Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 05:46 PM

47 posts, read 52,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Continued from above

$54,850 a year gross for one person. Simple math 54,850 divided by 12 = 4570.83 a month to be accepted into affordable housing(hud)

Hawaii Public Housing Authority - State of Hawaii

So how many % wise does this cover for residents in hawaii?
Unfortantly the lines for this help is years long.

In conclusion, it appears not everything is ok. Further its a 1 and every ten people who work just as hard, who make the same good choices will have a chance to make it from the bottom fifth to the upper fifth? Not good odds. So it would be safe to say 1 in every five would make it to middle income.

Point is it appears hawaii is turning into a playground where only the rich will enjoy in the future.

What do you think?

Ok done mahalo for your patience.
Hawaii is what it is, and will continue to move in that direction. Rich people have $$$ and find Hawaii attractive. Ergo, they will move there.

Life is full of choices and compromises. Either accept Hawaii for what it is, and for what it will never be, or don't, but don't expect it will change.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:02 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
@whtviper1

Your quote: According to the Census, 10.8% in Hawaii versus 14.9% in the rest of the US! Wow, isn't everyone poor in Hawaii? end quote:

The problem with your argument is you don't put into account of who lives in Hawai'i? Hawai'i being the most expensive place to live on almost every front, to be successful you would have to be a more economically well off person then other mainland cities. So of course there would be less poverty.

Good chance that the poverty levels are not mainlanders but longterm locals, multi generation families and native hawaiians, single moms etc.

A good example of this is the price of buying a house 800,000 in Hawai'i but the same house goes for 150k in vegas.

Honolulu Real Estate Trends: What's Next? - Honolulu Magazine - July 2013 - Hawaii

But if your a multi-generational family here, you're family has probably been "handing down" homes, or doing a slow sell and upgrade. They bought when you weren't going IN at 800K.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-10-2014, 10:04 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Of course a lot of that money is coming from Hawaii - think of all the people in Hawaii who bought houses in the 70's, 80's, even the 90's - they are living in houses worth potentially an extreme amount of money - if you bought in 1984 with a 30 year mortgage, you have a completely paid off house - they make a heck of a down payment on the next place.

The median home in the mid-80's in the US was about $85,000 - if that person bought a house for lets say $170K in Hawaii that is a heck of gain for a house that is likely over $1 million today.

Here in Kailua, when you look at pricing history, the houses that go for $1.2 million or so were only going for less than $500K in the late 90's - that is quite a gain to apply to the next house.
This right here.^^^^
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-10-2014, 10:26 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
@Following Seas

I believe i have pinned down what is so different about Hawai'i today vs Hawai'i of my time. I was speaking to a few younger generation guys from Home yesterday. Hawai'i has changed in appearances but what is sad is it sounds like the Hawai'i lifestyle which was part of a good package for spending alot of money to live there has been changed to the Hawai'i is a status symbol, which is kinda lame because in effect your now paying for good weather and because its a status symble vs good weather, beach, exotic experiences, different culture experiences etc etc you got when i lived there.

You see it in the replacement of local kine busines(lifestyle) with highend stores(status symbols). Examples go on and on.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
This right here.^^^^
But in reality how many long term locals would you say are left? Cant be more then 50% in population because then the lifestyle that these people enjoyed wouldn't have changed.

77', average home price was $94,028, cheaper not just in sticker price but cost of living. Wages were higher back then in terms with keeping up with the cost of living. Today your having more people asking this question then ever Is Hawaii Worth It? - Honolulu Magazine - April 2012 - Hawaii

No its not all doom and gloom, like the damage of the aina in Oahu, probably won't completely happen in our generation but how about our childrens?

See i could of stayed with culture threads

Old 03-10-2014, 11:38 AM

Lets try a different approach. Workers in the Honolulu Metropolitan Statistical Area had an average (mean) hourly wage of $22.24 in May 2012, about 1 percent above the nationwide average of $22.01, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. But thats less then 50k a year thats 50% of the workforce makes less then 50k a year.

OCCUPATIONAL EMPLOYMENT AND WAGES IN HONOLULU- MAY 2012

Now according to the Feds for Oahu you are eligible for Sec 8 housing if your a single person who makes less then $54,850 annual.

So basically half of oahu is eligible for Sec 8 housing. So is everything a ok? Or is this becoming a land of the rich? Is my logic wrong?

Old 03-10-2014, 12:07 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Lets try a different approach. Workers in the Honolulu Metropolitan Statistical Area had an average (mean) hourly wage of $22.24 in May 2012, about 1 percent above the nationwide average of $22.01, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. But thats less then 50k a year thats 50% of the workforce makes less then 50k a year.

OCCUPATIONAL EMPLOYMENT AND WAGES IN HONOLULU- MAY 2012

Now according to the Feds for Oahu you are eligible for Sec 8 housing if your a single person who makes less then $54,850 annual.

So basically half of oahu is eligible for Sec 8 housing. So is everything a ok? Or is this becoming a land of the rich? Is my logic wrong?
That is such a completely and false post - again.

It isn't $54,850 to be eligible. $54,850 is the HUD limit - now you need to make a certain percentage of that to be eligible.

To be eligible - you need to be at the very low limit of HUD (currently $33,550 for 1 person) or extremely low income of HUD (Currently $20,150) - and the program has to have at least 75% of the participants in the extremely low income limit (again, $20,150). And it is all a moot point since they aren't accepting applications right now. And - you can't just be a single person to get assistance even at those levels, the household has to have at least 2 people (exceptions for pregnant women)

It is absurd and misleading to suggest a single person on Oahu can get housing assistance at $54,850 - get your facts correct.

admissionandeligibility, Official Web Site for The City and County of Honolulu

Old 03-10-2014, 12:44 PM

^^^^^

Last time viper, $54,850 is the highest annual income one person can make to be eligible to live in a Sec 8 housing apartment right? So if you make more then that you can no longer live there right? So half of oahu is eligible for Sec 8 housing under this guideline. Doesnt mean they will be accepted. Im pretty sure standards do changed based on demands. The higher the demands for housing the stricter the requirements to enter is as in the case of your 12/18/2013 info. But still that doesn't take anything away from the point.

And its you who needs to get your facts in order about Definition of Family. A hint know it all. Elderly, disabled, or displaced applicants and families consisting of 2 or more persons shall have preference over a single person.

admissionandeligibility, Official Web Site for The City and County of Honolulu

Plus im looking at the state website not city or country site.

Also there is like 4 different programs

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 03-10-2014 at 12:54 PM..

Old 03-10-2014, 01:02 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Chinese investors aren't buying $800K properties. They buy the multi-million dollar houses.

I know $800K sounds like a lot to you - but 2 wage earners making $70K each can easily afford a $800K house. There are a lot of people making $70K on Oahu. $800K with 10% down at 4%, is only $3,400/month, or $1,700 each. And, they'll quite a lot of that back as part of a tax refund - certainly several thousand dollars.

And there are plenty of people with a lot of equity in their current houses upgrading and using that equity as a down payment.
Median individual income in Honolulu County is $31358. $70k is 2.2x the median! And you need to make that much to afford a median house.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:24 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:

Last time viper, $54,850 is the highest annual income one person can make to be eligible to live in a Sec 8 housing apartment right?
NO - NO - and NO. Not even close.

You have to make 50% of that number to even qualify (as a family, except pregnant women) - and 75% of the applicants have to make only 30% of that number.

To recap - if they were even accepting applicants - based on HUD $54,850, if you were a single woman with a child, you'd have to make only $27,425 to even qualify. And, 3/4 of the applicants can only make $16,455.

So - 2 person household, $27,425 and 3/4 of the applicants can only make $16,455. Not $54,850.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: