Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 07:17 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times

Advertisements

I am not liking aging. I am 53 and suddenly everything seems to be going wrong. I feel like I am in the same shape as my dad who is 86.

I was athletic, but I cannot do much of anything to exercise now. My knees hurt a lot all the time - running is out. My lower back is terrible I cannot bend over and pick anything up off the ground, sometimes I cannot tie my shoes and I have to have my wife tie them for me. At random times I feel like I am being stabbed int he back and the pain radiates down into my hip and leg. It is severe. Sometimes it makes me cry out in pain, much to my embarrassment. I apparently have planar facietis (or whatever). If I do not put pad thingies in my shoes, then after sitting for a while my heels/feet hurt so much I can barely walk. My hip hurts often maybe all the time, but I think that is probably because of my back. I have to sleep on my back with a pillow under my upper legs or my back hurts so much in the morning I cannot get out of bed without Advil. This is not a comfortable way to sleep. However I do not sleep well anyway. I have not slept well in more than 20 years.

My back has been a problem for decades, but not like this. It wodl just go out once in a while and i would evntually be able to exercise again and as long as I stayed strong, it would not be a problem. My knees have hurt for a while too (maybe ten years), but it was always when I got weak, and by exercising a lot I seemed ot build up the muscle to wear there was no longer a problem.

Now I cannot exercise much. If I do weights, I cannot get up off the bench by the second set. Leg workouts are out of the question. I do long walks it hurts a little, but it is bearable. I can do some bicycle riding without pain. Running is impossible. I also climb a lot of stairs due to where I park for work - lots of pain there, but not unbearable. Most of my exercise now is yard work. However I can only pick one or two things up then I need someone to hand them to me. As long as it is at waist level I can carry 150 pounds or so with no trouble, but I could not even think about picking that up off the ground. I can use a rake or hoe to pick up some items as long as I do not bend over to pick them up. If I sit in the ground, I need a person or a walking stick to get back up. If I sit in a chair, I need a hard seat/back and arm rests to push myself out of the chair. I cannot get out of those soft camping chairs without my walking stick. I also throw axes, knives and atlatl and that actually provides some exercise/strengthening. Problem is I need someone to pick them up for me if I miss.

It seems like I should not have this much trouble already. However maybe it is normal. One Dr. said it is just aging and that is how it is.

It is normal to have everything break down all at once like this? Is there anything that can be done about it? I have been to various doctors who all give me different diagnosis and different suggestions. Knee replacement, removal of torn cartilage, physical therapy, just grit your teeth and bear it, you are getting old. . . . Chiropractor gives me some temporary relief form the back pain, but it lasts for a day at best.

One Dr. said I should have surgery on my back, another said they will cut through the muscles and do more damage than good in all likelihood and I will never recover. Family Dr. said go get cartilage surgery for m knees, but he spent about 45 seconds diagnosing my issues. My brother had knee surgery and it made him worse. On the other hand, my mother had both knees placed and in six months she was able to walk without a walker. I have not been able to try physical therapy because they are never open except when I am at work.

They are suggesting these things without really doing a lot of testing or anything. I have had some X-rays that showed nothing, but the insurance company will not approve an MRI - at least so far. I have no idea whether an MRI will really tell them anything or not.

So I am curious about other people's experiences. Did others have this happen? At what age? Is this something that I should just expect from aging and live with? What helps? What kind of dr.s did you find provided the best advice?

I have always prided myself on being the hardest worker. I have a desk job, but I do a lot of community service/charity work and work on the yard/house. However now I cannot do a lot now except manage/organize. I feel like a chump walking around telling younger people what I need them to do and then standing there watching them sweat. I really want to be strong again. Is there any way to get there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 08:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
2 different opinions on your back: sounds like you need a third one. OUr daughter, a few years older than you, just had a fusion and removal of bone spurs 2 weeks ago. She is doing fine. Everyone ages at a differ pace and just because your back is giving you problems, plus a few other issues isn't reason to think your life is over for heavens sake.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:36 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Sounds like you have a problem disk in your lower back. I had mine removed and it was wonderful! See a neurologist, they have different techniques than orthopedic surgeons.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:32 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,557,556 times
OP,

About 20+ years ago I had real issues with my back and my left side of my body and could barely move. I finally went to a chiropractor and it helped. However, he said I could spend money coming to him once a week or get in a pool twice a week and do exercises in the water to keep me loosened up. My choice. I joined a local YMCA and took a water aerobics class for the elderly and people with arthritis. It helped enough for me to be able to exercise on dry land within 6 months.

Now, retired and 68 I need to do strength training and I go to a gym 3 times a week. I specifically told my trainer how quickly my left side of my torso will give me issues when I am exercising. He designed specific stretching exercises to address the problem. We spent the first 4 half hour sessions working on nothing but proper stretching. It made all the difference in the world.

I have two friends who are now working with my trainer and the stretching exercises they do are unique to their medical issues. (You really need to find an experienced trainer who works with older adults with medical issues - and not just anybody who calls himself a personal trainer.)

I know it is hard to find time when you are working fulltime, but, if you have a YMCA near you ask about a water aerobics class for seniors and arthritis sufferers. If they don't have one during non working hours ask if any of the instructors do private or semi private instruction during evening hours. Maybe you and your spouse could go together. The first week you will be exhausted and your spouse can do the drive home. By the end of the second week you should notice more energy and less pain. Only after being able to comfortably exercise in the pool should you consider exercises on land.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:41 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
You're 53. Nobody told you that your body wears out? Age takes a toll. I'm 63 so I know a few things. Unless you're real unusual, I'd say a lot of the stuff your doing is too much for the body you have. It may even be that the weight lifting has made your back and joints worse than if you did not exercise at all. If I were you, I wouldn't lift much past 50 lbs.

I'd cut out the running. I ran cross country in HS, but I gave up running about 10 years ago. Too hard on back, knees and hips.

Forget the weights. What's the point?
Cycling is good exercise. I still do that and most people should be able to in old age. As the saying goes, you're writing checks your body can't cash. Try to treat your body like you want it to last awhile, because it really is the only one you've got.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:55 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
I just turned 78 and worked out all my life and lived with a lower back issue now going on 60 yrs, today it's called dengerative disc disease DDD. I stretch, see a chiro for some gentle work, see a D.O. for bodywork and keep moving. I would NEVER do a back surgery, this is me. I can bend and bend every day.

Deal with a messy botched hip replacement so another surgery freaks me out just thinking about that.

Take a lot of joint supplemenets and keep moving as best I can.

My first trip to a knee doc was 22 yrs ago and it doesn't reverse.

Others have given good advice. I have a little recumbent bike in my living room and use it. My gym days are behind me. I was NEVER a runner but a big gym person and a longtime dancer. Keep moving and surgery is not always a good answer. Maybe for some it works but for many it does not. I have heard too many horror stories about one back surgery leading to another and another etc etc. I've read where some end up with 5-9 back surgeries. These are fusions and laminectomies. I talked my 72 yr old brother out of doing a back surgery over a year ago.

Again, some get help. I don't close that option. Not for me.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-19-2016 at 11:13 AM..

Old 08-19-2016, 11:52 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

It is normal to have everything break down all at once like this? Is there anything that can be done about it?

So I am curious about other people's experiences. Did others have this happen? At what age? Is this something that I should just expect from aging and live with? What helps? What kind of dr.s did you find provided the best advice?

I really want to be strong again. Is there any way to get there?
In my 30s-40s-50s, I had back pain, shoulder pain, and neck pain. All of it went away with time. Doctors found nothing specifically wrong with any of my aching joints, so I had no surgeries for any of it.

Now, in my 60s, I have no joint pain whatsoever. The shoulder pain just gradually went away on its own without any treatment. The back and neck pain went away when I started doing yoga. The back pain returns if I slack off on my yoga.

I'm thinking maybe you could use some gentle type of exercise rather than weights and workouts, just something to help you be more flexible and maintain core strength.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:07 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
To the OP,

NO that doesn't sound normal at your age!

Something's out of whack, alignment, pinched nerve or such. Mary, above posted some great advice, I thought!

DH got rid of sciatica pain (sounds much like yours, pain running down leg) by going to a chiro who taught him the McKenzie Method exercises--after taking a x-ray. Google for more info on McKenzie Method.

Within a week, DH's chronic pain was gone. The chiro did not want him to come back weekly.

When any back issues return (for DH or for me) we both know how to do the simple, easy McKenzie exercises and get rid of the pain quickly.

Some back issues do require surgery, but these exercises seem to address the most common and frequent causes of back pain -- pinched nerve, slipped disc and such.

As for the knees, might be arthritis, could be inflammation from improper diet. You might need more Omega 3's and fewer Omega 6's fatty acids in your diet. Most of us eat way too many foods with Omega 6's and chronic inflammation can result. Google anti-inflammatory diet and see if your diet approaches that.

Are you overweight? Do you have a protruding beer-type belly throwing your back out?
How strong are your core muscles?

All these things could be causing you all that pain.

Good luck! Hope you take some action and investigate some of the good suggestions here from C-Ders.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:12 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Go swimming.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:17 PM

190 posts, read 167,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
You're 53. Nobody told you that your body wears out? Age takes a toll. I'm 63 so I know a few things. Unless you're real unusual, I'd say a lot of the stuff your doing is too much for the body you have. It may even be that the weight lifting has made your back and joints worse than if you did not exercise at all. If I were you, I wouldn't lift much past 50 lbs.

I'd cut out the running. I ran cross country in HS, but I gave up running about 10 years ago. Too hard on back, knees and hips.

Forget the weights. What's the point?
Cycling is good exercise. I still do that and most people should be able to in old age. As the saying goes, you're writing checks your body can't cash. Try to treat your body like you want it to last awhile, because it really is the only one you've got.
Augie has good points, except moderate weight lifting is good for strength and appearance and I'd add yoga/stretching to the routine. Absolutely stop running - it's too hard on the body for most of us. Swimming is also very good if you have access to the pool. Fact of life, we have to change workout routines as we age, especially over 50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness