Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 06:28 PM

2 posts, read 6,708 times

Advertisements

I'm so ready to get out of Florida and head over Hawaii anytime soon.
Many times I have been to Puna, and I could kick myself for not making the move any sooner. After living in Ft Lauderdale for about 3 years, this place is starting to creep me out. Property tax is rising like a joke. Insurance went up 200%. It's not as nice as many think it is. People are very unfriendly. Yes, it feels like living in a bad foreign country!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 03:40 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,940,698 times
People are very pretentious and obnoxious in Florida (for what reason? I don't know). Its not the way it used to be when I moved here with my family as a teenager years ago. I think real life experience is the best way to go so don't pack up and leave to come here without visiting first!

Old 06-23-2007, 05:43 AM

8 posts, read 30,058 times
Default Mahalo yeah.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by leilani11 View Post
Hey, I'm in Orlando too and dying for a good plate lunch! Anyway, you can get furikake, mochi and ice cream, NOH packets, Aloha Maid juice, and lots of other ono food at this huge asian supermarket in the Vietnamese district. I'm pretty sure the address is 2100 E. Colonial Drive. Orlando, FL. There's a restaurant that's being built called Ono Lu'au on OBT, I hope it's real and not a trick like Kahuna Grill. Can't wait!
Yep thanks for the info, aloha maid juice, mmmmm, miss them too. So leilani, what island you from? I from Kauai. I wish I could cook, too, make some hawaiian plate lunch....but i not one for cooking. I know you said you live orlando, orlando is big, how far you think you are from Edgewater, Ilive about 15 minutes south of Daytona Beach......I would like to start a hawaiian club or get together, get all the locals together and be ourselves and mingle and talk da kine lidat....lol, so anyway, let me know. This is my email, loriz_86fxr@yahoo.com. k cuz, hope to keep in touch. Aloha......Lori

Old 06-30-2007, 08:49 PM

107 posts, read 432,221 times
Try Health Store Tamari Natural Shoyu

Old 08-24-2007, 06:07 PM

11 posts, read 83,422 times
ALOHA to everyone - my daughter lives in Mililani and has for over 8 years. She started in Kailua then Kaneohe and settled finally in Mililani. I go out as often as I possibly can.... Mahalo. Dennis

Old 08-24-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaiwahine View Post
Yep thanks for the info, aloha maid juice, mmmmm, miss them too. So leilani, what island you from? I from Kauai. I wish I could cook, too, make some hawaiian plate lunch....but i not one for cooking. I know you said you live orlando, orlando is big, how far you think you are from Edgewater, Ilive about 15 minutes south of Daytona Beach......I would like to start a hawaiian club or get together, get all the locals together and be ourselves and mingle and talk da kine lidat....lol, so anyway, let me know. This is my email, loriz_86fxr@yahoo.com. k cuz, hope to keep in touch. Aloha......Lori
Lori - you DO know there is a HUGE Hawaiian element in Orlando area - da hula ting an all dat sistah. Dennis

Old 08-25-2007, 07:43 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,902,601 times
Do you all think you made the right choice for your families? Has it been worth it to live less expensive?

I am just wondering if it's worth living in a smaller house or in a condo instead of a house, for my child and future children, to be raised in the Aloha spirit. From what I have read on here (and I have read A LOT of the posts in the last 3 weeks), the Aloha Spirit is something found NOWHERE else. Where else can one find something like that? There is racism everywhere, but Aloha is only on the "Islands of Aloha".

Does anyone regret the decision, especially since prices and insurance are getting so high in Florida and other areas along the coast?

Old 09-09-2007, 12:41 PM

Unfortunately, the problem is quite complex. First, the Aloha Spirit is not what it USED to be - tourism and out of control living/housing costs have warped it to a degree. When living conditions are crowded (multi-families living in single-family units) and STILL unaffordable then providing a larger home for ONE family at reduced costs in spite of the recent increases here in FL are worth it. The day of the lil grass shack on the beach is gone forever. Time marches on.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:26 PM

2 posts, read 8,989 times
does anyone hav da address for Ono Luau in Orlando? Heard it opened today.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:19 PM

4 posts, read 20,675 times
Default Transplanted Hawaiian

Aloha All
I was born, raised and worked on Oahu for 55 yrs. I thought a lot about moving to the mainland (Las Vegas, San Francisco, Seattle and Sarasotta) if/when the opportunity arrived. Moved to Abilene Texas from Kaneohe. Miss the mountains, the ocean and beauty of Kaneohe but I love the wide open spaces, no traffic and congestion and low costs of living in Abilene. I also like the colder weather and lower humidity when it does get hot (it does hit triple digits). Good thing for central air/heat. This is a "bible belt" region without the proliferation of strip clubs/hostess bars and the people are just fine. There are bad eggs here as there are everywhere else, but I do not get the "stink eye" or "flip-offs" that had become more and more prevalent in Hawaii. Biggest impact: I pay less than 1/2 for my brand new 1900 sq foot home on a 1.5 acre lot than what I charge for rent on my 25 year old 1250 sq foot townhouse. Higher general excise tax but things are 40% cheaper and no State income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii