Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 07:05 AM

50,313 posts, read 47,056,299 times

Advertisements

U.S. appeals court says 2nd Amendment allows the open carrying of guns

Old 07-26-2018, 01:17 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,315,787 times
Considering Hawaii doesn’t issue carry conceal permits, why would anyone think Hawaii will issue open carry permits? This ruling is a big nothingburger for Hawaii. Hawaii will not turn into the O.K. Corral like in all states that do issue conceal carry and open carry permits. Hawaii is safe from being the Wild West like it is in 30 states that do not even require a permit to open carry. I would avoid going into those states if you can.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:04 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,008,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
Considering Hawaii doesn’t issue carry conceal permits, why would anyone think Hawaii will issue open carry permits? This ruling is a big nothingburger for Hawaii. Hawaii will not turn into the O.K. Corral like in all states that do issue conceal carry and open carry permits. Hawaii is safe from being the Wild West like it is in 30 states that do not even require a permit to open carry. I would avoid going into those states if you can.
Because they ruled that not issuing any permits, which is the route Hawaii takes now, is unconstitutional. So no, it is not a big "nothingburger" like you claim. It's actually a big deal.

I personally hope that concealed carry and open carry comes to Hawaii and the ridiculous restrictions we have on guns goes away.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:24 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,315,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Because they ruled that not issuing any permits, which is the route Hawaii takes now, is unconstitutional. So no, it is not a big "nothingburger" like you claim. It's actually a big deal.

I personally hope that concealed carry and open carry comes to Hawaii and the ridiculous restrictions we have on guns goes away.
Hawaii won’t issue the permits. You think they care what a federal court ruled. Permits still have to be issued. I was being satirical about the Wild West and O.K. Corral. In the end, even if Hawaii does start issuing permits, no one is going to be carrying. Kind of a pain in the ass to go into the ocean strapping.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
Hawaii won’t issue the permits. You think they care what a federal court ruled. Permits still have to be issued. I was being satirical about the Wild West and O.K. Corral. In the end, even if Hawaii does start issuing permits, no one is going to be carrying. Kind of a pain in the ass to go into the ocean strapping.
Did you read the ruling? Because that is why Hawaii was sued in the first place. Because they don't issue permits. They let you apply for one but don't issue it. The case essentially ruled that it is a constitutional right to carry so Hawaii cannot just keep denying permits.

Hawaii will more than likely request a rehearing with the entire court and the original decision may get reversed. But, I suspect that there may be some hesitation since the risk is the Supreme Court (with a conservative majority and Scalia gone) taking the case and ruling for the entire Nation on the right to carry.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:54 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Did you read the ruling? Because that is why Hawaii was sued in the first place. Because they don't issue permits. They let you apply for one but don't issue it. The case essentially ruled that it is a constitutional right to carry so Hawaii cannot just keep denying permits.

Hawaii will more than likely request a rehearing with the entire court and the original decision may get reversed. But, I suspect that there may be some hesitation since the risk is the Supreme Court (with a conservative majority and Scalia gone) taking the case and ruling for the entire Nation on the right to carry.
Exactly. And, unless this ruling gets overturned en banc or by the Supreme Court (fat chance if Kavanaugh gets confirmed), this ruling applies to all states that fall under the jurisdiction of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. That includes Hawaii--the state that was sued--and a good handful of other states. Simply put, Hawaii and other states with similarly strict anti gun laws (no concealed carry or open carry permits) would be forced to issue at least one type of permit.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:00 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,070 times
Sure, everyone in Hawaii should be able to carry a gun, we need more feel good stories around here, so we can be MORE like the Madland;

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/31/u...-year-old.html

Old 07-27-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Sure, everyone in Hawaii should be able to carry a gun, we need more feel good stories around here, so we can be MORE like the Madland;

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/31/u...-year-old.html

The fact is the court ruled that carrying is a constitutional right. If you don't want to carry and trust our inept and corrupt police force to protect you then that's fine. But citizens should have the right to carry should they want to.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:23 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Before everyone panics about a bunch of open carry guns laws in Hawaii - this still has a ways to go. A sure bet this will get appealed to the full appellate court which has not been very gun friendly. If the full appellate court strikes this down - not very likely the Supreme Court will take it up.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:30 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
Don't mind me...

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....act_id=2814691

That just sorta indicates that CCW permit holders are more law-abiding than LEO/police (by 1:6 when looking at conviction rates ~ not exactly an insignificant ratio). The MOST law abiding group of people to be classified. I kinda thought everyone Wanted law-abiding neighbors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii