Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 12:02 PM

482 posts, read 623,579 times

Advertisements

I bet you'll love Kauai and want to spend more time there if you ever make it back to the Islands. Hope you're having a great visit!
Aloha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 12:06 PM

189 posts, read 282,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemouse View Post
Thanks a lot!
I'm seeing to it
Not a problem - hope you find something in your price range (you will)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauailover View Post
I bet you'll love Kauai and want to spend more time there if you ever make it back to the Islands. Hope you're having a great visit!
Aloha
Amen to that - that run from the 15th-the 21st is going to make your head swim in an awesome way. Enjoy it!

Old 06-20-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyDave View Post
Not a problem - hope you find something in your price range (you will)!

Amen to that - that run from the 15th-the 21st is going to make your head swim in an awesome way. Enjoy it!
For sure on the head swimming..lol. One day on Maui & Kauai just not enough to really enjoy it but I'm sure she'll still have a blast!

Old 06-20-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
For sure on the head swimming..lol. One day on Maui & Kauai just not enough to really enjoy it but I'm sure she'll still have a blast!
It's true, but between the two days she's got between Maui and Kaua'i, at least the OP will be getting to see some things people who only visit Waikiki don't get a chance to see. Plus, 2 days on the BI is pretty good - It's seriously a huge island. There are vast stretches of land where I can't see any water around me, and see no other cars or houses, only land, nature and sky.

It's a jam-packed trip for sure, but I've done similar trips like that in my life. Gives you a good surface view of the places, though not enough time to delve into the people/culture, but I don't think she's coming to Hawai'i for the people/culture, which is A-OK. Everyone travels for different reasons, and I'm always down to help someone plan out a week on the islands!

Old 06-20-2013, 02:34 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyDave View Post
It's true, but between the two days she's got between Maui and Kaua'i, at least the OP will be getting to see some things people who only visit Waikiki don't get a chance to see. Plus, 2 days on the BI is pretty good -
Shootz, you guys sure do count days funny. I see 3 days/3 nights on the Big Island, 2 days/2 nights on Maui, 2 days/2 nights on Kauai, and total of 6 days/6 nights on Oahu. I agree she'll be left wanting more, everywhere, but I think she's done a good job of maxing out a two week vacation.

My overall best tip on rental cars is that agencies that are in-town, away from the airport, are nearly always cheaper than the ones at the airport, sometimes by a substantial amount, even within the same company, because they aren't paying the high fees and costs of an airport location. But, you do need to weigh that lower cost against the convenience and time saved with pickup and dropoff at the airport.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Shootz, you guys sure do count days funny. I see 3 days/3 nights on the Big Island, 2 days/2 nights on Maui, 2 days/2 nights on Kauai, and total of 6 days/6 nights on Oahu. I agree she'll be left wanting more, everywhere, but I think she's done a good job of maxing out a two week vacation.

My overall best tip on rental cars is that agencies that are in-town, away from the airport, are nearly always cheaper than the ones at the airport, sometimes by a substantial amount, even within the same company, because they aren't paying the high fees and costs of an airport location. But, you do need to weigh that lower cost against the convenience and time saved with pickup and dropoff at the airport.
Yeah you're right, but I usually don't count travel days. Just too much to do on days you fly, especially having to return rental car, ag inspection, security check etc. But regardless, coming all the way from Italy and seeing Hawaii's main Islands in one trip is great! I would bet it won't be her last trip to the Islands and who knows, she might be the next "DREAMER!"

Old 06-20-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Pfft it's like we counted in Hawai'i-time, only we did it backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauailover
I usually don't count travel days. Just too much to do on days you fly, especially having to return rental car, ag inspection, security check etc.
Agreed. Also, I don't think I wanted to count for transfer and sleeping time for the first nights of the transfers - travel days are a forgone conclusion for me as well. Poor thing will be so tired already

Here's hoping the OP actually gets back on the plane back home hehe

Old 06-21-2013, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Yeah you're right, but I usually don't count travel days. Just too much to do on days you fly, especially having to return rental car, ag inspection, security check etc.
Travel days? Interisland? Pfffttttt.

I really don't think it's that big a deal. Airport check in takes longer than the maybe 40 minute flight time which ensues. But still, it's not like a whole day is blown, or even half a day. At most it's a few hours, and besides, except when you are actually in the air you ARE on one of the islands.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:30 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,136 times
Quote:
...At most it's a few hours..
Seems like it has taken longer than that for us in the past. Even just going from Molokai to Lanai took up a big part of our day!
You will have to pack(they brought enough for a two week vacation) then check out of the hotel, drive to the airport, gassing up the car on the way, return the car, check in, go through security, wait for the plane, fly, pick up luggage, pick up rental car, drive to hotel, check in, unpack.

But then maybe we are just slowpokes.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Seems like it has taken longer than that for us in the past. Even just going from Molokai to Lanai took up a big part of our day!
You will have to pack(they brought enough for a two week vacation) then check out of the hotel, drive to the airport, gassing up the car on the way, return the car, check in, go through security, wait for the plane, fly, pick up luggage, pick up rental car, drive to hotel, check in, unpack.

But then maybe we are just slowpokes.
Maybe. Or maybe I'm just more practiced. For several years I traveled nearly constantly on business, 200 nights a year in 200 different hotels, and I developed skills for getting in and out of town quickly, even if Dog and Beth are not looking for me.

Allow me to share a few suggestions for your consideration...

Quote:
You will have to pack(they brought enough for a two week vacation)
First, travel light. I took a number of 3 week trips to the UK with only what I could wear or get in a flight crew style rollaboard and a shoulder bag, and that was for business. Sure, I had to use valet service a few times, and wash some things out with Woolite to dry overnight, but it was manageable. For a vacation in Hawai'i you can pack even lighter, so a rollaboard is even more doable. And the bonus is... no time wasted with luggage check and pickup at the airport!

Second, when it's time to travel, pack everything you possibly can the night before and lay out your travel clothes. If you are focused, what's left to pack in the morning should not require more than 5 minutes.

Quote:
then check out of the hotel,
Many (most?) hotels today have express check out, where you indicate that you are checking out in the morning, and they run your account and charge your bill to your credit card while you sleep, slipping a copy under your door. In the morning you leave your keys in the room and vamoose. Easy peasy, quick and breezy.

Quote:
drive to the airport,
Be sure you know the way so you don't kill time trying to figure it out en route.

Quote:
gassing up the car on the way,
If you don't have far to go in the morning, gassing up to a full topoff the night before is an option. Even driving 20 miles or so isn't going to budge the needle off of Full.

Quote:
return the car,
Like hotels, most car rental companies have some form of express check-in. It can be as simple as writing your mileage on your agreement and dropping it and the keys in a box. Or they can have attendants with portable scanners to check you in and print out your receipt. Use them.

Quote:
check in,
Use the online check in 24 hours before your flight, and print out your boarding pass at the hotel. And since you have no bag to check, you can proceed directly to Ag check and Security.

Quote:
go through security, wait for the plane, fly
Can't help you there. It is what it is. But NOW you can relax. And anyway, hey, you're in Hawai'i. Enjoy it.

Quote:
pick up luggage,
Nope, you carried it on, remember? That just saved you up to a half hour right there.

Quote:
pick up rental car, drive to hotel, check in,
Hey, you're in Hawai'i. Enjoy it!

Quote:
unpack
Only what you need for this leg of travel. What you don't unpack won't need to be repacked.

Anyhoosits, you may not like a single item on my list of suggestions, but they are efficient and save time, and you're welcome to use whatever you like.

Happy trails!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii