Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 08:40 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
@Mikala43*

And theres the problem right there, instead of whats best for everyone and do what is right for everyone, its the opposite. Im sure the people who lived on this island before you were worried about population growth, and prices rising thru the roof when you guys wantted to move over? Didnt stop you did it? In 40 years we saw the population grow from 769,913 to over 1,400,000. We watched houses go from $94,028 forty years ago to almost 800k today, rents also tripled, but wages pretty much stayed behind the times. watched lifestyles change and investors in Hawai'i get richer while native hawaiians, long term residents had to flee the islands or move to the BI because they can't afford to live on alot of hawaii anymore. But now your concerned about the population growth.

What special economics? Supply and demand? U make it sound like its some complex ideal when it really isn't. Its "i will charge you as much as possible intel you say noway". The average home doesnt have to go for 800k.
The long term locals BOUGHT their houses at 94K and now have houses worth 600K...... THATS how they survive on less income. You wanting to lower housing costs guts out your long term locals and leaves them with NOTHING.

The only people the housing market hurts are those who don't already own, and I believe we have a lot of homeowners. Plus, those homeowner's take out equity so the keiki can buy houses. Plus the DHHL has a lot of programs for native Hawaiians to build houses at really cheap prices. I know lots of blue collar workers who buy homes. They have programs where they group 10 couples and they all build each other's houses under contractor supervision, you can buy pre-built and you can buy land. What is it? $1 per year for the land?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-11-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
I mean no offense but you sir sound like a socialpath to me that this country was placed here for your personal profit and luxuries. I believe one of you three asked me how much profit is too much and who should say how much is enough, my response was " too much profit is when it starts hurting you or others" No one should have to tell you how much is too much, because it would be assumed that a balanced person would understand how there actions effect others and care. Enough said.
Our country was setup so hard work gave us a chance for personal profit. Since when did my hardwork resulting in a good profit for me become a bad thing? You have no idea how much I donate to charities, or what other good work I do. Holy cr@p, my husband I and worked our okole's off, what we end up with we earned.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Our country was setup so hard work gave us a chance for personal profit. Since when did my hardwork resulting in a good profit for me become a bad thing? You have no idea how much I donate to charities, or what other good work I do. Holy cr@p, my husband I and worked our okole's off, what we end up with we earned.
Hawaii is not so bad if you want to work hard, and work smart. Like I said before, I came here with nothing, virtually no education, no money, I had legally been (emancipated) an adult right after I turned 16. I had no one to depend on buy myself, never touched and federal or state assistance. I have no toleration for whiners. My husband has a similar background. So yeah I get testy when government and those who thing they deserve more want to to take it from our pockets.

You don't like Hawaii anymore? Just don't come.

But enacting the changes you want will hurt the poor and working class more than anyone else.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:33 AM

47 posts, read 52,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
HEY!! It's Whtviper1!
Does that come equipped with tires or scales?

Old 03-11-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
But its been a sobering reality on how much others have changed my home. Instead of my first encounter with a longtime CDF Hawaiier as "Aloha welcome it was, dream on peter pan". I have learned to fight for my right to exist on CDF Hawaii from the same person you today are supporting. And then you accuse me of having no Aloha!

Truth is im ok with anyone moving to Hawaii as long as they love the aina, people, culture. My issue has never been your haoles or rich so no to you in Hawaii. Im mostly against haole or the rich because they often don't want to co-exist, its change and dominate and everything is a compitition. CDF Hawaii is an example of this!

I was told to expect to take hits for not currently living in Hawaii. WTF! Does that mean even if what i say is true? Like a great way to cut a electrical bill is to rent an apartment with a strong trade winds going thru the place. So basiclly that isnt credible in itself because its right, its not because i don't live here currently? Hell might as well say
Are you ok with people who don't care, one way or another, about the aina, people, culture..., and just want to live an ocean-oriented life,or whatever other reason they have for moving to Hawaii?

Old 03-11-2014, 01:36 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times
Quote:
Hawaii is not so bad if you want to work hard, and work smart. Like I said before, I came here with nothing, virtually no education, no money, I had legally been (emancipated) an adult right after I turned 16. I had no one to depend on buy myself, never touched and federal or state assistance. I have no toleration for whiners. My husband has a similar background. So yeah I get testy when government and those who thing they deserve more want to to take it from our pockets.

You don't like Hawaii anymore? Just don't come.

But enacting the changes you want will hurt the poor and working class more than anyone else.
I feel the same way, except the other way around (rich entitled to more because they are morally better) taking away from hard working people. And anyway do you think your the only emancipated minor out there or even one with a bad background?

But keeping things the way they are is going to hurt poor and working class worse down the line.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 03-11-2014 at 01:49 PM..

Old 03-11-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Like i said before nothing in its own right is bad. When it gets bad is when the desire for profit or money becomes so bad that we overlook what is right, proper, for others to obtain that profit. Know anyone like that you live in Hawai'i you should have alot of good examples? Kinda like the addict who doesn't hesitate to rob someone else to get money for his or her fix.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:08 PM

@Mikala43*

In response to post #91

I really want to believe that is true and thus we have no issue but i keep running into population stats, news stories etc that say something different. Like majority of people living in oahu are transplants from the mainland, not people born and raised.

And then you also just have the common sence argument that if the population was majority of people born and raised in Hawai'i then i pretty much doubt there would be complaints that the local lifestyle we used to love is gone or we wouldn't have transplants saying hawai'i is not different in anyway to the mainland?

Old 03-11-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I feel the same way, except the other way around (rich entitled to more because they are morally better) taking away from hard working people. And anyway do you think your the only emancipated minor out there or even one with a bad background?

But keeping things the way they are is going to hurt poor and working class worse down the line.
Your record of Balderdash posts continues unabated. Read what you wrote. Do you have any idea how infantile, how whiny, how LAME it reads?

The rich are not (...entitled to more because they are morally better). They, just like anyone else, are entitled to "more" if, and only if, they can and do PAY FOR IT. Does this simple fact, and the ocean of difference between reality, and the drivel you wrote, escape you????? Really????

How and what does a rich person "take away from a hard working person"? Answer, NOTHING. The hardworking people voluntarily give it to the rich in exchange for what they desire. You might research it. It is called "buying".

And do you know the difference between "your" and "you're" as in "you are"??? IMHO, you should stop disrespecting the other members of the forum by posting such ill-formatted, ill-written garbage.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Following Seas View Post
Are you ok with people who don't care, one way or another, about the aina, people, culture..., and just want to live an ocean-oriented life,or whatever other reason they have for moving to Hawaii?
A saying fit this "A government can't get away with something that isn't socially exceptable by its people". So how much pollution and acts that have destroyed parts of our island paradise have you witnessed in the last 20 years or more to our island paradise? How many acts of government corruption have you witnessed? So now i ask. So how is any motive for living in Hawai'i other then love for aina, culture, people working so far? Seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: