Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 07:28 AM

4 posts, read 9,121 times

Advertisements

howzit kauaiwahine

My family and I relocated from Kauai to Sebastian Florida on June 2008. It's okay over here, but i can't handle the thunderstorms! Needless to say I miss the food and ohana over there. But, we moved because the cost of living was way too much for us. Things are cheaper over here that is for sure, but still no place like home yea?I have'nt been able to hook up with any locals over here, only haoles. But people are nice here

aloha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 09:25 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,941,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hibiscus381969 View Post
howzit kauaiwahine

My family and I relocated from Kauai to Sebastian Florida on June 2008. I have'nt been able to hook up with any locals over here, only haoles. But people are nice here

aloha
There were some posts here a while back about some Hawaii transplants in Florida. Maybe someone can find them for you.

Hank

Old 07-18-2008, 10:16 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,435,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestarbound View Post
My family and I are also leaving Oahu due to the excessive paradise tax imposed on everything. I grew up with a large back yard and I want my two kids to experience that and other things. So we are moving out of our 1 bedroom 1 bath apartment and heading to Austin, Texas. For the price of a closet in Honolulu you can get a 4 bedroom house. Enough room for tutu, cousins, aunties, and the rest of the family to come visit...and hopefully stay.

So far all of the job offers I have had have been rescinded because they need people ASAP. They all say the same thing, call us a week before you get here. The jobs are there, the cost of living is low, public education is excellent, and we can drive cross country in the summers.

Don't get me wrong, Hawaii is the most beautiful place on earth, but I have discovered that beauty is only skin deep and there are a lot more opportunities out there. Besides, you can ALWAYS come back home.

Goodluck on your move! Do as much research on-line as you can. I found this site to be a great source to tap into the local mind-frame...well, there kine local.
so how did you make out?

Old 07-30-2008, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hibiscus381969 View Post
howzit kauaiwahine

My family and I relocated from Kauai to Sebastian Florida on June 2008. It's okay over here, but i can't handle the thunderstorms! Needless to say I miss the food and ohana over there. But, we moved because the cost of living was way too much for us. Things are cheaper over here that is for sure, but still no place like home yea?I have'nt been able to hook up with any locals over here, only haoles. But people are nice here

aloha
Hi! I am from Oahu but I was living in Az/Co for the last 12 years and then moved to Florida in 2007. I am living in Melbourne, FL; not far from Sebastian. My husband and I fish at Sebastian from time to time. I have not met any others from Hawaii either. Other than the fishing, I really don't like FL that much. I like the western states much better but of course, there's no where like home!
I saw in earlier posts that there's a Hawaiian restaurant in Orlando. Has anyone tried it? Is it real?

Old 07-31-2008, 09:00 AM

3 posts, read 9,550 times
If florida had the terrain as Hawai'i did, I move there in a heart beat.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:21 AM

4 posts, read 9,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi77 View Post
Hi! I am from Oahu but I was living in Az/Co for the last 12 years and then moved to Florida in 2007. I am living in Melbourne, FL; not far from Sebastian. My husband and I fish at Sebastian from time to time. I have not met any others from Hawaii either. Other than the fishing, I really don't like FL that much. I like the western states much better but of course, there's no where like home!
I saw in earlier posts that there's a Hawaiian restaurant in Orlando. Has anyone tried it? Is it real?
Aloha! I go to Melbourne alot. I did read that in Orlando their are local grinds and hula halau's. My daughter used to be in a halau on kauai, so I would like for her to participate in the dance and my son as well.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,033 times
yeah, all this talk about hawaiian food makes me hungary !!!!

On that note, anybody think about opening a L & L in your city ?
I'd like to, only need financial backers . . . any takers ?

Old 01-15-2011, 08:05 PM

2 posts, read 7,446 times
Default I'm sorry but, you are an idiot

I was talked into coming to Florida from Hawaii and I have never been so sorry in my life. Besides the mild blowing heat, humidity, world class electric storms and hurricanes, they have here the most unfriendly snobs. Yes, the cost of living is high, but the economy here is not well either. Hawaii was the best decision I ever made and the worst, was coming here. If you think life here is better than Hawaii, then you didn't belong there in the 1st place.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:35 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestarbound View Post
My family and I are also leaving Oahu due to the excessive paradise tax imposed on everything. I grew up with a large back yard and I want my two kids to experience that and other things. So we are moving out of our 1 bedroom 1 bath apartment and heading to Austin, Texas. For the price of a closet in Honolulu you can get a 4 bedroom house. Enough room for tutu, cousins, aunties, and the rest of the family to come visit...and hopefully stay.

So far all of the job offers I have had have been rescinded because they need people ASAP. They all say the same thing, call us a week before you get here. The jobs are there, the cost of living is low, public education is excellent, and we can drive cross country in the summers.
I realize this is an old post I'm responding to, but I was struck by the irony. I moved from Austin to the Big Island and cut my cost of living in half in the process. And I found more job opportunities here in my field than I did in Austin.

My point is, heaven is in the details. Most generalities break down when you dig into specific cases. Don't assume that what worked for someone else will work the same way for you. Do your homework. Dig deep into what really matters for you.

OpenD

Old 03-25-2011, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,817 times
I worked at PACOM and lived on Hickam for 4 years. I tried to transfer from PACOM to Hickam when the Air Force told me it was time to leave, but no luck. The Air Force sent me to Panama City, Florida and I thought, ok it should be close to Hawaii! NO WAY! I retired from the Air Force 1 1/2 years ago and tried to get a job back in Hawaii, no luck, so got a job in Cape Canaveral and live in Titusville. I STILL miss Hawaii after being gone for almost 2 years! I miss plate lunchs, Ko Olina, driving the H3, New Hope Sand Island and their beautiful Halau, the smell of the flowers, the wonderful breeze! If I could get a decent job, I'd move back in a heart beat. I graduated with my masters from Chaminade and made so many great friends. There is nothing like Ohana anywhere in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii