Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 03:41 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times

Advertisements

I love salt! Hubby now has kidney issues, so we NEVER add salt to anything anymore...it sucks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 03:54 PM

781 posts, read 736,362 times
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/15/he...r=1&ref=health

Old 05-19-2015, 11:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailSymbolizes View Post
I am in my late 70s, eat as much salt as I want and I have absolutely no problems it appears. I just saw you primary care doctor a week ago, had all my blood work, everything including blood pressure is fine. I think we all spend too much time worrying about what this or that might do to us or for us. For those who do worry about salt intake, and don't miss the salt shaker, keep watching how much you use and follow your feelings. For those of us who are not concerned let us continue to do what we have been doing for years. And if your doctor suggests you cut back, ask him/her why? Then try and follow thier recommendation. But even doctors have very mixed opinion of what is good and not good for us, whether it is sodium, alcohol, fats, meat or even seafood and veggies.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:27 PM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I don't put salt on anything and have never have done it.

Nine out of 10 Americans eat too much salt every day, and many of them get more than twice the recommended daily amount, according to a new report from the CDC.

Researchers surveyed nearly 5,000 U.S. adults and found that they consumed a daily average of almost 3,500 milligrams of sodium. Current dietary guidelines say that Americans should get less than 2,300 milligrams of sodium each day.

Study: Americans eat too much salt – Paging Dr. Gupta - CNN.com Blogs
ALL processed food contains a lot of salt, even thise low salt commerical products. The way to avoid this is to buy fresh, and of course, cook from scratch where YOU can control the amount of salt.

I will say this though. Listen to your own body and it's cravings. I have never been a big salt fan, but moving to a hot humid climate like South Florida, I find myself craving more salt because I sweat a lot. Again, however, if you buy fresh and cook yourself, you can control the amount of salt you use.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:37 PM

766 posts, read 1,394,353 times
I'm a woman, and a high salt intake does a number on me, when it comes to WATER RETENTION... which then does a number on my arthriis pain index. Learned that one 20yrs ago. Hence... I gave up on chips with dip a long time ago.

The purpose of salt is to ENHANCE food flavors. So when I invite somebody to my home, for my home cooked meals.... let me tell you.... if the 1st thing you do is.... grab the salt shaker WITHOUT TASTING MY FOOD???? I will scold you!

How do you know my cooking needs more flavor? if you haven't TASTED IT YET????

Old 05-20-2015, 09:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure View Post
I'm a woman, and a high salt intake does a number on me, when it comes to WATER RETENTION... which then does a number on my arthriis pain index. Learned that one 20yrs ago. Hence... I gave up on chips with dip a long time ago.

The purpose of salt is to ENHANCE food flavors. So when I invite somebody to my home, for my home cooked meals.... let me tell you.... if the 1st thing you do is.... grab the salt shaker WITHOUT TASTING MY FOOD???? I will scold you!

How do you know my cooking needs more flavor? if you haven't TASTED IT YET????
Yes, there are times when we do need to watch sodium intake, especially when we suffer fruo fluid retention, and yes, I agree people need to taste before salting, but I also believe we all should put salt and pepper on the tables for our guests. Each of us has his/her own taste buds and some like salt, as well as other spices more than someone else. It isn't up to us to decide what others can eat.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:47 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Hey good news for everyone -- IT DOESN'T MATTER!

People are morons for being worried about salt and that study is useless beyond belief. They can continue their idiotic war on salt but without salt, we'd all be dead. It's necessary for the body and not harmful in normal doses, either. Their recommendations are ludicrous and nobody is going to be below those. Even when I was on a perfect weight loss diet, I would still have been over the sodium recommendations by those bird-brained morons. Maybe if they spent less time sniffing glue and more time doing ACTUAL RESEARCH they'd stop wasting all of our time and money.

This is all I have to say about salt: https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...e-war-on-salt/

As the article says, it's time to end the war on salt. Now please pass the salt shaker.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:34 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
Question: If you get a blood test "CBC" I think. It will say if your Sodium is in the normal range. Or too low. Or too high.

So if it says your Sodium level is in the normal range, I should think that would mean you are NOT eating too much salt?

If that is the case, why do nutritionists and doctors tell people to reduce their salt intake WITHOUT ever looking at a blood test?

Old 05-21-2015, 09:38 AM

2,600 posts, read 3,683,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Question: If you get a blood test "CBC" I think. It will say if your Sodium is in the normal range. Or too low. Or too high.

So if it says your Sodium level is in the normal range, I should think that would mean you are NOT eating too much salt?

If that is the case, why do nutritionists and doctors tell people to reduce their salt intake WITHOUT ever looking at a blood test?
It's the CMP (complete metabolic panel).

CBC is your blood cell count.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:46 AM

2,600 posts, read 3,683,923 times
Too much sodium also contributes to osteoporosis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness