Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2013, 03:06 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,008,465 times

Advertisements

If I made enough money to live comfortable like my parents did with me. Nice house on the east side (the best side). I miss Hawaii a lot. But, I got a pretty good career here in San Diego so I can't just quit and move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 03:09 PM

84 posts, read 83,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
So let us explore this - we wake up tomorrow and cost of living issues have vanished in Hawaii. Poof, gone. Since cost of living is a deterrent for many people who want to move to Hawaii - where do we put all those newly minted millions of residents? (it is residents of Hawaii by the way).

At the end of day - when one removes housing the cost of living in Hawaii isn't that much different than major mainland cities. Housing prices are not being driven by corporations - they are driven by prices of what people are willing to sell and purchase.
the deterent/motivation provided by high prices and/or low prices/wages (price for labor) self-moderates things. If a place has a high cost of living, that determs most people from coming to further exacerbate the situation. Prices go up, and wages go down until a balance point of sorts is reached.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
People say all kinds of things for all kinds of reasons, but this one has pretty much been proven to be an urban myth, based on a lot of feedback to this newspaper columnist:

I just started reading this thread and felt I should respond to this. You're article is ridiculous. What person in their right mind would admit to knowing about it?

It was in no way an exaggeration, at least back in the early 60's. My uncle told me himself that he and his friends participated in it at Kailua HS and Kailua Intermediate.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:32 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,757,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounds Complete View Post
the deterent/motivation provided by high prices and/or low prices/wages (price for labor) self-moderates things. If a place has a high cost of living, that determs most people from coming to further exacerbate the situation. Prices go up, and wages go down until a balance point of sorts is reached.
Or its collapses. This reminds me of a conversation i had with my now exs father, he was a person who loved watching politics shows and yelling at the t.v. So one day he complained about bush and corporate dominance and etc. So i told him one day, do you want an solution to what your yelling about all the time? He said sure? I once again said "are you sure you want a solution?" He looks at me funny and goes yes. So i told him If your tired of corporate dominance and etc etc, then quit buying stuff from irresponsible corporations, because as long as we have this system money is power, take the money away and give it to another who is responsible. Do you want to know

Old 08-23-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Or its collapses. This reminds me of a conversation i had with my now exs father, he was a person who loved watching politics shows and yelling at the t.v. So one day he complained about bush and corporate dominance and etc. So i told him one day, do you want an solution to what your yelling about all the time? He said sure? I once again said "are you sure you want a solution?" He looks at me funny and goes yes. So i told him If your tired of corporate dominance and etc etc, then quit buying stuff from irresponsible corporations, because as long as we have this system money is power, take the money away and give it to another who is responsible. Do you want to know
Please don't take this personally, but your posts characterized by ignorance, delusion and self-deception.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:56 PM

What he said? He was like wtf? you do that u take away the jobs! Really what was sad is, it had nothing to do with jobs it was his addiction to buying useless stuff that the issue.

Much like the crackdealer to the addict, is our country to stuff and money.

I love this saying "for every injustice and illness in society, look for the cause and solution and you will find its only there because somebody is profiting from it." But take that profit away and i bet it will disappear.

As for Hawai'i, becareful gentleman your sounding more like you want to start a new country for Hawai'i maybe a Aristocracy? Where only a priveleged class(well to do or rich) can live and enjoy paradise?

As for our economy as the saying goes "the titanic was unsinkabolbol.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:56 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Is there a particular corporation(s) you have specific issues with in Hawaii you believe is causing all this heartburn with cost of living? Any examples?

Old 08-23-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
What he said? He was like wtf? you do that u take away the jobs! Really what was sad is, it had nothing to do with jobs it was his addiction to buying useless stuff that the issue.

Much like the crackdealer to the addict, is our country to stuff and money.

I love this saying "for every injustice and illness in society, look for the cause and solution and you will find its only there because somebody is profiting from it." But take that profit away and i bet it will disappear.

As for Hawai'i, becareful gentleman your sounding more like you want to start a new country for Hawai'i maybe a Aristocracy? Where only a priveleged class(well to do or rich) can live and enjoy paradise?

As for our economy as the saying goes "the titanic was unsinkabolbol.
I will continue this "debate" when you start making sense. Aloha.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounds Complete View Post
Please don't take this personally, but your posts characterized by ignorance, delusion and self-deception.
How do you know it not the other way around? We supportted the same elite before the economy went south, and were still supporting the same elite when its bad and nothing has changed, maybe we need to quit doing the samethings over and over again and expecting different results!

Old 08-23-2013, 04:11 PM

Hawaii has a high cost of living because it's an island. There is only so much land to go around. However, it's no more expensive than other beach cities that offer similar weather and waves. Part of San Diego and OC cost about as much for a single family home.

The reason people struggle to live in Hawaii is the lack of industry and jobs. It's not too difficult to find a high paying job in California with an education and experience, the same isn't true for Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii