Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 07:17 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,620,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
^^^ Its ok bruddah, I knew ya meant no stink or anything. I just thought if I was going to point out a bad thing about viper then I should be able to look at wat I could be working on wit myself.

Also I agree with what you are saying. The dislike for negativity is stronger in Hawai'i because of the dominant asian and native polynesian culture.

Me personally I remember when I moved to the mainland, people would get upset with me at times saying I don't talk enough or i needed to speak up because they couldnt hear me. Which is also for the most part another traditional cultural difference based on being humble and the focus on community vs individual in Hawai'i. Do you agree UHgrad?

And my apologies for hijacking your thread.
My only real point is that threads like these can be useful to talk about what makes a place unique in terms of its culture, language, demographics, and idiosyncrasies but at the same time we need to be careful not to stereotype others in an overly negative way in order to make ourselves feel good about our culture.

What bothers me, and it was very common when I lived in Honolulu, was that you associated the bad habits you picked up with living on the mainland rather than the city you are in, your workplace, your personal attitudes, or your social circles... as if there is some virus locals contract when they get off the plane anywhere outside of Hawaii. And I think it makes people defensive and sets up an us vs them kind of mentality for these discussions.

Thats why I tried to move this thread towards talking about what is unique about Hawaii rather than Hawaii vs Mainland. It just isn't constructive to compare 300 million people to 1 million people. I talked about that in depth on the first few pages of this thread which I originally hijacked from Tiger Beer over 2 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 11:27 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
As for King K schools? Entery requirements idk, It may have to do with goverment guidelines for their funding? But it is funny that most native kids who apply to attend King K or other imursion school do so to learn in more dep the Native Hawai'ian culture or they just have a love for it?
I meant to answer this earlier...

Kamehameha Schools are a private college-prep school system, with pre-school through Grade 12 campuses on Oahu, Maui, and Hawai'i islands serving about 6,000 students, founded and endowed by the legacy of Princess Bernice Pauahi Bishop in 1883-87. The Princess was the last direct descendant and heiress of Kamehameha, and she left her great wealth to a foundation which is still the largest single landowner in Hawai'i, to be used in several ways for the preservation and enhancement of Hawaiian Culture and the Hawaiian language, which she could see was already in a state of decline due to the influx of foreigners.

The Kamehameha Schools began with Princess Bishop's instructions to her trustees "to devote a portion of each year's income to the support and education of orphans, and others in indigent circumstances, giving the preference to Hawaiians of pure or part aboriginal blood." It is this last consideration which has guided the gradual evolution of the schools from orphanage to boy's school to adding a girl's school, to becoming co-educational, to expanding to neighbor islands; and has guided the design of the curriculum, which includes classes in Hawaiian language, Hawaiian music, and Hawaiian history; but which has engendered controversy and legal actions.

The central issue is that in a state where the quality of public schools are so poor that Hawai'i routinely ranks near the bottom of all states, and where private schools are both selective and expensive ($15K/yr and up), the Kamehameha school system offers private school education for which 85% of the students receive financial aid, while 65% receive full scholarships, but where you need, as a practical matter, to have native Hawaiian blood heritage to attend. Only two "non-native" students have attended Kamehameha schools since 1965, one apparently as the result of an out-of-court settlement of a lawsuit. One of the loudest arguments against the admissions policy is that it discriminates against families that were already legally resident in Princess B's day, but which have no maoli kanaka blood quantum.

The K Schools also have had legal difficulties because Princess B's original instructions also included the provision that all teachers must be Christian Protestants, but it is the racial preference for student admissions that is most widely criticized.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:39 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
The K Schools
Thought the 'K' schools were kindergarten?

Old 12-05-2013, 01:57 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times
@OpenD,

I brought up the Kamehameha Schools as an example of its students attending it to learn the Native Hawai'ian culture more in depth.

The Kamehameha school system offers private school education for which 85% of the students receive financial aid, while 65% receive full scholarships. Wow that says alot. That 85% of Native Hawai'ian children going to Kamehameha Schools could not afford a private school education period if it wasn't for the school. But not surprising since Native Hawai'ians are the poorest ethnic group on the islands(equility issue).

I am not shocked that its racial preference for student admissions is most widely criticized by non native Hawai'ians and lawsuits happens. But what baffles me is this ideal of total equality. While people are suing the schools for not being totally equal, they are ignoring the fact that the schools where created because of inequality. So the ideal of total equality is only envoked when it applies to a personal agenda being threatened. Bummer.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:07 PM

@UHgrad

Bummer, it wasn't my intention to do an us against them thing. Im just used to referring anything within the main Unitted States land mass as the Mainland especially when talking to others from Hawai'i. Man i sure hope your not right about your perceptions of me?

Old 12-05-2013, 02:28 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Quote:
@OpenD,

But not surprising since Native Hawai'ians are the poorest ethnic group on the islands(equility issue).

(
Are you sure about that? We have a very large population of Marshallese living in Ocean View (on the Big Island), and I am pretty sure that they are the poorest ethnic group. I couldn't find recent census data, but in 2003 the median household annual income for Marshallese in Hawaii was $4,500. And not being Native Hawaiian, they do not qualify for benefits from DHHL or scholarships to a Kamehameha school.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:08 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
From an overall state perspective - Samoan's by far have the smallest median income with statistical significance. Of larger populations, Native Hawaiians are next, followed by Filipino - who are all under the median.

If we add the smaller populations within Hawaii (where the added groups from a statistical perspective makes it less reliable - from worst to higher, it would be Samoan, African American, Korean, Native Hawaiian, and Filipino - all under the median. (page 2 of article)

#1 is Japanese.

Which Ethnic Group Makes the Most Money? - Hawaii Business - October 2013 - Hawaii

Old 12-05-2013, 03:34 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,620,247 times
Quote:
@UHgrad

Bummer, it wasn't my intention to do an us against them thing. Im just used to referring anything within the main Unitted States land mass as the Mainland especially when talking to others from Hawai'i. Man i sure hope your not right about your perceptions of me?
I don't think badly of you, like I said I think it is just common (in my experience) for someone from Hawaii to frame things that way. Its all good.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:58 PM

@Dreaming of Hawaii, Whtviper1

Oh bruddah Auwe lol, you guys focus on the ugliness of one tree but overlook the view of the whole forest. One small line you focus on but ignore the whole argument of the post.
Ok fine 2nd or 3rd lowest incomes. That still doesn't change the point or argument of the post.

Its funny I was surfing youtube yesterday looking for some interesting new stuff on Hawai'i. When I ran into all these posts and stink about Obama not having a birth certificate from Hawai'i. I thought wtf, There are people dying in Iraq and our economy is down the drain, high homelesness, other issues. Shouldnt they be focused on working together to solve these important issues? Or is it easier to find faults so not to focus on working together? Our political parties are in this deathlock fear struggle of if we give an inch then we lose, like go figure there isn't enough for everyone.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:25 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
HBH, I just found it interesting that you were making a point about all of the inequities against the Native Hawaiians, and one of your facts to support your point was that the Native Hawaiians are the poorest ethnic group in Hawaii. I was merely pointing out that there are other ethnic groups here who are even worse off, and not just in household income.

Interesting how this thread has morphed from "cultural differences in Hawaii" to "let's all work together to solve the world's woes".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii