Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 07:14 AM

2,151 posts, read 3,590,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
And your point is?
I am not a rabid anti-vaxxer, but what I have read about flu shots is that flu is a moving target and the shots do not work very well.

Don in Austin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 08:30 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
I am not a rabid anti-vaxxer, but what I have read about flu shots is that flu is a moving target and the shots do not work very well.

Don in Austin
Efficacy varies from year to year. The flu virus mutates. Work is being done on a more universal vaccine.
'Universal' flu shot could be ready in 5 years, Canadian researchers say | CTV News

This year's vaccine has now been estimated to have a 48% efficacy. IOW, you can reduce your chances of getting the flu by half with a flu shot.
CDC: Current Flu Shot's Effectiveness Pegged at 48% | Medpage Today

Old 02-19-2017, 11:11 AM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
This^^^^^ AND they guess (scientifically) which variation of the flu will spread in that given year, and they put two A strains and a B (?? not positive on this, doing stuff from old memory).

You CAN catch an influenza strain that isn't in the vaccine.

If you are just coughing and have a stuffed up nose, it is not influenza.

Last time I had it (2002) I was running a 103 fever, just lied in bed too sick to be bored. So sick going to the doctor seemed like an insurmountable task.

It kills about 30K a year, and when you have it, you understand why.
The last time I had the flu as an adult (many times as a child) was in 1972. Yes, I know the difference. As you said, you cannot get out of bed. I had a fever of 102. Aching and chills. As a young woman living alone, my Mom had to stay at my apartment to take care of me. Did she catch the flu from me with all that contact? Nope, and she was well into her late 40's then.

I have never had the flu since then, and never had a flu shot in my life. As an older woman, I have held sick little children, been around family members with the flu, etc., and just don't catch it any more.

Sorry, but I cannot say that the flu was the sickest I have ever felt in my entire life. I suppose that depends on an individual's perspective.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:56 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Efficacy varies from year to year. The flu virus mutates. Work is being done on a more universal vaccine.
'Universal' flu shot could be ready in 5 years, Canadian researchers say | CTV News

This year's vaccine has now been estimated to have a 48% efficacy. IOW, you can reduce your chances of getting the flu by half with a flu shot.
CDC: Current Flu Shot's Effectiveness Pegged at 48% | Medpage Today
Not too long ago our government pushed for cell-based flu vaccine: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/cell-based.htm. They invested hundreds of millions of dollars in just one new plant in NC: Insight: U.S. government investment gives flu vaccines a shot in the arm | Reuters. To the best of my knowledge; it did not work or it has too many problems.

The idea of an universal flu vaccine that is good for years or our lifetime; is very appealing. Maybe it will be a reality one day? I am of retirement age now and it would not bother me if I was fully retired because we have a better way that saves millions of lives. But testing/licensing and marketing can take many, many years.

In the meantime we continue to plug away with the traditional (egg based) technology. We are constantly gambling (with the CDC's help) what will be next years major flu outbreak. Our Weather Channel is telling us that Flu is spreading this year with 12,000 new cases each week: https://weather.com/health/cold-flu/...lu-season-peak. With our Government's help many of these vaccinations are 'free' or very reasonably priced. Even if you have not had the flu for many years it does not mean that you will not contract the particular strain that is common this year.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:10 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
I just had this discussion with my granddaughter who is a nurse practitioner a few days ago. She said people who say they got the flu from the shots are wrong: it takes 2 weeks for the vaccine to take effect; that is why so many think they got it from the shot. They already have the starting before they had the shot. I have to admit, I rarely get a shot, but I also realize I am kidding myself if I think the shot does no good or will cause me to get the flu.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I just had this discussion with my granddaughter who is a nurse practitioner a few days ago. She said people who say they got the flu from the shots are wrong: it takes 2 weeks for the vaccine to take effect; that is why so many think they got it from the shot. They already have the starting before they had the shot. I have to admit, I rarely get a shot, but I also realize I am kidding myself if I think the shot does no good or will cause me to get the flu.
Every year our CDC tries to anticipate our next flu season. There is a lot of science and some guess work on which strains will be our prevalent strains in the next flu season. From this CDC link: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/65/...cid=rr6505a1_w.
"Recombinant influenza vaccine (RIV) will be available in a trivalent formulation (RIV3). In light of concerns regarding low effectiveness against influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 in the United States during the 2013–14 and 2015–16 seasons, for the 2016–17 season, ACIP makes the interim recommendation that live attenuated influenza vaccine (LAIV4) should not be used. Vaccine virus strains included in the 2016–17 U.S. trivalent influenza vaccines will be an A/California/7/2009 (H1N1)–like virus, an A/Hong Kong/4801/2014 (H3N2)–like virus, and a B/Brisbane/60/2008–like virus (Victoria lineage). Quadrivalent vaccines will include an additional influenza B virus strain, a B/Phuket/3073/2013–like virus (Yamagata lineage)." Next year's flu season will or could be different than this years.

We traditionally start gearing up for the next season in January. That is ahead of when the CDC releases their guidelines for the next flu season. Of course we have scientist working hand and hand with the CDC - but their final decision is not always set in stone. If we 'guess' wrong millions of dollars in production can be lost.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:10 PM

^^That is all correct. nmnita's granddaughter is also correct that it takes two weeks for the vaccine to work once you have received it. If you get the flu in that two week interim, it's not from the shot but from circulating virus.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
^^That is all correct. nmnita's granddaughter is also correct that it takes two weeks for the vaccine to work once you have received it. If you get the flu in that two week interim, it's not from the shot but from circulating virus.
The one thing that our news and even the CDC do not religiously release are what strains are prevalent during the current flu season. I have to presume, that every time somebody test 'positive' for the flu virus that they do identify which strain they contracted. Of course maybe the general public is not that interested in strains and only health care officials and manufacturers would be interested?

I have been told and maybe it's wrong; that if you contract a flu strain that is similar, but different than the strain you were vaccinated against, that you would still have some protection. Possibly you might have a mild case of that strain? On the other hand, if the strain is completely different than your vaccination; you still might contract the full blown flu. Please feel free to correct me.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:25 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The one thing that our news and even the CDC do not religiously release are what strains are prevalent during the current flu season. I have to presume, that every time somebody test 'positive' for the flu virus that they do identify which strain they contracted. Of course maybe the general public is not that interested in strains and only health care officials and manufacturers would be interested?

I have been told and maybe it's wrong; that if you contract a flu strain that is similar, but different than the strain you were vaccinated against, that you would still have some protection. Possibly you might have a mild case of that strain? On the other hand, if the strain is completely different than your vaccination; you still might contract the full blown flu. Please feel free to correct me.
FluView. It updates the situation with flu weekly:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/summary.htm

Yes, you might get partial protection for a related strain. If it is totally different you can still get a severe case.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

The CDC releases the information about the flu strains early and often. This season's strains were announced last February. WHO | Recommended composition of influenza virus vaccines for use in the 2016-2017 northern hemisphere influenza season It will soon be time for them to announce for next year. This information is repeated over and over throughout the year.

The rapid flu tests differentiate between Type A and Type B. Blood tests done at a lab are more specific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness