Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 04:25 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,943 times

Advertisements

Excellent tips! I will be sharing this with my wife.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 06:51 AM

189 posts, read 282,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Maybe. Or maybe I'm just more practiced. For several years I traveled nearly constantly on business, 200 nights a year in 200 different hotels, and I developed skills for getting in and out of town quickly
Yeah, but if you remember, we're not talking business traveling, Open - this is a girl on a whirlwind trip of Hawai'i so there's got to be some down time, which would probably be best done on the traveling days. Give the poor girl some rest hehe

I'm with you otherwise. Traveling inter-Alaska was a breeze for me, mostly because no security. I pack super light and have everything accessed easily. Slip-on shoes with no belt and I'm out of TSA with no issues but this post is about a different type of travel.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:12 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,141 times
Know it alls,Great job brahs(ok get free one every day) Mighty fine info You really helped her and thats true aloha spirit

Old 07-01-2013, 08:03 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,764,815 times
Hello Hello Hello
or... is better to do..ALOHA

how are you?
I'm here again because I need your suggest about rent car.
I have seen this website Hawaii Car Rentals - up to 75% off - Cheap & Discount Hawaii Rental Cars - Maui, Kauai, Honolulu and Big Island Locations that you linked to me . It's very great!
I think to have choised THRIFTY

I have only a question.
the car insurance is missing... here and in every other website rent company.
do you know why?

About THRIFTY I read that there are 3 insurances:
more information about when you pick up your vehicle.

1) RISK ELIMINATOR

Our Best Protection Value
Cover all the bases.
• Loss Damage Waiver (LDW)
• Supplemental Liability Insurance
• Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Protection
• Personal Protection Plan
• TRIPSAVER® 24-hour Roadside Assistance
• Zero financial responsibility for the vehicle
• Zero out-of-pocket expenses
• Up to $1 million dollars in liability and underinsured motorist coverage
• Cash payment for property loss and accidental injury or death
more information

2) RISK FREEDOM

Our Most Popular Protection
Because your own insurance or credit card may not be enough.
• Supplemental Liability Insurance
• Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Protection
• Up to $1 million in liability and underinsured motorist coverage

more information

3) RISK REDUCER

Our Basic Protection Package
Basic protection for a hassle-free trip.
• TRIPSAVER® 24-hour Roadside Assistance
more information

what do you recommend to me?
do you know the different prices?

thanks again for your help!
"ciao" from Italy!

Old 07-03-2013, 11:41 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
By a coincidence, somebody was just raving on one of the local boards about how much they like Thrifty on the Big island. And they suggested signing up for the Alerts on Thrifty Car Rentals & Rental Car Deals | Thrifty Car Rental because they just got an email offer for $79/week in September, while without a coupon the cheapest rate for that period is $37/day + taxes and fees.

With all fees and taxes added, but no insurance, that $37/day totals about $153 for 3 days.

Best I can tell you about insurance is this... many Americans have some coverage on their own car insurance policy that covers minor damage to a rental car. And others have similar coverage from their credit card company. So many renters decline any additional insurance coverage.

The #3 option you mentioned is the cheapest (call them for a quote) and it basically covers the cost of the car if you wreck it.

The #2 option is more expensive and it adds liability coverage if you injure someone else or damage property.

The #1 option is the most expensive and it increases coverage to $1 million for liability, and adds coverage for your own injuries, covers out of pocket expenses, etc.

In other words, it all depends on what, if any, insurance you have now that would apply, and how much financial risk you are willing to personally assume versus buying insurance to cover it.

In general, the insurance offered by car rental agencies is considered to be very expensive for what it provides, but only you can determine what level of risk is acceptable.

To begin with, I'd check with your credit card and insurance companies there at home to see if you have any existing coverage which would apply.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:57 PM

2,994 posts, read 3,764,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
By a coincidence, somebody was just raving on one of the local boards about how much they like Thrifty on the Big island. And they suggested signing up for the Alerts on Thrifty Car Rentals & Rental Car Deals | Thrifty Car Rental because they just got an email offer for $79/week in September, while without a coupon the cheapest rate for that period is $37/day + taxes and fees.

With all fees and taxes added, but no insurance, that $37/day totals about $153 for 3 days.
you are right!
I have wroten to customer service and...
this is the price:

Loss Damage Waiver (LDW): will be an additional $26.99 per day. If purchased, THRIFTY will waive a renter's responsibility for any loss or damage to the Thrifty rental vehicle unless, the renter has not complied with the Rental Agreement. LDW is not insurance.

TRIPSAVER coverage covers accident towing, lockout, flat tire, and fuel and battery services, and the cost is $5.99 per day extra.

Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI): will be an additional $13.99 per day extra. SLI provides the renter or any additional authorized driver with automobile liability coverage against third party claims for bodily injury, including death, and property damage resulting from an automobile accident in the THRIFTY vehicle in excess of the coverages provided under the Rental Agreement up to a maximum protection of $1,000,000 combined single limit per occurrence. SLI does not provide coverage for uninsured and underinsured motorist protection.

Uninsured Motorist Protection: UMP provides the renter; any authorized additional driver and anyone else occupying a THRIFTY vehicle with coverage for injuries and damages caused by an owner or driver of an uninsured or underinsured third party vehicle. This coverage is excess over any uninsured motorist insurance available to the renter and provides up to $1,000,000 combined single limit per occurrence. UMP does not apply in Mexico. Cost of UMP is $6.99 per day extra.

Personal Protection Plan (PPP) - PPP is optional coverage available at most of our rental locations and covers accidental death and accidental medical expenses for the renter who signs electing to be covered under the policy. Full details can be found at the rental counter. Check with your insurance agent regarding your policies on accidental death or medical expenses, or refer to your homeowner's policy regarding theft of your property. Cost of PPP is $6.99 per day extra.

I think it's very expensive!

Old 07-04-2013, 04:27 PM

189 posts, read 282,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemouse View Post
I think it's very expensive!
Welcome to America, my friend - your statement should basically be printed directly on our currency (I kid)

P.S - Many Americans who have solid private car insurance have rental coverage. But those without it would definitely agree with you as well, by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii