Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 04:13 PM

136 posts, read 329,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
How about Kurt Suzuki and Colt Brennan? What sports are they popular in?

Interesting about Volleyball. Is that something that captures headlines in the newspapers as well?

What other sports seem to be followed more, and which ones (compared to the mainland) seem to be less followed?

How's interest in soccer? Either playing or media coverage in Hawaii?

Kurt Suzuki is a professional baseball player and Colt Brennan was the University of Hawaii football quarterback for a few years, including when they went undefeated in the regular season. I think one reason athletes from Hawaii get a lot of attention on the news is that there are no professional sports in Hawaii so there are no hometown teams to cover. Players from Hawaii in a way replace the news time that would go to covering the hometown teams.

Volleyball, especially UH women's volleyball, is one of the more popular sports in Hawaii.

It seems like sports like ice hockey and NASCAR are not very popular in Hawaii, while the typical football, basketball, and baseball are some of the more popular sports.

A lot of youth play soccer, but I'd say the interest in the college through World Cup level is roughly average compared to the rest of the country- well behind the most popular sports like football and basketball.

Last edited by Jonny08; 11-27-2013 at 04:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 04:25 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
And you'll find a lot more OC6 racing in Hawaii, than in the NASCAR states.

Aloha

Old 11-27-2013, 10:25 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,532,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fellowjoe View Post
After reading this post, I feel like I would move to Hawaii in a heartbeat. I can definitely relate to that laidback, informal and polite behaviour of Hawaiians.

As for the bolded parts, could these traits be attributed to the substantial Japanese-speaking population in Hawaii? These traits seem to resemble that of Japan's concept of harmony.
There is some truth to a lot of the traits the other poster described but in reality, Hawaii is becoming more and more like the mainland everyday. I personally don't see a big difference between Hawaii and similar sized cities on the mainland (ex. Seattle, San Francisco), except for racial differences. People in general act the same, with minor differences. And in my experience, ethnic Native Hawaiians are the rudest, loudest, most violent people here. They also make up a disproportionately large percentage of the prison population, which should tell you something. Hawaii will not make you happy if you're not already happy. I'd say that Hawaii's Japanese speaking population (conversational, excluding tourists) would be between 5-10%. Very few non-Japanese can speak it and most local Japanese-Americans under 60 years old can't speak it conversationally. But you're right in that Asian values are much stronger here than in other cities without a large Asian population.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:48 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Hawaii will not make you happy if you're not already happy.
No doubt.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:18 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I personally don't see a big difference between Hawaii and similar sized cities on the mainland (ex. Seattle, San Francisco), except for racial differences...

...But you're right in that Asian values are much stronger here than in other cities without a large Asian population.
Hawai'i, of course, is not a city, but I find this lack of differentiation between the city of Honolulu and the state of Hawai'i to be as common as it is misleading.

Of course the city of Honolulu has a dominant presence in people's thoughts and attitudes about Hawai'i, as it is the capital and the business center and has the largest population and is the #1 tourist destination, but in many significant ways I find it is the least "Hawaiian" part of Hawai'i.

That is to say that while there are distinct differences between the culture of Hawai'i the state, and the mainland, there are also distinct differences between the cultures of Hawai'i the state, and Honolulu the city. As a matter of fact, when I look at the second largest community in the state, the town of Hilo, I find very little in common with San Francisco, or even with Honolulu, for that matter. And the same is true of the third largest community, and the fourth, etc. Get outside the city and the rich and varied culture of Hawai'i is much easier to discern.

It is only within the singular development of the city of Honolulu that you see that comparison with San Francisco holding true.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:08 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,532,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Hawai'i, of course, is not a city, but I find this lack of differentiation between the city of Honolulu and the state of Hawai'i to be as common as it is misleading.

Of course the city of Honolulu has a dominant presence in people's thoughts and attitudes about Hawai'i, as it is the capital and the business center and has the largest population and is the #1 tourist destination, but in many significant ways I find it is the least "Hawaiian" part of Hawai'i.

That is to say that while there are distinct differences between the culture of Hawai'i the state, and the mainland, there are also distinct differences between the cultures of Hawai'i the state, and Honolulu the city. As a matter of fact, when I look at the second largest community in the state, the town of Hilo, I find very little in common with San Francisco, or even with Honolulu, for that matter. And the same is true of the third largest community, and the fourth, etc. Get outside the city and the rich and varied culture of Hawai'i is much easier to discern.

It is only within the singular development of the city of Honolulu that you see that comparison with San Francisco holding true.
Yes, you are right. I was mainly comparing Honolulu to similar sized cities on the mainland. I guess everyone has their own opinion of what's "Hawaiian" or not. If "Hawaiian" means a style of life more prevalent in the past, then I'd agree the rural parts of Hawaii are more "Hawaiian".

I agree there are distinct differences between different areas and cultures in the state of Hawaii. I mean Honolulu is more similar to San Francisco than it is to Hilo, IMO. I've never lived in the rural parts of Hawaii so when I think of Hawaii I naturally think of Oahu and specifically Honolulu. But I would say that the more rural areas of Hawaii, especially the neighbor islands, are a lot more different from the mainland than Honolulu is.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:24 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times
Just wondering can we agree that Hawai'i kinda has three major cultures types? Local(which is a blend of many different cultures) Hawai'ian(Which is Native Hawai'ian and Polynesian) and Mainland?

Correct me if im wrong?

Old 11-30-2013, 07:38 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Just wondering can we agree that Hawai'i kinda has three major cultures types? Local(which is a blend of many different cultures) Hawai'ian(Which is Native Hawai'ian and Polynesian) and Mainland?

Correct me if im wrong?
So what do you call a mainlander who has assimilated some of the local or Hawaiian culture? Or is it "once a mainlander always a mainlander"?

What do you call a mainlander who has Polynesian ancestry? If someone who has parents from Samoa moves from Chicago to Hawaii would they be a mainlander or Hawaiian or Local?

Why do we need to assign names anyway?

Old 11-30-2013, 08:03 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
So what do you call a mainlander who has assimilated some of the local or Hawaiian culture? Or is it "once a mainlander always a mainlander"?

What do you call a mainlander who has Polynesian ancestry? If someone who has parents from Samoa moves from Chicago to Hawaii would they be a mainlander or Hawaiian or Local?

Why do we need to assign names anyway?
Aloha, me personally a person who has embraced the cultures like you said, to me are Hawai'ian by Heart or Local by Heart. I believe you have mistaken me. Everything is about attitude, I know Native Americans who are more europeans then europeans lol. Just like I know some caucasian people who are more local then some locals. My theme ever since ive joined CDF is to fall in love with Hawai'i and its culture. The bad issues in Hawai'i in my opinion is brought about mostly by people who have no love for Hawai'i.

This thread is about cultural differences. I thought it would be wise to bring up theres several cultures

Old 11-30-2013, 09:03 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Well, HBH, you said "correct me if I'm wrong". I'm not meaning to be "correcting" you, but questioning your assigning of cultural types. You were the one who assigned the three types, then you say "everything is attitude". I have trouble following your thinking.

I agree that many cultures make up present day Hawaii, but I don't agree that lines can be as clearly drawn as you seem to think.

So if you are Hawaiian because you are "embracing the culture", then which of your three categories do you fit into?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii