Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2021, 06:30 PM

19,781 posts, read 22,680,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
Many of us do not have the time or space for a proper reloading set up.

Then, there is the expense of buying all of the equipment to do it right.

Again...not do-able for many of us.

Someday, maybe in retirement, I plan on making space and will have the time to do so.
Time is the commodity that cannot be addressed, however I’ll say this- I make time to reload so I can shoot more. The space I started reloading at would take up a small desktop. No more than where I type this message from.

And ‘properly’ reload is subjective. You can gather the basics for a few hundred. RCBS has a partner kit for $260. They also sell dies with primers now- $170 for rifle and $190 for pistol. You get a 1,000 primers with your die set. Spendy but it’s there.

Pick up some used brass for free, buy some bullets and powder and you could be reloading for less than $500 right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2021, 03:00 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,658,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Learned lessons from Sandy Hook & applied it during the Trump administration when the prices were low and the supply was plenty.
Too many people on the Right got complacent, when Trump was elected. And, for a short time, there was a price spike, as people on the Left got armed, in the months after Trump was elected. The complacency I saw in 2018 and 2019 was a really bad thing, in my opinion. It was like people thought we would never see another shortage again.

Old 08-25-2021, 03:44 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Only if you can get components.
Not many people on here know how to:
Cast Bullets,
Make powder,
Stamp brass into cartridges
Make priming compound
Well, casting bullets is not that tough. I could have anybody on here making good cast bullet handgun ammo in a single afternoon.

Making smokeless powder, making your own brass, and making modern priming compounds - these are well beyond my abilities. Phil Sharpe's old book describes how powder and primers were made just after WWII, and it's not simple or easy technology.

Good luck setting up to stamp brass (and I think Olin is the main source for cups to form from, they probably will want to sell you a tractor-trailer load or not at all...) for less than 6 figures. And you will need a fair sized garage type building to set up in.

These are like trying to make your own tires - just not practical.

Components are still very scarce around here, particularly primers. I did pick up a couple of boxes of .22 lr ammo, Remington "Thunderbolt" 500 rounds per box.

Old 09-03-2021, 03:31 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Just bought the forever gun. Left hand 6.5 PRC. Just about the recoil I figure I can take in ten to twenty years when I retire. Scope, dies, projectiles, scope mount, brass all on the way. The twist rate of the newer firearms is amazing. 4X16 Vortex should fit the bill. I feel lucky to find all of it in a week. Thank you wife for that last bonus

Old 09-04-2021, 12:43 AM

6.5 prc is very popular. What’s the details on your rig?

Old 09-04-2021, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
6.5 prc is very popular. What’s the details on your rig?
Less than 7 lbs with vortex scope. Accutrigger that's adjustable.

Still waiting on the brass and powder (RL 26) pushing a 130 TTSX at 3200 fps magnum primers. Should be a blazer with only 16 lbs recoil. I've got enough 300 win mag recoil type firearms already. This one will be perfect for local long range deer and hogs. The 6.8 Western was interesting till I saw the recoil which is basically a short action 7mm mag with 24 lbs recoil. Hard pass on another heavy recoil weapon.

https://www.omahaoutdoors.com/savage...de-bolt-rifle/

Old 09-04-2021, 11:16 PM

The shortage of components and ammo is beyond ridiculous now. It's been almost two years.

Old 09-13-2021, 11:09 PM

27,145 posts, read 15,327,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The shortage of components and ammo is beyond ridiculous now. It's been almost two years.
Can't all be chalked up to new (& Left leaning) buyers though August was another record buy month for firearms.
Many buy a box of ammo and maybe a box of self defense ammo. I doubt they are all at the Range eating more ammo up.
I believe the shortage goes deeper than that.

Old 09-14-2021, 06:05 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
until such time as ammo becomes available, I'll keep adding to my massive toilet paper stockpile in order to barter for more ammo later on

Old 09-14-2021, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Can't all be chalked up to new (& Left leaning) buyers though August was another record buy month for firearms.
Many buy a box of ammo and maybe a box of self defense ammo. I doubt they are all at the Range eating more ammo up.
I believe the shortage goes deeper than that.
I'm on several long distance hunting and hunting / reloading forums. There is a lot of component hoarding going on still. Since humans (especially gun owners- the 'seasoned ones') are as predictable as a morning bowel movement, ammo hoarding is still going strong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting