Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 04:26 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
I wouldn't want it any other way. You, however, free to live as a peasant does, helpless victim to anyone who wishes to do him harm.

Private ownership of firearms is the ONLY real guarantor of freedom. Those that have them, live free, those that don't, won't. Sooner or later, some bad guy will have his way with them.

I prefer freedom and willing accept the risk. If you aren't, well give Venezuela a try.

To quote the individual whose name you've adopted,

'What's wrong with you. I mean, really, what's wrong with you'. Must be one click shy of hell living in that head of yours.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:35 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,554,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post

'What's wrong with you. I mean, really, what's wrong with you'. Must be one click shy of hell living in that head og yours.
You live in a delusional mind-state. Study history. It can happen here, too.

I don't know who you are quoting but he has you to a T.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:47 PM

293 posts, read 191,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post

'What's wrong with you. I mean, really, what's wrong with you'. Must be one click shy of hell living in that head of yours.
wut

Old 08-07-2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axelthefox View Post
I wonder if it's violent video games like call of duty that is causing most of the violence.

I have seen on tv,people linking violent video games to violence
Quite possible!

Old 08-08-2018, 12:11 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,163,270 times
I find the escalation of modern mass shootings an perplexing phenomenon. Many are quick to blame the availability of "assault rifles" such as the AR-15. An interesting note. Back in the early to late 80's when my father had an FFL (Federal Firearms License), at that time you could easily buy a fully automatic lower reciever for rifles such as the AR-15, FN/FAL's, AK variants and a number of other "assault" style weapons. You could then pop them onto an upper reciever (as the upper reciever is what is stamped with a serial number and considered the actual rifle, and viola, you had a fully automatic weapon (as opposed to the semi-autos that are pretty much all you can get today). Tens of thousands of these recievers were sold back then and I would guess quite a few are still out there in people's collections. You could also buy working grenade fuses, then buy grenade bodies seperately and reassemble them into working grenades.
Those loopholes were eventually closed by the BATF and you could no longer get such dangerous toys.
I find it interesting that we have such an issue today with mass shootings and the hysteria regarding the AR-15, when only 30 years ago the average person could procure much, much more lethal weaponry.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
I find the escalation of modern mass shootings an perplexing phenomenon. Many are quick to blame the availability of "assault rifles" such as the AR-15. An interesting note. Back in the early to late 80's when my father had an FFL (Federal Firearms License), at that time you could easily buy a fully automatic lower reciever for rifles such as the AR-15, FN/FAL's, AK variants and a number of other "assault" style weapons. You could then pop them onto an upper reciever (as the upper reciever is what is stamped with a serial number and considered the actual rifle, and viola, you had a fully automatic weapon (as opposed to the semi-autos that are pretty much all you can get today). Tens of thousands of these recievers were sold back then and I would guess quite a few are still out there in people's collections. You could also buy working grenade fuses, then buy grenade bodies seperately and reassemble them into working grenades.
Those loopholes were eventually closed by the BATF and you could no longer get such dangerous toys.
I find it interesting that we have such an issue today with mass shootings and the hysteria regarding the AR-15, when only 30 years ago the average person could procure much, much more lethal weaponry.
Liberalism, and its pillar "abdication of self-responsibility" is at fault.

You are not responsible, it is somebody else's fault.

You are not responsible, we'll feed you, house you.

You are not responsible, it is the evil ????? (corporations etc.)

Liberalism is rotting the core of our country, and mass-shootings are but one symptom.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:29 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post

In 1988 you essentially had no internet - certainly no social media - even CNN was in its infancy (if you even had cable). People didn't have YouTube to talk about wanting to do mass shootings - you didn't get egged on by anonymous people to carry out threats, etc. It wasn't the gratuitous crime it is today.

in 1994, assault weapons were banned by the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act. That act expired in 2004, and not surprisingly, assault weapons were now readily able to be obtained and mass shootings spiked.

What I find interesting, with so many people quoting the 2nd Amendment - it wasn't until 2008, yes only 10 years ago, District of Columbia v Heller - that court (via 8 years of Reagan, 12 years of Bush's) took up the individual right of gun ownership. The constitution, prior to 2008, had not been interpreted by the court as an individual right, but instead focused on the preservation and efficiency of a well regulated militia (1939, US v Miller) as it stated Congress could regulate short barreled (sawed off) shotguns. Congress and the public at the time didn't exactly have the appetite for the shoot em up lifestyle that was prevalent in the 1920's. The precedent existed nearly 70 years.

Old 08-08-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
In 1988 you essentially had no internet - certainly no social media - even CNN was in its infancy (if you even had cable). People didn't have YouTube to talk about wanting to do mass shootings - you didn't get egged on by anonymous people to carry out threats, etc. It wasn't the gratuitous crime it is today.

in 1994, assault weapons were banned by the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act. That act expired in 2004, and not surprisingly, assault weapons were now readily able to be obtained and mass shootings spiked.

What I find interesting, with so many people quoting the 2nd Amendment - it wasn't until 2008, yes only 10 years ago, District of Columbia v Heller - that court (via 8 years of Reagan, 12 years of Bush's) took up the individual right of gun ownership. The constitution, prior to 2008, had not been interpreted by the court as an individual right, but instead focused on the preservation and efficiency of a well regulated militia (1939, US v Miller) as it stated Congress could regulate short barreled (sawed off) shotguns. Congress and the public at the time didn't exactly have the appetite for the shoot em up lifestyle that was prevalent in the 1920's. The precedent existed nearly 70 years.
The 2A is part of ! An overarching document penned by the Founders called The Bill of Rights, a document whose sole purpose is to preserve and protect individual rights deemed so important as to be deemed vital. That document dealing strictly with rights of the people plays no role in establishing either organs of, or powers of the government. The record is clear on the intent of the Founders re RKBA, as well.

You may think your judgement is superior to that of the Founders, but I make no such determination.
The courts may think THEY are the Constitution, but that is a hijacked power not supported in the USC.

I stand with James Madison, et al, NOT shallow-minded fools devoid of an underststanding of the broader history of mankind, and the vital role arm play in FREEDOM.

Last edited by Open-D; 08-08-2018 at 12:41 PM..

Old 08-08-2018, 01:37 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Not appropriate content for Hawaii forum.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii