Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 6,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee314 View Post
yeah i am homesick myself...been in Orlando, FL for over a week after leaving HI. i miss the food!!!!!!!!!!!! i can't find any furikake around in the grocery stores. i miss the plate lunch, too! squid luau and all that good stuff. ppl drive crazy around hea....where's the aloha spirit?
Hey, I'm in Orlando too and dying for a good plate lunch! Anyway, you can get furikake, mochi and ice cream, NOH packets, Aloha Maid juice, and lots of other ono food at this huge asian supermarket in the Vietnamese district. I'm pretty sure the address is 2100 E. Colonial Drive. Orlando, FL. There's a restaurant that's being built called Ono Lu'au on OBT, I hope it's real and not a trick like Kahuna Grill. Can't wait!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 01:26 PM

11 posts, read 83,400 times
Default Fl. Hawaiian Restaurant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cha-3 View Post
I used to live in Hawaii I was a mechanic for mid pacific air but when they went bankrupt I was forced back to the mainland
I really loved the islands and I am always looking for reasons to go back as it is the most beautiful place on earth but I cannot ignore the high prices crime and drug problems and the way I was treated by (some) just because I am white
I now live in south Florida and I welcome ALL Hawaiians and I love the idea of a little Hawaii here in Florida you know the TRUE aloha sprit and I would be glad to help with any local info you may need to help.
I think you could make a fortune here if someone would open a Hawaiian restaurant
ALOHA AND WELCOME TO FLORIDA
OK FINE - whoever opens that restaurant be SURE to email me - I'll provide the Hawaiian music and hula gals! I've got all da good stuff - even Hawaiian Karaoke and da Kamaka ukulele bruddah. We talk story soon.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:43 PM

Heahea Palekaiko - (Welcome to Paradise) - This goes out to Justlooking2 who wonders why the Hawaiians should be allowed to make Florida a "little Hawaii" - First, read the book HAWAII and your eyes will be opened!
Second, who better to fill in the incredible gap of homeowners trying to sell out and get away from the ludicrous Florida taxes and insurance (IF you can even find a company who will WRITE a policy). At least for $400,000 a Hawaiian could buy a house in Fl. that will provide walking around room inside it with a yard he or she might actually be able to have a luau in without freezing their grass skirts off! Heahea Palekaiko - Mahalo

Old 05-22-2007, 01:58 PM

Default Spelling Not Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cha-3 View Post
I used to work 3rd shift at da air port and we would eat at po po's it was great I miss getting served papaya with my meal I also miss stories the fiery realm of Pele, Hawaiian goddess and minihuni's and the bad luck that follows one that takes a rock from da big island
I tryed to fit in as a local kamainha <--spelling wrong
but sadly I was just a local haole

Aloha Haole - LOL
You got kama 'aina perfect except for the h - now ya know.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:32 PM

3 posts, read 16,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
If you enjoy anykind of Asian food you better watch where you move in Fla.
I am figuring this out now. o_O

I miss sushi terribly. I've tried a few places here and there (& I've had to travel to get to them... it's weird not having a sushi bar just down the street) but I haven't quite found one that I love yet.

I also stopped at a Japanese restaurant in a mall to order tempura chicken... & received a plate of chicken that had been 'beer-battered' & deep fried... quite similarly to those frozen fish sticks you can buy. yuck. Another restaurant wanted to charge $12 for a chicken katsu plate.

Mom sent me a box of Punaluu sweet bread and aloha shoyu last week. I was so happy! haha. I wish she could send me a plate lunch, though. There's no telling what I would do for some laulau or chicken long rice right now.

Anyway~ Anyone in the Tampa area? I am in Spring Hill right now... I have yet to meet a fellow local here.

Take Care Everyone!

Old 05-27-2007, 10:21 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,941,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylama View Post
I miss sushi terribly. I've tried a few places here and there (& I've had to travel to get to them... it's weird not having a sushi bar just down the street) but I haven't quite found one that I love yet.

I also stopped at a Japanese restaurant in a mall to order tempura chicken... & received a plate of chicken that had been 'beer-battered' & deep fried... quite similarly to those frozen fish sticks you can buy. yuck. Another restaurant wanted to charge $12 for a chicken katsu plate.

Take Care Everyone!
I put "Tampa Plate Lunch" in Google and found these:

Weekend: How Hawaiians say 'barbecue'

and:

BEST MAC SALAD AND SPAM SUSHI
Ly-Ly's Hawaiian BBQ, 2510 McMullen-Booth Road, Clearwater; (727) 712-1988.

Where else but Hawaii could heartland classics meet up with tempura and fried rice and make for an unashamed plate lunch beloved of steam tables and breakfasty joints across the islands. Now imported to Tampa Bay as the strangest and most familiar of barbecues.

Good hunting!

Hank

Old 06-08-2007, 04:37 PM

8 posts, read 30,049 times
Default local grinds....

Quote:
Originally Posted by leilani11 View Post
Hey, I'm in Orlando too and dying for a good plate lunch! Anyway, you can get furikake, mochi and ice cream, NOH packets, Aloha Maid juice, and lots of other ono food at this huge asian supermarket in the Vietnamese district. I'm pretty sure the address is 2100 E. Colonial Drive. Orlando, FL. There's a restaurant that's being built called Ono Lu'au on OBT, I hope it's real and not a trick like Kahuna Grill. Can't wait!
Hoi sistah, try looking at some of the oriental stores.....i live in Edgewater, just south of Daytona and daytona has a oriental store and thats where i buy my kim chee, furikake, sea weed for my musubi's (spam), mochi, etc...but no mo' aloha shoyu, that sucks....so anyway, if you eve dis side, daytona, new smyrna, edgewater, port orange area, let me know...also, if any hawaiians out dea in da area, jus' respond to this quote. K, aloha, no get all pupule yeah!

Old 06-08-2007, 06:45 PM

216 posts, read 1,185,268 times
Default www.alohashoyu.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaiwahine View Post
Hoi sistah, try looking at some of the oriental stores.....i live in Edgewater, just south of Daytona and daytona has a oriental store and thats where i buy my kim chee, furikake, sea weed for my musubi's (spam), mochi, etc...but no mo' aloha shoyu, that sucks....so anyway, if you eve dis side, daytona, new smyrna, edgewater, port orange area, let me know...also, if any hawaiians out dea in da area, jus' respond to this quote. K, aloha, no get all pupule yeah!
get aloha shoyu at Aloha Shoyu Soy Sauce order em up online!

Old 06-09-2007, 12:15 AM

32 posts, read 303,953 times
Lonestarbound, I'm currently in Austin,TX and would trade place with ya anyday.
Let me know what you want to know about Austin if you would tell me everything about Hawaii.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:20 AM

1 posts, read 5,914 times
Wink Hey, I live in Florida

Howzit...I live in Jacksonville with my family. We moved here in 1998 and we try to go home as much as possible. I've only met a couple of people from Hawaii here. It would be nice to hang out and talk stories with yall or anyone from Hawaii. I've been living here too long the south is starting to effect my speech. Hollah back!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii