Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 02:46 AM

662 posts, read 1,228,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
South Dakota is another very firearm friendly state.

Missouri CCW permits are accepted by the most states, IIRC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noihoforus View Post
We are both avid shooters and hunters. We are trying to figure out where to relocate to. A large part of the criteria is that the State of choice is very...very gun owner friendly, and that locations to shoot are plentiful. What do you all suggest? (retired...so jobs are not an issue) All your wisdom is welcome....thanks in advance for your suggestions
Much of the country except the coasts that does not border the Great Lakes (the "North Coast") is very firearms-friendly with no asinine waiting periods or other nanny-state malarkey. I currently live in SD and it is a very friendly state to purchase and carry firearms with no waiting periods, open carry without a permit, and easy-to-obtain CCW permits. However if you want to shoot something other than a shotgun it is less than stellar. There is public land that you can shoot at, but it it is simply fields than Game, Fish, and Parks bought. The flatness of the land pretty effectively limits it to shotguns only. I wouldn't shoot a rifle on any of the GFP shooting areas in East River because there is no backstop. There are no public rifle ranges in SD. Apparently idiotic vandals got them removed Missouri has Conservation Department-provided rifle ranges studding the state and the land is much hillier than SD. There is no waiting period that I am aware of and CCW permits are easy to get. I have also lived in Wisconsin and it's okay but no better than MO or SD in terms of firearms ownership/shooting but a much more expensive place to live overall.

Overall I would have to say I'd pick Missouri out of the places I have lived. Firearm laws are reasonable and there are plenty of places to shoot and hunt. There is an income tax in MO but if you are retired it should affect you minimally or not at all. SD doesn't have one which is nice for me since I work but MO's is very average as far as income taxes go and is nothing like a North Coast state like MN, WI, or IL or any of the Northeast or West Coast states. You can also go outside all year in MO, not so in SD or WI. MO has hot summers but you can still go outside except for 1100-1700 during the summer. SD and WI have a lot of snow and SD especially has a lot of wind. Shooting clay pigeons in a 30 mph wind in January in 18" of snow and -15 F temps in WI or SD is not all that fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 05:18 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Alaskan police take the gun and call the serial number to their dispatcher. They return the gun after only after verifying that both the gun and the gunowner aren't on a wrong list.
Not true.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:32 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,609,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Not true.
I saw the video here. It doesn't seem to be up at this time but I assure you that it was there and it was very scary.

Wyoming Gun Owners are the super good guys in this state; they accept no compromise. If you live in Wyoming and you love your freeedom please suppot them. They're the ones who got us courthouse carry and carry in other buildings owned by the county. It was a real pleasure to see the signs gone.

Alaska Carry legislation — Beware : WyomingGunOwners.org

Old 07-16-2012, 05:36 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I saw the video here. It doesn't seem to be up at this time but I assure you that it was there and it was very scary.

Wyoming Gun Owners are the super good guys in this state; they accept no compromise. If you live in Wyoming and you love your freeedom please suppot them. They're the ones who got us courthouse carry and carry in other buildings owned by the county. It was a real pleasure to see the signs gone.

Alaska Carry legislation — Beware : WyomingGunOwners.org
Law enforcement may ask you to secure your weapon for their safety, but without probable cause or a court issued warrant, they cannot take your firearm. They certainly cannot take down the serial number of your weapon. You should stick to discussing Wyoming and stop spreading blatant lies about Alaska.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:10 PM

242 posts, read 465,866 times
Alaska is probably the most gun-friendly state I have ever visited, might have something to do with there being more game animals than humans and a fair amount of those animals consider man as a food source.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:04 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,007,381 times
Arizona, New Mexico, Wyoming.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:40 AM

774 posts, read 2,602,953 times
Cross IL off your list.....

I'm considering WI or OH at the moment.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:48 PM

40 posts, read 57,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELL37 View Post
Cross IL off your list.....

I'm considering WI or OH at the moment.

I would pick Ohio. Wisconsin only recently legalized CC.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:58 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat123 View Post

very true, but at least wisconsin actually considered constitutional carry. also wisconsin still has open carry without any permit.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:04 AM

116 posts, read 546,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat123 View Post
The brady campaign gave Ohio an 8 and Wisconsin a 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting