Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 02:36 PM

30,640 posts, read 18,235,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Yep, you are a statistical anomaly in the US - as I am - and all the people I know who also don't own guns.

I've been fortunate to live in Japan (0.3 guns per 100 people), Germany (19.6 guns per 100 people), and Australia (14.5 guns per 100 people) and it doesn't cross your mind you'd get shot by someone with a gun. Switzerland, by the way - 27.6 guns per 100 people, for the person who thinks everyone has a gun. In Germany, there are roughly .12 gun deaths per 100,000 people - from a country that started 2 world wars (Japan is .04)

But, in the good ole USA - wait for it, there are 120.5 guns per 100 people (civilian rate). Imagine that - and people want even more guns (1 for each hand perhaps?). The US has roughly 4% of the world population and yet has 46% of the worlds civilian guns. No surprise, 3.85 gun deaths per 100,000 people. So, we don't only want to own guns, we really like to shoot them at people also.

https://gun-control.procon.org/view....ourceID=006080
While there are fewer guns per person in Switzerland than there are in the US, a much higher (substantially higher) percentage of the population in Switzerland own guns than is the case in the US. It just so happens that those who do own guns in the US tend to own a higher number of them than is the case in Switzerland.

Old 08-05-2018, 02:39 PM

30,640 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Or, alternatively - just shoot other people. While I'm about to get on a flight soon and don't know if the statistic is out there - I suspect many people are shooting people during the act of a crime than defending themselves. I'd bet it is a statistically low number of people who are actually defending themselves. Maybe - just maybe - if there weren't all those guns out there - one would not actually need a gun like the rest of developed world.

For now. It wasn't until 25 years ago or so when the court tilted to the crazy gun culture/gun shooting people craze - before then, courts stayed out of the debate and it was squarely a militia issue.

God? Whoa - you had me worried there. I thought it might be Muhammad - or Buddha - shoot (no pun intended ha ha) - someone needs to get that memo to Israel - where they have strict gun control, they seem fairly God like, correct? You'd actually think a place like Israel, with plenty of people around them who don't exactly want a group hug, would really be gun happy (6.7 guns per 100 people - US 120.5). Come on God, get the message to Israel.

3.85 is "pretty damn good" Really? Highest in the developed world - .12 in Germany, .07 in UK, .04 in Japan, even Indonesia is .10. We look like idiots around the world.

Tell you what - I suspect if there were no guns - you wouldn't exactly have as many suicides by gun. How many suicides do you think have happened because of too many drinks/drugs and a gun was handy? Accidental discharge? Seriously - again - no gun, no discharge.
Not disagreeing here (although I still support the 2nd Amendment), but I do find it interesting that many people will support the right of medical suicide but then get bent out of shape when people take their lives by other means. Also, while I'm sorry to see folks go that way, its their bodies and lives. They are free to do what they will with them.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:29 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,315,787 times
Quote:
Or, alternatively - just shoot other people. While I'm about to get on a flight soon and don't know if the statistic is out there - I suspect many people are shooting people during the act of a crime than defending themselves. I'd bet it is a statistically low number of people who are actually defending themselves. Maybe - just maybe - if there weren't all those guns out there - one would not actually need a gun like the rest of developed world.

For now. It wasn't until 25 years ago or so when the court tilted to the crazy gun culture/gun shooting people craze - before then, courts stayed out of the debate and it was squarely a militia issue.

God? Whoa - you had me worried there. I thought it might be Muhammad - or Buddha - shoot (no pun intended ha ha) - someone needs to get that memo to Israel - where they have strict gun control, they seem fairly God like, correct? You'd actually think a place like Israel, with plenty of people around them who don't exactly want a group hug, would really be gun happy (6.7 guns per 100 people - US 120.5). Come on God, get the message to Israel.

3.85 is "pretty damn good" Really? Highest in the developed world - .12 in Germany, .07 in UK, .04 in Japan, even Indonesia is .10. We look like idiots around the world.

Tell you what - I suspect if there were no guns - you wouldn't exactly have as many suicides by gun. How many suicides do you think have happened because of too many drinks/drugs and a gun was handy? Accidental discharge? Seriously - again - no gun, no discharge.
So law abiding citizens are running around the nation shooting other people? Can you show me a statistic on law abiding citizens out of control shooting other people?

Really? So people outside of a militia having the right to keep and bear arms is something new? What proof you have that the Second Amendment only applies to a militia?

That is what separates America from every other nation. We are a nation that recognizes the rights we have we are born with given to us by God. Basically what this enlightened thought is saying is, rights are not given to us by man, but rather something we have at birth. Whether you believe in the existence of God or not, the rights you have cannot be given to you by men and can’t be taken away by men. This is why progressivism and the Constitution are incompatible.

Yes, 3.85 is pretty damn excellent considering half the worlds guns are here in our possession. You are also not taking into consideration suicide which accounts for more than 60% of gun related deaths. You eliminate gang related violaence in our ghetto neighborhoods and suicide, America is among the safest places in the world.

So you think someone who wants to commit suicide needs a gun? Have you looked at the suicide rate in Japan? They are a million different methods of suicide beside using a gun.

I’m sure you looked over this statistic, the number of guns in our nation have doubled since the 1990’s, yet gun violence has been cut in half. By your logic, gun violence should have doubled.

It is true, no gun, no discharge. That is your argument against the Second Amendment? What is your point?

Old 08-06-2018, 11:12 PM

293 posts, read 191,696 times
Japan i notice seems to have a very low crime rate

Last edited by axelthefox; 08-07-2018 at 12:18 AM..

Old 08-07-2018, 11:26 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,655 times
Maybe those wonderful folks at the NRA can kokua the open carry wannabes in Hawaii.

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/was...nd-of-the-nra/

O ia paha'ole?

Old 08-07-2018, 01:26 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,555,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axelthefox View Post
Japan i notice seems to have a very low crime rate
Yes, all their crime rates are low, including those that don't involve guns, so it is a cultural thing, not a gun-control thing.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauialoha View Post
guess by your definition I've been helpless my entire life! Funny though, I've never been attacked by any armed invader.

Also interesting is that I've never accidentally shot anyone, never had one of my children find my gun and shoot their friend or sibling, never had anyone from my family commit suicide with my gun. These things, I understand, are statistically more likely to happen than is my ability to "protect" my family so really, I don't feel helpless at all. It's all in your point of view I guess.
You may not feel "helpless" right now, but if some bad guy with a baseball bat has it in for you, you'd feel pretty helpless, pretty quick - and for good reason. As a non-gun-owner you WOULD be helpless.

Your application of anecdotal evidence in no way buttresses your "argument". OTOH, the reams of real-world evidence collected by the FBI, showing being armed and using a firearms to defend against an attack yields the best opportunity of a favorable outcome, i.e. survival, certainly does have meaning in the debate.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Yep, you are a statistical anomaly in the US - as I am - and all the people I know who also don't own guns.

I've been fortunate to live in Japan (0.3 guns per 100 people), Germany (19.6 guns per 100 people), and Australia (14.5 guns per 100 people) and it doesn't cross your mind you'd get shot by someone with a gun. Switzerland, by the way - 27.6 guns per 100 people, for the person who thinks everyone has a gun. In Germany, there are roughly .12 gun deaths per 100,000 people - from a country that started 2 world wars (Japan is .04)

But, in the good ole USA - wait for it, there are 120.5 guns per 100 people (civilian rate). Imagine that - and people want even more guns (1 for each hand perhaps?). The US has roughly 4% of the world population and yet has 46% of the worlds civilian guns. No surprise, 3.85 gun deaths per 100,000 people. So, we don't only want to own guns, we really like to shoot them at people also.

https://gun-control.procon.org/view....ourceID=006080
I wouldn't want it any other way. You, however, free to live as a peasant does, helpless victim to anyone who wishes to do him harm.

Private ownership of firearms is the ONLY real guarantor of freedom. Those that have them, live free, those that don't, won't. Sooner or later, some bad guy will have his way with them.

I prefer freedom and willing accept the risk. If you aren't, well give Venezuela a try.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
Yes, all their crime rates are low, including those that don't involve guns, so it is a cultural thing, not a gun-control thing.
I wonder if it's violent video games like call of duty that is causing most of the violence.

I have seen on tv,people linking violent video games to violence

Old 08-07-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
I wouldn't want it any other way. You, however, free to live as a peasant does, helpless victim to anyone who wishes to do him harm.

Private ownership of firearms is the ONLY real guarantor of freedom. Those that have them, live free, those that don't, won't. Sooner or later, some bad guy will have his way with them.

I prefer freedom and willing accept the risk. If you aren't, well give Venezuela a try.
Imho, freedom shouldn't be calculated that way.

The United States puts more people into prison than any other country,N Korea included. Even for non violent crimes

https://www.prisonpolicy.org/reports/pie2018.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii