Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 06:20 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times

Advertisements

I was just getting some stuff together for that.. hehe.

Not much this weekend:

For those who actually enjoy his comedy, Ron White will be appearing at the Chrysler Hall (Norfolk) this Saturday.

Earth Day Event at the Virginia Living Museum (http://www.thevlm.org/programsevents/calendar/specialevents.php - broken link) - Sure Earth Day isn't until April 22, but they're having their event this weekend!

Wanna see a Crocodile? (http://www.npl.lib.va.us/events/lyle/lyle.html - broken link) He'll be appearing all over this week and weekend.

The Virginia Children's Museum (Portsmouth) will be about the puppets this Sunday! Make puppets, learn about puppets..

And another interesting event this weekend, A.C. Moore's will be opening their new store on Princess Anne Rd. There will be crafts for customers, face painting, great discounts, and more. Event will start at 10am.

As for me, I'll be at Busch Gardens on Saturday and haven't decided what to do on Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 06:45 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
You know what? I wanna do something in Jamestown, Yorktown, or Williamsburg. Kids are in agreement with that.

Love going to those places, but not when its too awful hot. Guess that means I need to go on and get it done soon!!

Old 04-23-2008, 09:39 AM

Yes, I'm running a little late on updating. I've been busy trying to get a mortgage and already looking at houses. Wish me luck!

We're starting to enter Tourist Season - so I'm going to try updating on Mondays because of the Weekly Events going on.

It's Historic Garden Week

In Virginia Beach, this Saturday is the 400th Anniversary of the Virginia Company landing on the shore of Cape Henry. First Landing State Park on Shore Drive will be celebrating this with a beautiful festival. The only cost is the $5 Parking fee.

Out in Chesapeake, they will be holding the "Use your Brain Day" for the kids on Saturday. This will be held at the Dismal Swamp Trail. Proceeds benefit the Brain Injury awareness project. Cool helmets will be for sale - also there will be group discussions for the kids in helmet safety, bike safety, and the rules of the road.

Got a dog (or cat)? Head to Williamsburg for the Bark in the Park Day (broken link) to benefit the Heritage Humane Society. There will be events for furry friends and furless friends - along with prizes available.

And for all the puzzle fans out there! F.A.C.T. (Families of Autistic Children in Tidewater) are going to attempt a world record for the Largest Jigsaw Puzzle (http://www.firstgiving.com/factpuzzle - broken link) - and raise money for a Regional Autism Resource Center. This will be held on Sunday at the Virginia Beach Convention Center.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:11 PM

My dd has Autism... She is on the high end of the spectrum, in having Aspergers Syndrome.

The kids will be with their dad this weekend...

Anything for separated single moms, Kuhari?

Old 04-24-2008, 07:48 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,451,995 times
How about Bingo Cinder! Forecast for rain on Sunday, so what a great way to spend the day! :-)

Old 04-24-2008, 04:41 PM

Bingo?!?!? I said I was a single mom, not an old lady!!! lol... kidding... anyone can play bingo, I know.... just not me.

LOL I used to play withj my mom when she would go when I was younger.

Shoot, playing bingo would actually be taking a walk on the wild side for me, these days!!!

Old 04-25-2008, 06:09 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,451,995 times
haha..Bingo is fun and I couldn't believe how many people our age and younger were playing. Shoot 1,000 dollar jackpots and 100 dollar game payouts...we have a ball when we go.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
haha..Bingo is fun and I couldn't believe how many people our age and younger were playing. Shoot 1,000 dollar jackpots and 100 dollar game payouts...we have a ball when we go.
How old are you?

Old 04-28-2008, 07:50 AM

16 posts, read 45,467 times
Default Upcoming Events for Va Beach 3-5 May 2008

Atlantic Coast Kite Festival
Friday, May 3 - Courthouse Galleries

Saturday, May 4 - Virginia Beach Oceanfront

Sunday, May 5 - Portsmouth City Park

Spectators, avid kite flyers, and novices of all ages are invited to the 4th Annual Atlantic Coast Kite Festival the weekend of May 2-4, 2008 at the Virginia Beach oceanfront and in Portsmouth, Virginia at the Courthouse Galleries and Portsmouth City Park!

On Friday night, the Courthouse Galleries will host the "Kite Night Open House" celebrating the exhibit "Kites: A Tradition for All Ages," to be shown from April 18-July 6. The exhibit presents kites representative of traditions in Japan as well as kites made by contemporary artists and kite makers from around the world!

On Saturday, the action shifts to the Virginia Beach Oceanfront at 17th Street a full day of activities that include:

•Workshops for ages 6-14 on kite building and kite flying led by Archie Stewart, of Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts. Stewart, utilizing hands-on, interactive teaching, combines both the academics and pleasures of kiting. He encourages students to "teambuild" as they work together to create their own kites. Archie Stewart is a member of the American Kitefliers Association (AKA) and, as a sport kite competitor, won the ’99-’00 Eastern League Championship in individual precision flight and pairs ballet. His workshops will be open to a limited number of students.

•Kite demonstrations and activities, including demonstrations in dual line ballet and precision, multi-line ballet and precision, multiple kite flying by one person, and stacked kite flying, will be held throughout the day.

•Kite vendors with an assortment of kites and equipment for sale.

•An open-fly area on the beach where participants of all ages may fly their kites.

On Sunday, Portsmouth City Park becomes the venue for the kite festival as kite fliers are invited to participate in workshops, view demonstrations, and learn techniques for flying kites of all shapes and sizes.

The Atlantic Coast Kite Festival is free and open to the public. There is a nominal charge for participating in the kite building workshop.

The Atlantic Coast Kite Festival is a sanctioned event of the American Kitefliers Association.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:22 PM

Wow. It's almost May already! Tourist Season is upon us and some great events are up and coming!

I'd love to attend the kite festival... but my next few weekends are going to be spent helping my mother rebuild her home. She had a fire on Saturday (everyone's ok!) and lost everything.

As for some other events:

This Friday, come out to Habana Cafe on Shore Drive in Norfolk. All you can Rock Band! Prizes will be given out.

The cover band Bad Dog is ready to take you through several decades of classic Rock at the Kimball Theatre in Williamsburg this Saturday. Admission will be $15

Join Bruce Rader of WAVY-TV 10 and Holly Williams of 93.7 BOB-FM for Seton Youth Shelters' 9th Annual Kentucky Derby Party on Saturday from 5 p.m. to 11 p.m. out at Back Bay Farms in Pungo.

And for Sunday, we have Storytime with Curious George at the Barnes and Nobles on Virginia Beach Blvd in Virginia Beach. Kids get to read with that little monkey and gets pictures too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area