Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 07:55 PM

8 posts, read 30,051 times

Advertisements

aloha, so nice to hear that there is locals from hawaii living in florida, is there anyone who lives near Daytona are? I live in Edgewater, about 15 minutes from Daytona Beach......k, aloha, and hope to hear from some locals.
Mahalo..........kauaiwahine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanirican808 View Post
I am just wondering if there are any others from hawaii trying to escape the high cost of paradise? I did i moved to florida. If anyone you know is thinking of moving tell them think about florida. at least here you can evacuate to somewhere.and there is beaches. I mean c'mon in Hawaii we have to work so much we hardly go to the beach. The Hawaiian islands are one of the most isolated groups on this planet. Can you imagine the earthquakes in hawaii and trying to evacuate? where would we go? Or a major Tsunami? There is just no more room?
Over one million people live on oahu i haven't checked but it's closer to 2 million. I am native from oahu and so is my family our family is half hawaiian and the other half came in the migrant days. 1800's. I really miss my home and am homesick but i just couldn't afford to live there anymore. If you want to move there go checkout the honolulu advertiser.com so you can read and see how it is. the rents, homes for sale. man i love my home but now i guess if us islanders in florida can get enough people to want the goods we could have hawaiian sun shipped here, eh maybe even start an L&L or loco moco. Like they did in Vegas. Don't move there please!
That is what i miss the most. THE FOOD! I know mainlanders don't really understand or even like or plate lunch food. You know they laughed when i asked for a portuguesse platter at mcdonalds.
But for all you locals out there florida feels like hawaii because there is so many people here from so many other places. I just had to learn to drive crazier!! And not be friendly! to many da kine sexual predators you know.
So when tutu comes i gotta tell her no talk to everybody. (you know it's da portuguesse side) lol ! all of us islanders know about that joke
Anyway i miss home a lot. so sorry i blogged so long.
If anyone has questions about hawaii ask me
Or if you locals want to move I'll give you the truth about this place
Kay den
mahalos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipogirl View Post
My family relocated her to FL a couple years ago and I miss Hawaii soo badly. I want to get a Hawaiian group together especially to celebrate Kam Day and show these Haoleis how to really Pa'ina!! ha! I'm so homesick it's not funny!!
Ipo....i live in Edgewater amd I thought of starting a hawaiian group, too. Where you located? Let me know, k, aloha.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:00 PM

Default aloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipogirl View Post
My family relocated her to FL a couple years ago and I miss Hawaii soo badly. I want to get a Hawaiian group together especially to celebrate Kam Day and show these Haoleis how to really Pa'ina!! ha! I'm so homesick it's not funny!!

Ipogirl, wea you stay in Florida? I live in Edgewater, just south of Daytona Beach.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:02 PM

Default Aloha

Ipogirl,
Where you stay in Florida? I live in Edgewater, just south of Daytona Beach, let me know, k den, aloha.

Missing home, kauaiwahine!

Old 04-25-2007, 09:10 PM

8 posts, read 138,978 times
Default Florida

Well...there will be more Katrina events all along the coasts
of the Atlantic and Gulf so be prepared for massive traffic
jams and scarce gasoline on the trip north (as that's the
only way you can go). I was there for the '04 and '05
seasons and it was a real frightening mess. Couldn't wait
to get back home to the relative safety of the volcano
on which I live.

Of all the 50 states, Florida is at the top of that list of
states that is most vulnerable to natural disasters. You
would think that California would be! Not so! Hawai'i is
41st on that list. A rather large difference.

Plus the cost of storm insurance in Florida is skyrocketing.
One friend of mine in west Bradenton had a premium of
$1.300 in '06 and recently got his renewal for $8,200!
EIGHT hurricanes have made landfall in a period of just
20 months. And it doesn't make any difference where
you live in Florida as to where a storm makes landfall.
Florida was in the news like mad during those two years
and there will be more years like it. There are already
hundreds of thousands of 'For Sale' signs posted all around
that state. And most isn't selling even at 'bargain' prices.
I think people have finally wised up.

And some developers are still knocking down trees and
paving over more watershed land to build more when those
that are already in existence can't be sold! It is a very
ignorant, or stupid, place. Too bad too as not so long
ago, before the coastal areas got paved over, it was nice
and there were virtually no water problems. Now, in many
places, you can't even wash your car! And then they've
just about pumped the Everglades dry with the increased
population and what happens? It catches fire! It is
burning right now as I write this.

Anyone who is planning to buy anything in FL should do
a bit of research or, better yet, go down there and rent
something for a couple of years and see what it is like
for yourself. The periods when there is a hurricane 'working'
out in the Atlantic or the Caribbean or the Gulf and the
fact that these storms are fickle, often give rise to periods
of anxiety that can run for days and days. It is a very
educational experience for those who've never gone
through such a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanirican808 View Post
I am just wondering if there are any others from hawaii trying to escape the high cost of paradise? I did i moved to florida. If anyone you know is thinking of moving tell them think about florida. at least here you can evacuate to somewhere.and there is beaches. I mean c'mon in Hawaii we have to work so much we hardly go to the beach. The Hawaiian islands are one of the most isolated groups on this planet. Can you imagine the earthquakes in hawaii and trying to evacuate? where would we go? Or a major Tsunami? There is just no more room?
Over one million people live on oahu i haven't checked but it's closer to 2 million. I am native from oahu and so is my family our family is half hawaiian and the other half came in the migrant days. 1800's. I really miss my home and am homesick but i just couldn't afford to live there anymore. If you want to move there go checkout the honolulu advertiser.com so you can read and see how it is. the rents, homes for sale. man i love my home but now i guess if us islanders in florida can get enough people to want the goods we could have hawaiian sun shipped here, eh maybe even start an L&L or loco moco. Like they did in Vegas. Don't move there please!
That is what i miss the most. THE FOOD! I know mainlanders don't really understand or even like or plate lunch food. You know they laughed when i asked for a portuguesse platter at mcdonalds.
But for all you locals out there florida feels like hawaii because there is so many people here from so many other places. I just had to learn to drive crazier!! And not be friendly! to many da kine sexual predators you know.
So when tutu comes i gotta tell her no talk to everybody. (you know it's da portuguesse side) lol ! all of us islanders know about that joke
Anyway i miss home a lot. so sorry i blogged so long.
If anyone has questions about hawaii ask me
Or if you locals want to move I'll give you the truth about this place
Kay den
mahalos

Old 05-02-2007, 12:22 AM

14 posts, read 44,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaiwahine View Post
Ipogirl,
Where you stay in Florida? I live in Edgewater, just south of Daytona Beach, let me know, k den, aloha.

Missing home, kauaiwahine!
eh, kauaiwahine - I'm shoa Ipogirl wen appreciate you good efforts wid da translation!!

Seriously, though, what part of Kaua'i are you from? My family is originally from Kekaha, and they've been there since 1890.

It must be a nice feeling to run into some islanders in Florida - dats a LONG way from da island! When I lived in Miami Lakes in in the mid-90s, the only other Japanese guy I knew was from Hawai'i!

Old 05-04-2007, 08:10 PM

5 posts, read 40,548 times
Default Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERRIE View Post
WOULD LOVE TO HEAR ABOUT FLORIDA!! WE'RE GETTING READY TO ESCAPE THE MADNESS ON OAHU TOO..WE'RE ALSO THINKING OF TX..IT'S NICE TO HEAR YOUR STORY AS THE WORDS COULD HAVE COME STRAIGHT FROM MY MOUTH!!
My family and I are also leaving Oahu due to the excessive paradise tax imposed on everything. I grew up with a large back yard and I want my two kids to experience that and other things. So we are moving out of our 1 bedroom 1 bath apartment and heading to Austin, Texas. For the price of a closet in Honolulu you can get a 4 bedroom house. Enough room for tutu, cousins, aunties, and the rest of the family to come visit...and hopefully stay.

So far all of the job offers I have had have been rescinded because they need people ASAP. They all say the same thing, call us a week before you get here. The jobs are there, the cost of living is low, public education is excellent, and we can drive cross country in the summers.

Don't get me wrong, Hawaii is the most beautiful place on earth, but I have discovered that beauty is only skin deep and there are a lot more opportunities out there. Besides, you can ALWAYS come back home.

Goodluck on your move! Do as much research on-line as you can. I found this site to be a great source to tap into the local mind-frame...well, there kine local.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:51 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,653,959 times
If you enjoy anykind of Asian food you better watch where you move in Fla. With the exception of parts of Ft Lauderdale you are in for a rude awakening here.

I moved FROM the east coast to Asia, then back after r.e. prices went nuts ( arghh ). Moved to the SW coast of Fla and let me tell ya, it's almost as though we moved to some place in Ohio. Not to say anything negative about Ohio but man..........

Be advised

On the other hand, we were in NYC a couple weeks ago and thought we died and went to heaven ( from a gastronomic standpoint )

Last edited by MrTudo; 05-06-2007 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-09-2007, 03:22 PM

I from Kekaha, you stay in florida, too? If so, wea U stay. Hard to find locals ova hea, i got one friend, born and shortly raised in nanakule, haole boy, he live down the road from me, so , its nice to have someone to talk all local kine, and also have a friend in Melbourne. she from kekaha, too.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:32 PM

Howzit Lonestar,
I have been living in florida since '99, but live in michigan before here for 8 years. Florida has LOTs of homes for sale, its pittiful. We bought a house little ove 2 years now, I don't think you wanna bring your family to this state, will all that is happening, sink holes, hurricanes, drought, it get very hot, gas prices are rising, property taxes are crazy. Eventually we are going to put our home up for sale, but at this time, we can't cause the selling market is low, I think you are making the right choice of going to texas. Good luck and be safe, aloha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii