Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 08:14 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

The shot hurt like heck this year.
Everyone was whining about it.

The only flu positive patients we've had so far (and there have been a ton) were not vaccinated.
Contrast with last year where we had quite a few vaccinated folks fail (mostly old people).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 09:20 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
So far I've been ok since having the shot, but I did have 1 day that I felt horrible and I thought for sure I was getting the flu. I had a horrible headache and felt very nauseated! I was better the next day though.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:25 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
The majority of investigations regarding injectables involve opiate narcotics & nurses/doctors who are addicted.

I've never heard of a vaccine "black market" but that does not mean it couldn't happen. I've worked many flu shot clinics & every once in a while you get a surprised "Thats it? I didn't feel a thing!" (which I took as a compliment) but that can vary by the product; some are just more painful than others.

If the product was a multi-dose the nurse would have the discretion of using a 5/8ths needle vs a 1"-1 &1/2" needle which could account for less leaking post injection. Ideally you don't want to be drawing blood during an IM (intra-muscular) injection anyway.

I'll poke around online to see if there are other reports of this; hope you are feeling better!

Old 02-08-2017, 10:14 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
I had no soreness after the vaccine this year. Last year I had a good bit.

Some flu vaccines are designed to be given into the skin, not the muscle. The needle used is tiny. You may not even feel it. Not every injection will cause even a little bit of bleeding. As mentioned above, if the person who is giving the injection is good, it will be done in a literal blink of an eye.

OP, the fact that you were trying to observe the injection using your "side-vision" suggests you were anticipating she would do something wrong. If you want to watch, just watch.

I highly doubt you were given a "pantomime shot".

Old 02-08-2017, 11:31 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I have no idea why a nurse would fake a flu shot but if you believe that she did then it's definitely time to find a new doctor.
Time to report to the CDC (who would WANT to know this) and the states medical association.

I had a shot and have had a very mild case of flu twice this year. Once hubs and I both got it. WE figured we were exposed while a visit to a high end buffet. Which we rarely do and won't ever again. I'm not using the name as its not their fault.

Everyone is using the same spoon or fork to get salad or whatever. Lot of overseas guests bringing in different strains of the flu. Same spoon touched 500 times a day, its full of germs. Probably would make us sick to know all the germs on it.

I think the second time was I never really got over the first as they were within a week of each other.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:47 PM

648 posts, read 1,174,729 times
Good for you for questioning things! It's certainly your right to do so-- and we all have to do that all the time, everywhere, unfortunately.. because as soon as you are too trusting and DON'T question things, that's exactly when (some) people take advantage of your trust. There's too many scammers and liars out there nowadays.
Anyway...I would call the doc & tell them your concerns.. say you don't mean to sound paranoid or accusatory, but you have a right to know. Just tell them you have your doubts that you actually got the shot.. and can you please explain to them how they do it..? Is it a newer kind of needle that is so small & fast that you don't feel it (as other posters described)..? Ask them is this the way it's supposed to feel, and that you didn't see any evidence of a shot.. they may explain it all to you and put your mind at ease.
OR... if there IS a nurse doing some shady stuff.. they definitely need to know about it! (Unless the head doctor or whole staff is in on it too.. but even if they are, it's important that they know their patients are on to them.. or at least are questioning their methods...)

Old 02-08-2017, 01:48 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
I guarantee there are thousands of people this year and every year who receive the vaccination and nevertheless contract influenza. Getting sick is not evidence of having received a fake injection.

I'm with those who say that it is likely impossible to convince anyone that the OP got a fake injection at this remove. If it had been reported immediately, who knows?

Old 02-08-2017, 03:52 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,767,560 times
I have not had a flu shot in at least 10 years and probably only 3 shots out of the last 25 years. I cannot remember the last time I had the flu. Maybe 7 or 8 years ago. I think flu shots are over-hyped. Influenza is a fast mutating virus and they guess every year which one may hit the US.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:30 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I have not had a flu shot in at least 10 years and probably only 3 shots out of the last 25 years. I cannot remember the last time I had the flu. Maybe 7 or 8 years ago. I think flu shots are over-hyped. Influenza is a fast mutating virus and they guess every year which one may hit the US.
That isn't what the subject of the post is about. It concerns a poster who is concerned he did not receive a flu shot. In that context, he asks if people who had the influenza shot still got the flu.

I had my shot as I always do and have avoided the flu this year. The only time I didn't was last year when the vaccine was not satisfactory. Sixteen out of seventeen years is pretty good.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:27 PM

510 posts, read 716,675 times
I think there is also a lot of variance about what people think is "the flu". It's not a GI bug, it has very definitive symptoms and can be distinguished from a cold. (Just Google "cold or the flu and you'll get all the info you need.

Getting the real flu is like getting hit by a truck. And I remember the effects of the virus lingered on; it took me a few weeks to get back to 100%. Anybody who wishes to take a chance getting in - go right ahead. I'm getting the vaccine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness