Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 10:26 PM

293 posts, read 909,623 times

Advertisements

I've heard that one cultural difference is that it's pretty easy to get a birth certificate in Hawaii even if you weren't born there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 01:22 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Well, HBH, you said "correct me if I'm wrong". I'm not meaning to be "correcting" you, but questioning your assigning of cultural types. You were the one who assigned the three types, then you say "everything is attitude". I have trouble following your thinking.

I agree that many cultures make up present day Hawaii, but I don't agree that lines can be as clearly drawn as you seem to think.

So if you are Hawaiian because you are "embracing the culture", then which of your three categories do you fit into?
Hmm good question. Lets see if I can approach it in a different way so you can understand my thinking. First im Native American, in not full blooded. But what is it that makes me a Native American? Is it the amount of blood I have? So if I have 50% blood, does that make me enough Native American to be Native American? So what part of me is Native American? My lower half of my body or my upper body? Maybe its my toes thats not native lol? The truth is the only ones who really care about blood amount are the B.I.A and those who live in fear. Can a person have 100% Native American Blood and not be Native American? Yes, lol confused yet? Yes their are fullblooded Native Americans that know nothing of there people and live europian and act and think europian.They dont know nothing of there culture nor care too, they dont know there ancestors or dances or of great spirit, spirituality.

Its the samething with Hawai'i. Being local is an attitude and lifestyle. Being Native Hawai'ian is understanding their own culture and embracing it. living it.Both true locals and Hawai'ians appear to have things in common. Like the love of aina, ohana and pride of comunitty and relationships.

Im Hawai'ian by Heart because im not Native Hawai'ian but both Native Americans and our cousins the Hawai'ians share almost exact spiritual beliefs. Our cultures and traditional values are the same. Both our peoples have shared common hardships. Further I was born in Hawai'i and embrace both local and Hawai'ian cultures and languages. Please forgive me much as a local will ask you which school you went to? As a way of relating. I also explain myself to relate to you. Not to be better then or worse than. Hope this helps?

Old 12-01-2013, 01:20 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Hmm good question. Lets see if I can approach it in a different way so you can understand my thinking. First im Native American, in not full blooded. But what is it that makes me a Native American? Is it the amount of blood I have? So if I have 50% blood, does that make me enough Native American to be Native American? So what part of me is Native American? My lower half of my body or my upper body? Maybe its my toes thats not native lol? The truth is the only ones who really care about blood amount are the B.I.A and those who live in fear. Can a person have 100% Native American Blood and not be Native American? Yes, lol confused yet? Yes their are fullblooded Native Americans that know nothing of there people and live europian and act and think europian.They dont know nothing of there culture nor care too, they dont know there ancestors or dances or of great spirit, spirituality.

Its the samething with Hawai'i. Being local is an attitude and lifestyle. Being Native Hawai'ian is understanding their own culture and embracing it. living it.Both true locals and Hawai'ians appear to have things in common. Like the love of aina, ohana and pride of comunitty and relationships.

Im Hawai'ian by Heart because im not Native Hawai'ian but both Native Americans and our cousins the Hawai'ians share almost exact spiritual beliefs. Our cultures and traditional values are the same. Both our peoples have shared common hardships. Further I was born in Hawai'i and embrace both local and Hawai'ian cultures and languages. Please forgive me much as a local will ask you which school you went to? As a way of relating. I also explain myself to relate to you. Not to be better then or worse than. Hope this helps?
So what you are saying in this post conflicts with what you said yesterday: "Just wondering can we agree that Hawai'i kinda has three major cultures types? Local(which is a blend of many different cultures) Hawai'ian(Which is Native Hawai'ian and Polynesian) and Mainland?" I just can't figure out which of these three you put yourself into, because you apparently are mainland with Hawaiian beliefs "in your heart".

I think you are mixing up ethnic background with beliefs or attitudes. What you appear to be saying is that even if someone is born on the mainland, they could be "Hawaiian" because they exhibit what you describe as a Hawaiian mind set.

There are many people who are second or third generation born and raised on the Big Island who do NOT have what you describe as Native Hawaiian traits, they do not have love of the aina nor do they have pride of their community and relationships. So are they not Native Hawaiians because they don't have what you call the Hawaiian attitude? How does this reasoning fit into your definition of the three major culture types?

BTW, the Department of Hawaiian Homelands and King Kamehameha Schools certainly would be interested in your definition of what makes someone Hawaiian and eligible for their benefits. I've never heard of "love of the culture" being a criteria to get accepted into their programs.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
So what you are saying in this post conflicts with what you said yesterday: "Just wondering can we agree that Hawai'i kinda has three major cultures types? Local(which is a blend of many different cultures) Hawai'ian(Which is Native Hawai'ian and Polynesian) and Mainland?" I just can't figure out which of these three you put yourself into, because you apparently are mainland with Hawaiian beliefs "in your heart".

I think you are mixing up ethnic background with beliefs or attitudes. What you appear to be saying is that even if someone is born on the mainland, they could be "Hawaiian" because they exhibit what you describe as a Hawaiian mind set.

There are many people who are second or third generation born and raised on the Big Island who do NOT have what you describe as Native Hawaiian traits, they do not have love of the aina nor do they have pride of their community and relationships. So are they not Native Hawaiians because they don't have what you call the Hawaiian attitude? How does this reasoning fit into your definition of the three major culture types?

BTW, the Department of Hawaiian Homelands and King Kamehameha Schools certainly would be interested in your definition of what makes someone Hawaiian and eligible for their benefits. I've never heard of "love of the culture" being a criteria to get accepted into their programs.
?

Lol, once again some good points. But before I answer let me say mahalo for discussing this with me and even if you disagree, your not being disagreeable.

Ok hmm im not sure how you see what I said as a conflict? The 3 examples of major culture in Hawai'i do exist, but each has their own beliefs ,attitudes and different ways of thinking. For example, I used mainland not as a physical piece of land but as a culture referance that has its own different set of beliefs, attitudes and way of thinking.

No what I believe im trying to say is I can never be Native Hawai'ian ethnicly because ethnicly I have no Hawai'ian blood in me. but spiritually, mentally I can be Native Hawai'ian by embracing their culture, language and issues. Further, the local culture is pretty much void of any ethnic lines to be a Kama'aina. So how is it that one person can be kama'aina if they live in Hawai'i most of their lives, while another person cant be kama'aina if he had 3 lifetimes to live in Hawai'i? Or another can be kana'aina by being born and going to highschool in Hawai'i? The answer is maybe da individuals ability to become a child of the land, embracing local customs, way of life and by doing that determines when the community calls him Kama'aina?

Further, the D.O.H.A like the B.I.A are only concerned about blood % because its mandatted by Congress to do so. But truthfully both native groups have fought the goverment on this standard in the past. Both native peoples have argued that a native person is a native person ethnicly even if they have 10% blood. But both government agencies deal with benifits and thats not where im comming from. As for King K schools? Entery requirements idk, It may have to do with goverment guidelines for their funding? But it is funny that most native kids who apply to attend King K or other imursion school do so to learn in more dep the Native Hawai'ian culture or they just have a love for it?

Old 12-01-2013, 11:40 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,136 times
I am 100% human from the planet Earth. My culture is vast and ever changing with each new experience.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:22 AM

431 posts, read 939,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
I am 100% human from the planet Earth. My culture is vast and ever changing with each new experience.
There ya go.
Enough already with the koko stuff. Incredibly small world, with incredibly wonderful experiences abounding.
Hoping, for the sake of my grandchildren, that this is embraced by the masses and sanity prevails.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:57 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Right on McFrosty and PaliPatty!!!!!

Old 12-02-2013, 02:38 PM

Ok np their is no cultural differences between Hawai'i and anywhere else? We are all equal under the eyes of god. One culture, one race. We are human from the planet earth. So lets ignore the ones who go to sleep tonight hungry or who have no home to goto? Their are no people today fighting for the right to be sovereign? There are no injustices to fight today? Because we are all one race and peoples.

One day I hope that we have total peace and harmony and we all become one race and that we all become truely equal, each persons culture is honored and welcomed. But intell that day comes we have to be content to fight one injustice at a time. But change isn't going to happen by itself, there is hardwork involved, such as bridging the gap of understanding between people, acknowledging that there are issues and the willingness to find a common solution etc. Good luck, if you have ears to hear?

Old 12-02-2013, 04:31 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Ok np their is no cultural differences between Hawai'i and anywhere else?
Hasn't this been beaten to death in another thread already?

Here is wikipedia's opinion on it:

"While traditional Hawaiian culture remains only as vestiges in modern Hawaiian society, there are reenactments of the ceremonies and traditions throughout the islands"

Hawaii - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vestiges = a mark, trace, or visible evidence of something that is no longer present or in existence: A few columns were the last vestiges of a Greek temple.

Vestiges | Define Vestiges at Dictionary.com

Old 12-02-2013, 06:21 PM

^^^^ Im confused viper, you keep saying that, but ignoring the obvious. Hawai'is whole economic stability is based on tourism and tourism is the selling of aspects of the Hawai'ian culture?

Further, wasn't it you who said #2 11-15-2011, 09:04 PM on this same thread that "Take off the shoes before entering a house in Hawaii?" When you keep saying Hawai'i is no different in day to day as the mainland.

Look like others, I do appreciate your logical black and white thinking approach to things. At times it works perfectly. Other times its can be ridged and cause denial. Also, I do hope you don't feel like im attacking you personally because thats not my intention? But I agree to disagree with you. As for the day by day being no different from mainland we could say that about japan or other countries. We all get up and get in our cars and put in our 9 to 5 in at work. We all shop for food, we all pay bills. we all use modern devices. Most all countries have incorporated english as one of their languages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii