Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 06:25 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times

Advertisements

But does that mean japan or her culture is Mainland or American? No. But the good thing about reality and truth is "there is no one reality or truth" So we both can be right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 06:41 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
^^^^ Im confused viper, you keep saying that, but ignoring the obvious. Hawai'is whole economic stability is based on tourism and tourism is the selling of aspects of the Hawai'ian culture?
Yes, you really are confused. If you think the driver of tourists is "Hawaiian Culture" then yes, confusion is very high.

Tourists mainly come to Hawaii for:

The weather. That one is a no brainer. And, an easy #1.

Beach and sun/outdoor activites - scuba diving, boating, fishing, hiking, whale watching, surfing, snorkeling, sunset cruise

The sightseeing - waterfalls, historical places (Pearl Harbor), Volcano

Shopping - (Oahu and targeted to international visitors)

Nightlife (Oahu)

Honeymoon destination

Golf

Kid friendly (hence, why visitor arrivals spike in summer and holiday periods)

Tourists might go to a luau (most don't) - but that isn't the main driver of tourism to Hawaii

Old 12-02-2013, 07:06 PM

^^^ No thats no what I said, whatever tourist motivation for visiting Hawai'i is there own motivation and is not my debate. But part of the tourism trade that funds the economic well being of the state of Hawai'i is based on selling certain aspects and images of the Hawai'ian culture and the tropical island experience. Thats all Im saying.

Hope you had a good trip?

I may visit San Francisco to visit the golden gate bridge or eat ono grindz I could also care less for the customs or culture of the people of San Francisco but I can't deny its not there or marketed.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:25 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Yes, you really are confused. If you think the driver of tourists is "Hawaiian Culture" then yes, confusion is very high.
I guess the Marketing Department at Hawaiian Airlines is confused then, because references to Hawaiian culture are all over their stuff. I mean, just look at the logo... a native wahine with a hibiscus in her hair. And their page on Hilo features a photo of a lovely "Hawiian Hula Dancer," and refers to the attractions of a place that is pretty much the opposite of Honolulu... slow, traditional, authentic...

They must not have gotten your memo.

Quote:
Tourists mainly come to Hawaii for:

The weather. That one is a no brainer. And, an easy #1.
Yeah, but not in the way most people think of it. If people were coming for the weather, they'd come during the best weather in the islands, during spring and fall. Obviously many tourists are more motivated by the weather at home than by the weather in the islands. The big driver for the winter tourist season is people wanting to escape from cold and snow, and whatever the islands have to offer just has to be better than that, right?

And in summer, a lot come in spite of the hot and humid weather and crowded conditions, simply because it's when the kids are out of school and the big travel deals are offered. If you want the most primo weather for a summer vacation, I suggest Canada, or the Northern US states.

Quote:
Beach and sun/outdoor activites - scuba diving, boating, fishing, hiking, whale watching, surfing, snorkeling, sunset cruise
All are readily available elsewhere, so what makes Hawaii'i different from all the others? Wait for it... wait...

Quote:
The sightseeing - waterfalls, historical places (Pearl Harbor), Volcano
Ding, ding, ding! One of the biggest things to distinguish Hawai'i from other vacation destinations that also have good beaches and nice weather, et al, is the unique sightseeing... the culture... the history... including coffee and macadamia farms, and cocoa and vanilla, and orchids... including historic sites of native Hawaiian history, like the City of Refuge, and the spot where Captain Cook was killed for not being the immortal God the native Hawaiians had believed he was. Fresh fish and local tropical produce, prepared Hawaiian style.

Quote:
Shopping - (Oahu and targeted to international visitors)

Nightlife (Oahu)
Both, I would point out, are actually better in other places, like Las Vegas. Maybe that's why Las Vegas is such a popular vacation destination for Hawaiians?

In any case, shopping and nightlife are not only not an attraction to some visitors, they're actually to be avoided. Different strokes for different folks, eh?

Quote:
Honeymoon destination
And that business is almost ENTIRELY driven by classic romantic images from Hawaiian culture... flower leis, sarongs and bare feet on the white sandy beach, plumeria in your hair, Hawaiian music playing as the breezes dance, luscious dining on Hawiian specialties, orchids, ocean sunsets over ocean waves...

Quote:
Golf
Some play golf, yes. More don't.

Quote:
Kid friendly (hence, why visitor arrivals spike in summer and holiday periods)
Just as they do everywhere else that is a popular vacation destination. Hawai'i isn't really special in that regard.

Quote:
Tourists might go to a luau (most don't) - but that isn't the main driver of tourism to Hawaii
Nor is Luau the main fixture of Hawaiian culture. But what you have not yet grasped is that if you take away all the Hawaiian cultural references that make Hawai'i a unique destination you are left with just a generic vacation place that is not necessarily very competitive on a global market.

It is all the extra layers added by Hawaiian history and culture that make Hawai'i distinct from other tropical destinations, and that are linchpins of marketing the tourist fantasy that is *HAWAI'I*

Old 12-03-2013, 06:23 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I guess the Marketing Department at Hawaiian Airlines is confused then, because references to Hawaiian culture are all over their stuff. I mean, just look at the logo... a native wahine with a hibiscus in her hair. And their page on Hilo features a photo of a lovely "Hawiian Hula Dancer," and refers to the attractions of a place that is pretty much the opposite of Honolulu... slow, traditional, authentic...
I already knew this - but now everyone knows you don't know anything about marketing.

Quote:
Yeah, but not in the way most people think of it. If people were coming for the weather, they'd come during the best weather in the islands, during spring and fall.
Uh, no. There is a reason the most visitors come in summer, spring break, and holidays. The kids are out of school. With so many visitors having children, it isn't possible to come to Hawaii any other time of the year. And for a lot of people, best weather includes no rain, which means summer. Most tourists aren't particulary thrilled about the weather in Kauai the past couple of weeks.

Quote:
If you want the most primo weather for a summer vacation, I suggest Canada, or the Northern US states.
Hmmm, and those beaches are where again?

[quote=OpenD;32472902]One of the biggest things to distinguish Hawai'i from other vacation destinations that also have good beaches and nice weather, et al, is the unique sightseeing... the culture... the history... including coffee and macadamia farms, and cocoa and vanilla, and orchids... including historic sites of native Hawaiian history, like the City of Refuge, and the spot where Captain Cook was killed for not being the immortal God the native Hawaiians had believed he was. Fresh fish and local tropical produce, prepared Hawaiian style.[\quote]

Huh??? How many tourists do you think actually go to those places. Hint: Not very many compared to the total number of tourists. I doubt they get 100,000 people in a good year and that seems really high. By your reasoning the BI would be bursting with tourists: Breaking news: It isn't. There aren't even that many hotels on the BI, and they have a hard time keeping them 50% full - why is that I wonder.

Occupancy, rates decline at Hawaii hotels - Pacific Business News

Quote:
In any case, shopping and nightlife are not only not an attraction to some visitors, they're actually to be avoided. Different strokes for different folks, eh?
Yeah, you are right. Oh wait, Oahu has by far the most tourists. I guess none of them shop or partake in the nightlife.

Quote:
It is all the extra layers added by Hawaiian history and culture that make Hawai'i distinct from other tropical destinations, and that are linchpins of marketing the tourist fantasy that is *HAWAI'I*
Let me break down some numbers for you. Thru October, Hawaii has had about 6.7 million tourists in 2013. Of those, 3.2 million, almost half come to Oahu and only Oahu (about another million come to Oahu and visit another island). The majority will stay in Waikiki Beach and will not roam further than a mile of their hotel. Funny for all that culture they must not have gotten the memo.

Take away the warm weather, beaches, resorts/pools, and scenery - and then we don't have tourists. Hawaii Culture would be a moot discussion point. How many people would visit without those things. Hint: Not very many.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:27 PM

136 posts, read 329,874 times
@whtviper1 Earlier on this thread, UHgrad (a white guy who grew up in another state and moved to Hawaii for college) posted in his idiosyncrasies of living in Hawaii list "Self aggrandizing is generally looked down upon rather than celebrated."

I guess you never picked that one up. Having a different opinion that you can back up is fine, but your pretentious attitude and eagerness to insult anyone who doesn't 100% agree with you gets rather irritating. When I disagree with someone, I usually can have a civil discussion on the topic. With you, your "I'm the expert on everything" and "anyone who disagrees with me is automatically 100% wrong" attitude usually prevents that, and you often resort to using personal insults and logical fallacies to make arguments.

Anyway, getting back to UHgrad's post, I can confidently say that most people in Hawaii are not fond of your attitude. I guess that's an idiosyncrasy of living in Hawaii.

Last edited by Jonny08; 12-03-2013 at 07:37 PM..

Old 12-03-2013, 07:45 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,514,798 times
Very true, Jonny!

Old 12-04-2013, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny08 View Post
@whtviper1 Earlier on this thread, UHgrad (a white guy who grew up in another state and moved to Hawaii for college) posted in his idiosyncrasies of living in Hawaii list "Self aggrandizing is generally looked down upon rather than celebrated."

I guess you never picked that one up. Having a different opinion that you can back up is fine, but your pretentious attitude and eagerness to insult anyone who doesn't 100% agree with you gets rather irritating. When I disagree with someone, I usually can have a civil discussion on the topic. With you, your "I'm the expert on everything" and "anyone who disagrees with me is automatically 100% wrong" attitude usually prevents that, and you often resort to using personal insults and logical fallacies to make arguments.

Anyway, getting back to UHgrad's post, I can confidently say that most people in Hawaii are not fond of your attitude. I guess that's an idiosyncrasy of living in Hawaii.
Not just people currently living in Hawai'i. But to be humble, I have a tendacy to talk to much which can be bad too. I guess I have picked up some bad habits living on the mainland for so long myself.

Thats why I have always thougjht and believed one of the most successful things you could do when living in Hawai'i is to learn to think backwards from mainland. Because what is acceptable and look upon as good isnt in Hawai'i such as the above, bragging or in my case talking to much lol. I promise to work on that.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:18 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,620,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Not just people currently living in Hawai'i. But to be humble, I have a tendacy to talk to much which can be bad too. I guess I have picked up some bad habits living on the mainland for so long myself.

Thats why I have always thougjht and believed one of the most successful things you could do when living in Hawai'i is to learn to think backwards from mainland. Because what is acceptable and look upon as good isnt in Hawai'i such as the above, bragging or in my case talking to much lol. I promise to work on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhgrad
Not so fond memories:
- General underlying culture of dislike for caucasian "mainland" transplants. Terms like "mainland style" or "haolefied" are generally used in a negative context. Outside ("mainland") opinions are often met with hostility. Maybe understandable given the history there, but still hard to deal with if you are trying to make the place your home.
Speaking of my old posts... this is kind of what I was talking about. Negative attitudes are associated with the "mainland" rather than just being negative attitudes. We do the same thing in the south... every time someone with a New York or New Jersey license plate is driving like a jackass or someone with a New England accent is being rude at a restaurant then it is those damn Yankees coming down here and bringing their aggressive style, sarcasm, impatience etc... with them and messing up our nice relaxed southern utopia. haha.

The fact is that MOST people don't like bragging, aggression, impatience, or rudeness... it is not unique to Hawaii but it is especially strong in Hawaii. I'm not mad at ya hawaiian by heart, I know what you mean, it just illustrated my point about how locals tend to perceive and classify things associated with the "mainland" as negative and different.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:06 AM

^^^ Its ok bruddah, I knew ya meant no stink or anything. I just thought if I was going to point out a bad thing about viper then I should be able to look at wat I could be working on wit myself.

Also I agree with what you are saying. The dislike for negativity is stronger in Hawai'i because of the dominant asian and native polynesian culture.

Me personally I remember when I moved to the mainland, people would get upset with me at times saying I don't talk enough or i needed to speak up because they couldnt hear me. Which is also for the most part another traditional cultural difference based on being humble and the focus on community vs individual in Hawai'i. Do you agree UHgrad?

And my apologies for hijacking your thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii