Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2021, 12:59 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
I’m not obese, but I’m a big dude. I weigh 270 and 6’2” I would like to get my weight down to 230. Im all for the vaccine, but I want to know the science behind the booster first. I never received the flu shot and I have never been infected with the flu.
You are definitely obese - you have a BMI of nearly 35. Obesity starts at 30 (overweight starts at 25)

Even when you get down to 230 - you are on the edge of Obese at a BMI of 29.5

You've got to get yourself down to 195 for the highest end of normal weight.

https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/as...alculator.html

For the information you entered:

Height: 6 feet, 2 inches

Weight: 270 pounds

Your BMI is 34.7, indicating your weight is in the Obese category for adults of your height.

For your height, a normal weight range would be from 144 to 194 pounds.

People who are overweight or obese are at higher risk for chronic conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, and high cholesterol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2021, 01:36 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,316,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
You are definitely obese - you have a BMI of nearly 35. Obesity starts at 30 (overweight starts at 25)

Even when you get down to 230 - you are on the edge of Obese at a BMI of 29.5

You've got to get yourself down to 195 for the highest end of normal weight.

https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/as...alculator.html

For the information you entered:

Weight: 270 pounds

Your BMI is 34.7, indicating your weight is in the Obese category for adults of your height.

For your height, a normal weight range would be from 144 to 194 pounds.

People who are overweight or obese are at higher risk for chronic conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, and high cholesterol.
I have a lot of muscle. I worked out my entire life lifting weights. You can’t look at the numbers like that. 270 and 6’2” of a person who is blob is different than a someone who has hit the gym. Put it this way, if I can get down to 240, I’ll have a six pack.

Old 08-20-2021, 02:10 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,361,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
I have a lot of muscle. I worked out my entire life lifting weights. You can’t look at the numbers like that. 270 and 6’2” of a person who is blob is different than a someone who has hit the gym. Put it this way, if I can get down to 240, I’ll have a six pack.
Good luck with that goal, hoss. Gets harder and harder after 40, as I imagine you are finding out. At 5’10” / 145 it’s a doable project to keep the fat off even in my 70s. Hiking 8 miles or so a day, some biking, general busy labor building and maintaining things, light martial arts, very minor weight work with kettle bells gets it done. I’d hate to have to lift your weights But whatever it takes is worth it to stay healthy - especially with Covid in the battle.

Old 08-20-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Good luck with that goal, hoss. Gets harder and harder after 40, as I imagine you are finding out. At 5’10” / 145 it’s a doable project to keep the fat off even in my 70s. Hiking 8 miles or so a day, some biking, general busy labor building and maintaining things, light martial arts, very minor weight work with kettle bells gets it done. I’d hate to have to lift your weights But whatever it takes is worth it to stay healthy - especially with Covid in the battle.
I’m shedding weight easily. I’ve always been an athlete. Cut out the crap and just work out. Rather than hitting heavy weight, lighter weight and more reps till I puke. Speed is key. Cut out the carbs except for some room for beer. Lol. The lady and I like to have some here and there on date night. I might slip in a martini. The heart crap is what gets us in the blood line. I did a whole work up and calcium check. My bad cholesterol was a little high. The doc put me on a cholesterol pill and 80mg of aspirin. I scored 38 on the calcium scan. Ran the treadmill and took me 11 minutes to get up to 164 beats per minute. Cancer doesn’t run in our family and as long as you get past the heart crap, we live well into our 90’s. God willing.

Sadly dementia runs bad in my wife’s family.

Last edited by Nyfinestbxtf; 08-20-2021 at 03:45 PM..

Old 08-20-2021, 03:46 PM

I look forward to many years of back and forths.

Old 08-22-2021, 01:50 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
As of today, 392 people in the hospital in Hawaii due to Covid. All but 50 are unvaccinated or 87%

One does not need to take an advanced statistics class to see the effectiveness of the vaccine.

Old 08-23-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
As of today, 392 people in the hospital in Hawaii due to Covid. All but 50 are unvaccinated or 87%

One does not need to take an advanced statistics class to see the effectiveness of the vaccine.
Are all these people hospitalized or just in the hospital and are all of them there for Covid or for something else, but tested positive for Covid? Anyway, yes, I agree people should get the Covid shot for it is very effective against Covid hospitalization and death.

Old 08-23-2021, 03:00 PM

10,567 posts, read 7,767,498 times
Quote:

https://www.sfgate.com/hawaii/articl...s-16401714.php

...“We are on fire,” said Dr. Libby Char, the state health director, on Aug. 13, when Hawaii reported 1,167 cases, its highest ever single-day tally of new cases. At the same press conference, Gov. David Ige said only 1% to 2% of current cases involve visitors.

Most travel-related cases — some 10% to 12% overall — stem from residents who return from the mainland, Ige noted. Case counts have remained high since then, with the most active clusters tied to correctional facilities, schools, restaurant staff, other worksites and social gatherings, according to the state’s biweekly cluster report. On Aug. 15, Lt. Gov. Josh Green, an emergency room doctor, said the state’s hospital ICU beds were at or near capacity, and noted that more than 90% of patients were unvaccinated..."

Old 08-23-2021, 03:03 PM

10,567 posts, read 7,767,498 times
Quote:
You are definitely obese - you have a BMI of nearly 35. Obesity starts at 30 (overweight starts at 25)...

Weight: 270 pounds...
LOL. Even a young, professional football player in top notch condition would be pushing at the boundary of obesity with these numbers.

Old 08-29-2021, 04:27 PM

30,641 posts, read 18,242,637 times
Honolulu is poised to announce a vaccine passport tomorrow:

Quote:
Honolulu bars, restaurants and gyms could soon be required to ask customers for proof of vaccination.

Mayor Rick Blangiardi is expected to announce more details on Monday, Aug. 30.
https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/co...ders-weigh-in/

If true, I'd expect the other islands to follow suit in due course, especially as there doesn't seem to be political appetite for another shutdown.

I'm vaccinated but not a fan of passports for various reasons, but I'll take it if it means I'll get to execute my Oahu vacation as planned starting next weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii