Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 10:47 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,403,057 times

Advertisements

I'm disappointed in the show so far. The photography is great, but the writing is mediocre, and the acting is variable. The banter between McGarrett and Dano really annoys me, because people only talk that way in contrived "buddy cop" movies and TV shows, not in real life. There isn't much local cultural flavor so far, either. I get the feeling the producers said to a Hollywood writer, "Here, kid -- watch seasons 1 through 8 of 24, go to Oahu for two weeks and learn what's it's like over there, and give us '24 in Paradise,' except it doesn't have to be in real time, and the bad guys have to be caught at the end of every episode."

I hope it's a success, though, for the sake of the local economy. I also hope that the quality improves. I love the original series, but it had its share of poorly written and acted episodes. I've been watching it on DVD, and it's fun seeing the old '70s-style pacing, writing, attitudes, and music, even when they are sometimes outdated and silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 11:44 PM

57 posts, read 120,834 times
Where was the Zephyr Lounge filmed?

Old 10-24-2010, 07:19 AM

42 posts, read 101,677 times
I've seen several episodes of the new 5-0. I can tell you this series will never last. The writing is mediocre at best. I also think it was a big mistake to make Danny and Steve basically the same age and so buddy buddy. McGarrett should stay the boss like he was in the old show... more experience and maturity, and older. And Kono is a girl? Oh brother! The ONLY thing worth watching is the scenery.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:03 AM

219 posts, read 570,807 times
The writing and the acting may be so-so. You might not like the new approach to the characters. Personally, I enjoy them. Whereas I like and respect the old series, I also enjoy the fresh approach.
In contrast, you can look at Blue Bloods. In my opinion, writing and acting are top notch. Problem is, it's set in New York City. How depressing is that? I'll take O'Loughlin in Hawaii any day.
Maybe Selleck should leave New York and do some kind of detective series set on Oahu. Give him a hot car to drive and a couple of goofy friends. Could be a winner.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:32 AM

182 posts, read 708,018 times
pansygal,

I agree with you on those very same points...and more! I guess the tough-girl BS (the punching men out nonsense) appeals to those who pass for "men" nowadays (increasingly so in America), what they want to see. Maybe women, too, who want to act like men. Who knows. And yes, it's a very poor example of "leadership" but we have that everywhere nowadays, even in the military. Shouldn't be but is.

The "new" Hawaii 5-0 is a disgrace on several levels...no danger at all of it ever besting the original. Typical BS Hollywood "non-reality action show formula" stuff, just plug in HI as the filming location but everything else is the same as all the other lame (and Hollywood PC) action shows. No difference.

As another poster said, I hope the show continues so it helps local employment, but otherwise, it deserves cancellation.

Yes...bring an updated "Mangum PI" back, but only with Selleck as Magnum (forget his "buddies TC and Rick: TC was a troublemaker on the set and Rick wasn't much of a character anyway). And definitely, somehow fit Higgins into the new show!

And maybe the Anderson Estate (Robin's Nest) could be brought back to life...it's been run-down since Magnum stopped filming there. What a shame.

Last edited by cloudcroft; 10-25-2010 at 10:58 AM..

Old 10-25-2010, 10:49 AM

233 posts, read 685,664 times
I guess we'll let the ratings decide. 14 million viewers means the show will most likely get another season, which can't hurt Hawai'i (at least I hope it doesn't).

Old 10-25-2010, 11:55 AM

351 posts, read 587,116 times
IMO no television show today can be compared to any series which ran in the 1970s-1980s. Even music videos from that time period looks very "dated" compared to the ones produced today.

I see the present Hawaii Five O as just entertainment, and for the most part enjoy it. If I wanted to watch a more serious show, I'd watch the Discovery Channel or something else instead.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:41 PM

57 posts, read 120,834 times
I watched Blue Blood and the theme song for Magnum kept playing in my head. Tom Selleck will always be Tom Magnum. I wish they could remake that show but no one could take his place. It is sad how run down the estate is.
I know they want their privacy but it could have been a beautiful tourist attraction. What a view!

Old 10-25-2010, 05:14 PM

182 posts, read 708,018 times
Definitely. As others have suggested before, they could conduct paying tours there and make at least a few extra bucks...like lots of those cash-strapped English estates have to do to make ends meet. As it is now, visitors have to sneak around like low-life paparazzi to get pics of "Robin's Nest." At least condos in Jack Lord's Kahala digs are OUTRAGEOUSLY CHEAP now...but of course, their lease runs out in 2017, IIRC. Still, it'd be nice living for the next 7 years anyway!

There were maybe 2-3 other beachside homes used in the old Hawaii Five-O I never was able to locate -- maybe they were remodeled or razed, and something new built in their place...it's been a LONG time so that's likely the case!

And how about tours of assorted shooting locations of the old Hawaii Five-O and Magnum PI...whatever still exists? But you'd need an "old timer local" who can identify where the heck most of them were.

Last edited by cloudcroft; 10-25-2010 at 05:23 PM..

Old 10-28-2010, 08:48 PM

5,536 posts, read 7,110,339 times
I got a kick when the two helicopters were flying from Oahu to Molokai (I think) and they showed an aerial shot of the blue pool on Kauai's Na Pali coastline.

At least 150 miles northwest.

"WAAAAIT A MINNUTE!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: