Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 01:38 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,751,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_traveler1 View Post
Is brudda waltah still in Portland? Does he still jam there?

Im not sure who your talking about brah? Im not familiar with the local music scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 01:23 PM

Default This would make me come back

Old 06-21-2013, 03:06 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,402,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_traveler1 View Post
Bruddah Walter is from Hawaii "Brah." And has since moved to Portland after retiring from the "hawaiian" music industry.
I'm not sure where Bruddah Walter is now. I heard he's gone back and forth between Portland and Hawaii more than once. I've seen him here a few times. He's shown up at some of the Hawaiian festivals, including a couple they have annually in Vancouver, WA, and he played at the short-lived but lamented Diamond Head Grill in Beaverton one evening when we were there for dinner a few years ago. But it's been at least three years since I've seen him, so I don't know if he's still here.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:58 PM

Looks like Bruddah Waltah has come out of retirement and has moved back to the Big Island:

Bruddah Waltah Aipolani - "Father of Hawaiian Reggae" - Honolulu Culture | Examiner.com

Old 06-23-2013, 10:59 AM

12 posts, read 33,827 times
I would love to move back to Hawai'i. I don't get to go home as often as I used to when I was in college, so every time I do go back, I don't want to leave. It would hard for me to move back. My fiance has an 8 year old daughter, so right there, it would be hard on her. Never mind the fact that moving to Hawai'i would be a big step for an 8 year old, but I would be worried about how she, and my fiance even, would be treated.

Growing up in Hawai'i, being part Hawaiian myself, I never had to face any of the prejudices some locals show toward haoles. I never even realized that haoles were picked on in school. I always thought "Kill Haole Day" was an exaggeration. I went to Kamehameha, so we never saw that, because we were all part Hawaiian. But, while here in Florida, I met a haole guy who went to high school in Hawai'i while his dad was stationed at Barber's Point, and he said he used to get beat up all the time.

Anyway, kind of went off the subject for a little bit. Besides the whole moving to Hawai'i being hard for the child, she goes to Michigan every summer to visit her dad. That in itself would be harder to do if we lived in Hawai'i. Also, I just got a new job, a good job, as a software engineer, and my fiance is still working her way through college.

I know, sound like I making a lot of excuses. I would love to move back to Hawai'i. I miss it a lot. Maybe one day, in the not so near future, we can make our way there. Until then, I will have to settle for talking story with my online 'ohana.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:21 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Shah View Post
I always thought "Kill Haole Day" was an exaggeration. I went to Kamehameha, so we never saw that, because we were all part Hawaiian. But, while here in Florida, I met a haole guy who went to high school in Hawai'i while his dad was stationed at Barber's Point, and he said he used to get beat up all the time.
People say all kinds of things for all kinds of reasons, but this one has pretty much been proven to be an urban myth, based on a lot of feedback to this newspaper columnist:

Quote:
"In terms of actual, first-person, eyewitness accounts of Kill Haole Day, no one had any [incidents] that happened in the last three decades. Not one teacher, not one police officer, not one victim or perpetrator." ~ Lee Cataluna, Honolulu Star Advertiser

"After 40 years with the DOE at Kalaheo High School, arguably the most 'haole school' in the state, I have yet to experience 'Kill Haole Day,'" wrote Karen Kanda. "After eight years as the vice principal in which I personally patrolled the campus on a daily basis and served as the primary disciplinarian, I can totally support your claim that this is a myth. Yet this myth persists like the bogeyman in the closet."

Responses refute existence of any recent 'Kill Haole Day' - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Old 06-23-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Shah View Post
I would love to move back to Hawai'i. I don't get to go home as often as I used to when I was in college, so every time I do go back, I don't want to leave. It would hard for me to move back. My fiance has an 8 year old daughter, so right there, it would be hard on her. Never mind the fact that moving to Hawai'i would be a big step for an 8 year old, but I would be worried about how she, and my fiance even, would be treated.

Growing up in Hawai'i, being part Hawaiian myself, I never had to face any of the prejudices some locals show toward haoles. I never even realized that haoles were picked on in school. I always thought "Kill Haole Day" was an exaggeration. I went to Kamehameha, so we never saw that, because we were all part Hawaiian. But, while here in Florida, I met a haole guy who went to high school in Hawai'i while his dad was stationed at Barber's Point, and he said he used to get beat up all the time.

Anyway, kind of went off the subject for a little bit. Besides the whole moving to Hawai'i being hard for the child, she goes to Michigan every summer to visit her dad. That in itself would be harder to do if we lived in Hawai'i. Also, I just got a new job, a good job, as a software engineer, and my fiance is still working her way through college.

I know, sound like I making a lot of excuses. I would love to move back to Hawai'i. I miss it a lot. Maybe one day, in the not so near future, we can make our way there. Until then, I will have to settle for talking story with my online 'ohana.

Aloha, i agree with Open D, further its my exp that everything in Hawai'i for success with the locals and natives all comes down to attitude(positive and aloha) and respect. Not saying there are no jerks etc, but jerks are everywhere. I may also suggest getting involved with your local area Hawai'ii culture events if you haven't already yet, and expose your fiance and keiki, and who knows they may love it( but you went to Kamehameha, so you will have no trouble exposing them to history culture)? Further it will also help with the transition if you guys ever do make the move? I also agree and respect that the welfare of your ohana and keiki always should come first. Who knows what will happen. E Aloha kuname

Old 06-24-2013, 01:58 PM

861 posts, read 1,455,453 times
Cheaper housing and cost of living, larger islands, and a really wide highway from Hawaii to California with gas along the way for only a dollar.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
In the speaking English per terms of service my opinion is the work brah is way way way getting overused (and I mean on this thread - I've never heard a person actually say brah in person). Since I've worked in Hawaii over 10 years - and lived here 5 or so - this is the only place I see brah all the time. Just saying - maybe that is part of how Hawaii is changing.
It might be an Outer Island thing. My wife, who is from the Big Island, doesn't say "brah" herself, but she says it when she's imitating her fellow Hawaiians: "Eh, brah -- where you stay?" ("Hey, mister -- where do you live?") or "You like beef, brah?" ("Do you want to fight, man?").

EDIT: Just thinking about your last sentence: my wife hasn't lived in Hawaii since 1998, so maybe it is something that's changed in the past decade.

Last edited by HonuMan; 06-24-2013 at 09:40 PM..

Old 06-24-2013, 10:00 PM

189 posts, read 282,801 times
Also you guys are also overlooking the fact that various forms of 'bro' are quite hip to use these days, especially in my generation - only figures that it would go in and out of fad as well, here on the islands. I've always used forms of 'bro' or 'brah' to share aloha with my kane, and I see no issue with it. Probably people who are older are seeing it used more and more because that's what happens with linguistic trends. Remember the whole 'like' issue back in the late 90s (when I was in high school).

it just so happens the mainland 'bro' coincides with the pretty typical HCE 'brah'. I'm coming from rural Idaho (Pocatello) where various forms of 'bro' or 'brah' are used by mainland dudes not even from Hawaiian. I'm guessing part of it is generational and part of it is trend, whtviper. You may be just on the older edge of the generation and not hearing it, but it's VERY common with guys my age (late 20s-early 30s), not even Hawaiian dudes!

At least that's my point of view
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii