Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 08:41 PM

8,005 posts, read 4,631,899 times

Advertisements

I was thinking of moving either to Hawaii or Florida from St. Louis, MO. I decided to give Florida a try first. In May 2009 I moved to the Sarasota area. I've never been in Hawaii so I can't really compare it to Sarasota, FL. I will say that Siesta Key Beach here is wonderful. The sand is very white like sugar and never hot to the feet. The sunsets on the Gulf of Mexico are beautiful. There are several keys and beaches in the area. There are some nice waterfront seafood restaurants with an excellent view of the water. Oh and I was surprised to find many tiki bars here! One thing I don't like is the usually heavy traffic on the main North-South thoroughfare known as Tamiami Trail (Hwy 41). All-in-all I'm enjoying my stay in SW Florida but I still hope to give Hawaii a try someday. Possibly in a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 10:07 PM

119 posts, read 376,745 times
Job moved us from Miami to Honolulu 10 months ago. I'd go back to Miami in a heart beat if the job let us choose. I don't mind Oahu, but I prefer South FL and I love love love Miami.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:01 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
You can't compare the 2. I never lived in Hawaii, but I've been there a couple of times. Although I only spent a short time in Hawaii (Oahu, Maui, Kauai, Hawaii) it's an entirely different culture and lifestyle. The bottom line is "do you need to work?" If you need a job, then the best place is where you can buy/rent a home that's affordable, pay all of your bills and be able to enjoy the beach and the sunshine once in a while. The unemployment rate in Hawaii is 6.3%, one of the lowest in the 50 states. (51 are listed, including Washington DC) In Feb 2011 it was #8 out of 51. That same month Florida was ranked #49.

This is a very old thread, but I noticed some recent posts, which is why I just wrote a comment.
Both places are beautiful for retirement. Hawaii is more expensive, but I think it has more to offer.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:40 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
I was thinking of moving either to Hawaii or Florida from St. Louis, MO. I decided to give Florida a try first. In May 2009 I moved to the Sarasota area. I've never been in Hawaii so I can't really compare it to Sarasota, FL. I will say that Siesta Key Beach here is wonderful. The sand is very white like sugar and never hot to the feet. The sunsets on the Gulf of Mexico are beautiful. There are several keys and beaches in the area. There are some nice waterfront seafood restaurants with an excellent view of the water. Oh and I was surprised to find many tiki bars here! One thing I don't like is the usually heavy traffic on the main North-South thoroughfare known as Tamiami Trail (Hwy 41). All-in-all I'm enjoying my stay in SW Florida but I still hope to give Hawaii a try someday. Possibly in a few years.
Tiki Bars? In Florida! Sounds interesting.

Actually, there is another thread:https://www.city-data.com/forum/flori...ke-hawaii.html

It seems to regularly stress that SARASOTA in Florida, would be the most like Hawaii...IF someone were absolutely forced to choose a spot. (Of course they are not similar at all, but it seems to be mentioned most frequently on that thread).

Old 04-25-2012, 05:58 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Florida definitely has some beautiful beaches, but it's FLAT. Also, the weather in Florida tends to get hotter and more humid. We spent a week on Oahu with tradewinds blowing and occasional showers, but it never felt sticky. You can almost NEVER say the same about Florida! The climate in Hawaii (from what I've experienced) blows Florida's away.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Florida definitely has some beautiful beaches, but it's FLAT. Also, the weather in Florida tends to get hotter and more humid. We spent a week on Oahu with tradewinds blowing and occasional showers, but it never felt sticky. You can almost NEVER say the same about Florida! The climate in Hawaii (from what I've experienced) blows Florida's away.
I've never spent summers in Florida. But I have spent a lot of time in Southeast Asia - Indonesia, Philippines, Malaysia, Thailand, etc.

Usually the people that go to Florida, aren't the same people that go to the other side of the world in SE Asia.

However, I've always wondered if they were very compareable.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:25 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've never spent summers in Florida. But I have spent a lot of time in Southeast Asia - Indonesia, Philippines, Malaysia, Thailand, etc.

Usually the people that go to Florida, aren't the same people that go to the other side of the world in SE Asia.

However, I've always wondered if they were very compareable.
As humid as S. Florida can be in the summer - Southeast Asia is definitely another notch up - and on top of that air conditioning isn't as prevalent as S. Florida - so a double whammy.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
As humid as S. Florida can be in the summer - Southeast Asia is definitely another notch up - and on top of that air conditioning isn't as prevalent as S. Florida - so a double whammy.
That's kind of what I always assumed.

Sounds like Florida would have temperatures that I'd be comfortable with. Of course, I'd prefer Hawaii, but both are good. I also like SE Asia weather, quite a bit. In short, it's all good, for me.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:45 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,392,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanirican808 View Post
I am just wondering if there are any others from hawaii trying to escape the high cost of paradise? I did i moved to florida. If anyone you know is thinking of moving tell them think about florida. at least here you can evacuate to somewhere.and there is beaches. I mean c'mon in Hawaii we have to work so much we hardly go to the beach. The Hawaiian islands are one of the most isolated groups on this planet. Can you imagine the earthquakes in hawaii and trying to evacuate? where would we go? Or a major Tsunami? There is just no more room?
Over one million people live on oahu i haven't checked but it's closer to 2 million. I am native from oahu and so is my family our family is half hawaiian and the other half came in the migrant days. 1800's. I really miss my home and am homesick but i just couldn't afford to live there anymore. If you want to move there go checkout the honolulu advertiser.com so you can read and see how it is. the rents, homes for sale. man i love my home but now i guess if us islanders in florida can get enough people to want the goods we could have hawaiian sun shipped here, eh maybe even start an L&L or loco moco. Like they did in Vegas. Don't move there please!
That is what i miss the most. THE FOOD! I know mainlanders don't really understand or even like or plate lunch food. You know they laughed when i asked for a portuguesse platter at mcdonalds.
But for all you locals out there florida feels like hawaii because there is so many people here from so many other places. I just had to learn to drive crazier!! And not be friendly! to many da kine sexual predators you know.
So when tutu comes i gotta tell her no talk to everybody. (you know it's da portuguesse side) lol ! all of us islanders know about that joke
Anyway i miss home a lot. so sorry i blogged so long.
If anyone has questions about hawaii ask me
Or if you locals want to move I'll give you the truth about this place
Kay den
mahalos
I didn't realize Florida was a secret.

Having lived both places, Florida in no way resembles Hawaii.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:10 PM

42 posts, read 145,583 times
There are places like Longboat Key that remind me of Maui. Condo's sit far back and the golf courses in front. I've lived both places and it is true, Florida is not like Hawaii BUT if you can't afford Hawaii, then Florida is the next best thing.

I miss Hawaii every day of my life but at least I see white sand beaches, plumeria, hibiscus, great sunsets but in Florida I have $60 electric bills in the winter and $120 in the summer for a 4,000 sq ft home. In Hawaii, my little 1,000 sq ft condo ran me $300 a month. So in some cases, Florida is pretty good. Also we have no state or city taxes here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii