Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2022, 01:04 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,827,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
It is a State requirement
https://hawaiicovid19.com/mask-guidance/

QUOTE: On March 26, masks will no longer be required while indoors. Masks are still strongly recommended for people over age 65, with compromised immune systems, who care for people at risk of severe illness and those unvaccinated for COVID-19.

Where masks are strongly recommended
Schools
Hospitals and health care facilities
Long term care facilities
Shelters
Correctional facilities
Congregate living facilities
Crowded setting

There is an obvious difference between required and recommended.

If you know of a source that says masks are still required anywhere, please share it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2022, 01:18 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Have you been told no masks in classrooms? It has been all over the news this morning - masks still required in classrooms.

Required

https://www.kitv.com/news/hawaii-wil...d7ab0dcb6.html

Required

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...-in-classrooms

Old 03-25-2022, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Have you been told no masks in classrooms? It has been all over the news this morning - masks still required in classrooms.

Required

https://www.kitv.com/news/hawaii-wil...d7ab0dcb6.html

Required

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...-in-classrooms

That is what I posted that started this exchange
:

"Meanwhile, schools have announced that they will keep it anyway. WTF! Kids are in the lowest risk category."

You claimed that it was a "federal mandate". I disproved that, then you said it was a "State requirement". I disproved that as well.

So we are back to what I stated to begin with. HDOE is preserving this rule even though it is no longer required at the Federal or State level.

My question is why?

Old 03-25-2022, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post

:

"Meanwhile, schools have announced that they will keep it anyway. WTF! Kids are in the lowest risk category."

You claimed that it was a "federal mandate". I disproved that, then you said it was a "State requirement". I disproved that as well.

So we are back to what I stated to begin with. HDOE is preserving this rule even though it is no longer required at the Federal or State level.

My question is why?
I never claimed it was a Federal Mandate - I listed the Federal mandate around public transportation then used a - to transition.

It doesn't matter why. It is what it is.

Old 03-25-2022, 03:30 PM

344 posts, read 250,546 times
Quote:

:

My question is why?

I think you answered your own question above. I think it is mostly CYA at this point.

When government health experts say masks are still "strongly recommended" in schools, what superintendent is going to ignore that unless there is a really strong groundswell in their local district to cover his back? All it takes is one kid to get sick at the school and some parent will sue claiming the school was negligent in not following the "strong recommendations" of health experts.

Old 03-25-2022, 03:59 PM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post
I think you answered your own question above. I think it is mostly CYA at this point.

When government health experts say masks are still "strongly recommended" in schools, what superintendent is going to ignore that unless there is a really strong groundswell in their local district to cover his back? .
The States' "strong recommendation" is actually contrary to CDC guidance, given current metrics in Hawaii.

Superintendents could point out that parents and/or kids can choose to continue wearing masks if they so desire.

Schools could possibly get some assistance in their decision by surveying staff and students, as was done in my AK community. The majority wanted the mask mandate lifted, so it will be on April 4. This decision can be reversed if community hazard level goes beyond low to medium, per CDC guidance.

Hawaii is currently "low" everywhere, AFAIK.

Old 03-25-2022, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post

When government health experts say masks are still "strongly recommended" in schools, what superintendent is going to ignore that unless there is a really strong groundswell in their local district to cover his back? All it takes is one kid to get sick at the school and some parent will sue claiming the school was negligent in not following the "strong recommendations" of health experts.

CYA seems most likely. The problem is, we already have high school kids who refuse to wear them. You can send them to the office, but that just makes them angry at you, personally.

Schools will not suspend them for this and now that it is no longer a State or Federal requirement, it will become even harder to justify.

I suspect we will now see them mostly worn as "chin-diapers" if at all.

Make them optional!

Old 03-26-2022, 12:16 PM

Quote:
The problem is, we already have high school kids who refuse to wear them.
If you can't even follow rules in high school - that does not bode well for them the rest of their lives.

Old 03-26-2022, 12:43 PM

Quote:
If you can't even follow rules in high school - that does not bode well for them the rest of their lives.
This got me thinking about all of the rules I (we) broke in high school. Cutting an occasional class, copying someone else's homework, going out for lunch even though we were a "closed" campus, Senior ditch day, drinking before proms, etc.

Somehow, we all seemed to find success in life, and history continues to repeat itself 50 years later.

My dad told similar stories dating back 80 years.

Old 03-26-2022, 01:38 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Quote:
This got me thinking about all of the rules I (we) broke in high school. Cutting an occasional class, copying someone else's homework, going out for lunch even though we were a "closed" campus, Senior ditch day, drinking before proms, etc.

Somehow, we all seemed to find success in life, and history continues to repeat itself 50 years later.

My dad told similar stories dating back 80 years.
Ditto to Futuremauian. I hated school. Pretty much disregarded everything about it. Dropped out during 11th grade.

Self educated. Completed a military career. Ran my own small printing and graphics business for 30 years. Raised three kids and a couple fosters. Lived a minimalist lifestyle on boats. Invested the savings. Retired with a portfolio that most Americans would consider at least very well off. Two marriages over 22 and 30 years each ended in my caretaking their long illnesses till death parted us. Participated in volunteer service for homeless and struggling veterans for over 30 years as well.

School just sucked. Thought it then. Still do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii