Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 12:55 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Good news. Perhaps it was different when you lived here over 20 years ago but the beaches are now public.
Ok go down to the north shore catch a wave with someone else or get in front of someone and say oh " but the beaches are now public" And see how fast they karanging your a'alas, please please do it and send me a videotape of it too and the guys name because i want to send him some money. That just one example.

Oh please im begging big man do it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 12:59 AM

163 posts, read 268,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
well then why would she say "I get along better with people who are from the mainland anyway?" That doesn't make since? besides this" I'm proud of being an African-American woman from Maryland No need to try and fake like I'm from here". Like i said you don't have fake pidgin, but you have to give up some attitude of "I" to make it. We live on an island, assimilating each others cultures, adapting. If you cant assimilate or adapt then you won't make it socially. That my point.

Further why would she get along better with people from the mainland over locals? People are people right? Maybe because in some ways socially hawaii is different then the mainland. So maybe a change of thinking is due. Am i wrong?
Because it's the truth. I also prefer adults over teenagers, Moiliili over Waikiki, purple over green, and French over Spanish. Having a preference for one thing doesn't mean I hate the other. I often feel I have to prove myself to local people to be taken seriously, so it's easier for me to deal with people who aren't from here. Most of the locals I chill with are people who met me in school, so they are around non-locals all the time. They judged me based on how I acted, and I respected that. But meeting someone local outside of school is hard because they are more likely to make assumptions about me.

I get a bit tired of the perception that if someone isn't 100% happy in Hawaii it's because they are maladjusted. Really, the dating thing is the only "problem" I've had since I've moved here. Everything else has been pretty good so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
What makes the fact that you get along better with one area over another a bad thing?

She is doing nothing wrong, has a strong network of friends.

The fact is, I've heard over and over, that African Americans have a hard time dating here. Which is what she is saying.

AA's are a huge minority here, it's no secret.

She sounds like a totally cool chick, who has taken time to get to know the area where she has moved.

What? Are you saying if she learned hula she would get a date?!
Thanks for that. Yes, I try to learn as best I can. Little things like going to free/cheap culture events, local news, and even reading Ka Wai Ola (I get funny looks on Da Bus for that lol) really help me stay informed. Plus asking questions. Locals love answering honest questions. It's dead useful.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:13 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Ok go down to the north shore catch a wave with someone else or get in front of someone and say oh " but the beaches are now public" And see how fast they karanging your a'alas, please please do it and send me a videotape of it too and the guys name because i want to send him some money.
You really haven't been here in a long time.

Besides, last I checked there is a big difference between catching a wave and being on the beach. Can't say I've ever had a beach issue or drama. Try again.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:16 AM

@Enyo

Your quote:They judged me based on how I acted,end quote: As it should be.

Your quote: Having a preference for one thing doesn't mean I hate the other: End quote:

Never said you did, i did question that you said you didn't get along with locals but you do with mainlanders but not in the context your saying.

your quote: I often feel I have to prove myself to local people to be taken seriously, so it's easier for me to deal with people who aren't from here. End quote: They are also probably waiting to judge you on you based on how you acted, and.

Anyway i came from the point when you said no local would say howzit to you and other things. You wantted help bridging that gap? Sorry i misunderstood then

Old 03-07-2014, 01:19 AM

Quote:
You really haven't been here in a long time.

Besides, last I checked there is a big difference between catching a wave and being on the beach. Can't say I've ever had a beach issue or drama. Try again.
Well go down to a locals beach and squat and when told to leave "say but the beaches are now public" see what happens

It must of burned you up when oregonwoodsmoke won the contest for her posts here in hawaii forum and shes never been to hawaii lmao!

Old 03-07-2014, 01:45 AM

Quote:

It must of burned you up when oregonwoodsmoke won the contest for her posts here in hawaii forum and shes never been to hawaii lmao!
You are thinking of a BI poster. I actually say what is on my mind rather than making it a popularity contest.

Have you ever been to Hawaii? I'm not sure anymore.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:52 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,136 times
Quote:
lolo come talk stink to me when you lived in hawaii longer then 5 years eh mainlander kolohe moke.
WOW! Whtviper1 didn't stay on your Ignore List very long!

LOL!!!!

Old 03-07-2014, 02:14 AM

Quote:
You are thinking of a BI poster. I actually say what is on my mind rather than making it a popularity contest.

Have you ever been to Hawaii? I'm not sure anymore.
BS who you kidding man, if you were just concerned with just speaking your mind, you wouldn't be chasing or trying to push people off of CDF Hawai'i. Only in your delusional mind and in the world of CDF Hawai'i have you created this delusional value system, were in hawaii it doesn't exist. Localism does and i got to tell you if it was a choice between a rich, egotistical mainlander who has lived on the islands for a few years(and a upper class area) and is only interested in his wealth. From a local boy who speaks both pidgin and hawaiian, knows to take his shoes off when entering a home, probably went to school with a sister or family member, who is active in the community, not just to get my garbage emptied 3x a week, or complain someone has parked right across the street. Someone who knows that hawaii

Old 03-07-2014, 02:26 AM

163 posts, read 268,732 times
Quote:
Anyway i came from the point when you said no local would say howzit to you and other things. You wantted help bridging that gap? Sorry i misunderstood then
If local men were interested in me, then they'd talk to me. I've had a few that took me out on dates, but it did not go well mostly because they had a superior attitude. I told them if they wanted a local, then go get a local. Don't pick up a mainlander and then look down on her from being from the mainland. I know it's not all local men who act like that, but that's been my personal experience every single time. So, I look for other mainlanders because it makes everything easier.

I'm not in the business of trying to make anyone like me. Everything you've suggested is basically me trying to prove myself, and it's demeaning.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:27 AM

Quote:
not just to get my garbage emptied 3x a week
Well, if you lived in Hawaii you'd know trash/garbage is picked up 1X per week not 3X per week. Green Waste is every other week as well as Recyclables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii