works best there, with the right clothes even -40 is not that big a deal.

Jack O'Connor and Elmer Keith agreed on little, but they both lived in the northern part of Idaho.

Good luck, I don't see anything bad on your menu.
If Wyoming rates a "10" on your scale for "firearms friendly" and "good hunting" point of view, how would you rate Alaska, which is even more "firearms friendly" and "better hunting" than Wyoming or Idaho?

Old 09-16-2012, 04:17 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,625,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
very true, but at least wisconsin actually considered constitutional carry. also wisconsin still has open carry without any permit.

So does Ohio.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:21 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,105,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
If Wyoming rates a "10" on your scale for "firearms friendly" and "good hunting" point of view, how would you rate Alaska, which is even more "firearms friendly" and "better hunting" than Wyoming or Idaho?
Hey, Alaska is in a class by itself, it gets a 12 on the 10 scale easy.

Although. I'm not sure how much "more" hunting I could do in Alaska vs northern Idaho, or parts of Montana - I mean, once you are pretty much meeting your needs for meat by hunting and fishing, that's nirvana, it just does not get any better.

That and Alaska is a really big place, you almost need to break it up into 5 to 10 parts to be able to talk about the outdoor activities available - I'm not sure the North Slope is all that great, unless you are really hardcore, I mean, REALLY hardcore...

Old 09-20-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Hey, Alaska is in a class by itself, it gets a 12 on the 10 scale easy.

Although. I'm not sure how much "more" hunting I could do in Alaska vs northern Idaho, or parts of Montana - I mean, once you are pretty much meeting your needs for meat by hunting and fishing, that's nirvana, it just does not get any better.

That and Alaska is a really big place, you almost need to break it up into 5 to 10 parts to be able to talk about the outdoor activities available - I'm not sure the North Slope is all that great, unless you are really hardcore, I mean, REALLY hardcore...
The game in Alaska is bigger and more abundant. As far as fishing is concerned, it is hard to beat Alaska's world-record size salmon, halibut, and crab. Which means you spend less time hunting and fishing and reap greater rewards.

Alaska is indeed big, and we like it that way. Where I live it is a 7 hour drive to Fairbanks, 7 hours to Valdez, and about a 5 hour drive to Homer. The North Slope is about a 16 to 18 hour drive, but it is a great place for hunting Caribou in August because nothing grows taller than 3" there. Which makes the Caribou very easy to spot and shoot. The North Slope is not as bad as you make it out. Interior Alaska is far colder with a lot more snow than the North Slope.

While you can hunt black bear in both Wyoming and Idaho, you cannot hunt grizzly. In Alaska grizzlies and brown bears are not endangered (they out number the people living in Alaska) and can be hunted. The same is also true for wolves. There are also not many Musk Ox in Idaho or Wyoming, although all three States allow buffalo hunting. Wyoming does have a lot of Elk and Antelope, which Alaska lacks, but Alaska has Reindeer, which Wyoming and Idaho lack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting