Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 07:24 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,553,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by axelthefox View Post
There are people who argue while playing video games and such and i feel it's better and such.

I think one way of fighting is saying that video games are not art or saying that skyrim sucks on a message board.

Or is it only common with basement dwellers?
I have no idea what you are getting at.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Broken bones? Stab wounds? Torn ear? I’d rather skip hanging out in Puna, or Kalihi, or Waianae than carry a gun. Ha ha ha. This paranoia is hilarious by the gun folks.
Your morally-superior fixation is showing again. It's only paranoia until it happens, then it is very real. But if you prefer feelings of moral superiority over survival, that is your choice - just don't try to force everyone else to make your mistake. I sincerely hope nothing bad happens, but I suggest you stack the odds in your favor, so that if it does, you can deter it without incurring damage.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Over 100 times.

Yes, unfortunately for work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ted_death_rate

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...ther-countries

https://www.cnn.com/2017/10/03/ameri...ics/index.html

Are we just bad people in the US?? Or, too many guns? You choose.
The demographic data collected by the FBI indicates that there are significant demographic sectors in the US that are the principle cause of exacerbated crime levels.

Switzerland has compulsory gun-ownership but very low crime, so it isn't the presence or prevalence of guns that is responsible.

Also remember that the criminal element will always be armed. The only question is will their victim pool be unarmed, and, therefore, helpless, or armed and able to deter their own victimization. You seem to prefer the former, I, the later.

I wish you the best, but caution you against thinking that your willful "easy pickins" status confers any sort of moral or ethical superiority to you. In fact, the opposite is true. By being a defenseless victim-in-waiting, you help enable the criminal element and their transgressions upon the people. In other words, instead of feeling morally superior, you truly should feel morally guilty - because you ARE!!!

Old 07-31-2018, 12:45 PM

293 posts, read 191,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
I have no idea what you are getting at.
Watashi wa baka desu

Old 07-31-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axelthefox View Post
Watashi wa baka desu
Domo Arigato Mr. Roboto, domo...domo!

Old 08-05-2018, 08:12 AM

919 posts, read 789,509 times
Quote:
only question is will their victim pool be unarmed, and, therefore, helpless,
guess by your definition I've been helpless my entire life! Funny though, I've never been attacked by any armed invader.

Also interesting is that I've never accidentally shot anyone, never had one of my children find my gun and shoot their friend or sibling, never had anyone from my family commit suicide with my gun. These things, I understand, are statistically more likely to happen than is my ability to "protect" my family so really, I don't feel helpless at all. It's all in your point of view I guess.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:46 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauialoha View Post
guess by your definition I've been helpless my entire life! Funny though, I've never been attacked by any armed invader.

Also interesting is that I've never accidentally shot anyone, never had one of my children find my gun and shoot their friend or sibling, never had anyone from my family commit suicide with my gun. These things, I understand, are statistically more likely to happen than is my ability to "protect" my family so really, I don't feel helpless at all. It's all in your point of view I guess.
Yep, you are a statistical anomaly in the US - as I am - and all the people I know who also don't own guns.

I've been fortunate to live in Japan (0.3 guns per 100 people), Germany (19.6 guns per 100 people), and Australia (14.5 guns per 100 people) and it doesn't cross your mind you'd get shot by someone with a gun. Switzerland, by the way - 27.6 guns per 100 people, for the person who thinks everyone has a gun. In Germany, there are roughly .12 gun deaths per 100,000 people - from a country that started 2 world wars (Japan is .04)

But, in the good ole USA - wait for it, there are 120.5 guns per 100 people (civilian rate). Imagine that - and people want even more guns (1 for each hand perhaps?). The US has roughly 4% of the world population and yet has 46% of the worlds civilian guns. No surprise, 3.85 gun deaths per 100,000 people. So, we don't only want to own guns, we really like to shoot them at people also.

https://gun-control.procon.org/view....ourceID=006080

Old 08-05-2018, 11:35 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauialoha View Post

The purpose of an individual being armed is to be prepared for that low probability high risk event. That is their Constitutional choice whether to want to be armed or not. It is a right given to them by God.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:39 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,895 times
Quote:
Yep, you are a statistical anomaly in the US - as I am - and all the people I know who also don't own guns.

I've been fortunate to live in Japan (0.3 guns per 100 people), Germany (19.6 guns per 100 people), and Australia (14.5 guns per 100 people) and it doesn't cross your mind you'd get shot by someone with a gun. Switzerland, by the way - 27.6 guns per 100 people, for the person who thinks everyone has a gun. In Germany, there are roughly .12 gun deaths per 100,000 people - from a country that started 2 world wars (Japan is .04)

But, in the good ole USA - wait for it, there are 120.5 guns per 100 people (civilian rate). Imagine that - and people want even more guns (1 for each hand perhaps?). The US has roughly 4% of the world population and yet has 46% of the worlds civilian guns. No surprise, 3.85 gun deaths per 100,000 people. So, we don't only want to own guns, we really like to shoot them at people also.

https://gun-control.procon.org/view....ourceID=006080

How many of those gun deaths as a result to suicide and accidental discharge? How many of those deaths do to gang violence? So considering we own 46% of the worlds guns, 3.85 gun deaths for every 100,000 people is pretty damn good.

It must be very scary walking around the continental United States with all these guns all over the place?

Old 08-05-2018, 02:14 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
The purpose of an individual being armed is to be prepared for that low probability high risk event.
Or, alternatively - just shoot other people. While I'm about to get on a flight soon and don't know if the statistic is out there - I suspect many people are shooting people during the act of a crime than defending themselves. I'd bet it is a statistically low number of people who are actually defending themselves. Maybe - just maybe - if there weren't all those guns out there - one would not actually need a gun like the rest of developed world.

Quote:
That is their Constitutional choice whether to want to be armed or not.
For now. It wasn't until 25 years ago or so when the court tilted to the crazy gun culture/gun shooting people craze - before then, courts stayed out of the debate and it was squarely a militia issue.

Quote:
It is a right given to them by God.
God? Whoa - you had me worried there. I thought it might be Muhammad - or Buddha - shoot (no pun intended ha ha) - someone needs to get that memo to Israel - where they have strict gun control, they seem fairly God like, correct? You'd actually think a place like Israel, with plenty of people around them who don't exactly want a group hug, would really be gun happy (6.7 guns per 100 people - US 120.5). Come on God, get the message to Israel.

Quote:
How many of those gun deaths as a result to suicide and accidental discharge? How many of those deaths do to gang violence? So considering we own 46% of the worlds guns, 3.85 gun deaths for every 100,000 people is pretty damn good.
3.85 is "pretty damn good" Really? Highest in the developed world - .12 in Germany, .07 in UK, .04 in Japan, even Indonesia is .10. We look like idiots around the world.

Tell you what - I suspect if there were no guns - you wouldn't exactly have as many suicides by gun. How many suicides do you think have happened because of too many drinks/drugs and a gun was handy? Accidental discharge? Seriously - again - no gun, no discharge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii