Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 07:50 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,767,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
That isn't what the subject of the post is about. It concerns a poster who is concerned he did not receive a flu shot. In that context, he asks if people who had the influenza shot still got the flu.
My post went to the heart of the matter - did the OP get the flu because it was a fake shot, or because flu vaccine is not all that effective. I am pointing out that it could quite likely be the latter. Learn to comprehend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 09:10 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
I do not trust the Guberment shot - who knows what they are putting in us.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:37 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Thanks to everyone who responded and there certainly has been the whole spectrum of answers and suggestions. It was helpful to have at least one person say that they got the shot this year, but had no soreness develop. If there are shots that are intended to go no more than skin-deep, that could explain a lot, also.

As far as my illness, I never felt very sick, other than the deep distress in my respiratory tract. My pulse rate did climb very high for several days and it interfered with my sleep. However, that's past now, although the cough persists, but is diminishing. As far as feeling sick and distressed, I've had several bouts with the flu years ago, that made me feel very bad and an overall physical weakness lasted for a couple of weeks in one case.

Then there was the year that my flu was so bad, that I thought I was going to die. Then it got worse and I got to the point where I was afraid that I wouldn't die (I'm not joking). Then I remembered that evening was when the U of O was playing the No. 1-ranked UCLA at home and it was on TV. So I thought that since this was to be my last evening on earth, I'd spend it watching this special game. So I dragged my miserable self out of bed and to the television.

Oregon had a great strategy-----to stall and shoot only when it was a sure thing (no shot-clock then). UCLA could not cope with that, to their great frustration and at the end, Oregon hung on and won by only one point. You're about to learn why I'm telling you this. The great excitement and elation I felt from that win, did something amazing to me. As I got up to return to bed, I suddenly realized that I wasn't sick any longer. Not at all and in fact, I felt great and fully-restored physically. The increased circulation from that excitement, had flushed the pathogen right out of me.

So in summary, I really wasn't sick enough this time, to have had a full case of the flu, although this was worse and longer-lasting than any other virus I've had, that was not the flu. The suggestion of it being one of the many strains of RSV seems plausible. There has been and usually is, some of that going around. The full course of this illness was 5 days, although the cough lingers, as it usually does for me, after any viral affliction. My repressed appetite has returned and I had a good, but light-duty workout this evening. My having maintained a top level of athletic condition, I'm sure, was a big help. And I just got a jump-start on the fine-tuning of my bodyweight, for the spring season. I've now lost 22 lbs. over the last 4 months and any hint of a creeping diabetic condition, has vanished. I now weigh 4 lbs. less than I ever have, since age 16. Just those few extra lbs. of fat, can make a difference in the progress of type-2 diabetes and a lot more people are in the early stages of it, than realize it.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 02-09-2017 at 01:04 AM..

Old 02-09-2017, 04:33 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
The flu shot is not fail safe.

It's only for the strains 'they' feel are going to be active this season. So yes, you can get a flu shot and still get the flu. If your flu shot did not include swine flu, then you run a risk of getting the swine flu if it hits your area.

I hate getting the flu shot...but it's mandatory where I work so I get it every year.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:03 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Nope - I've gotten a flu shot for maybe 8 years now - never gotten the flu.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:05 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I've read of many stories from recent years, where large groups of people where given flu vaccines, by uncertified providers, who actually injected them all with saline solution and pocketed the money and disappeared. Often senior centers and nursing homes were places that were scammed like this.

I had a somewhat different experience this season. I think that a nurse at a medical clinic, carried-out a pantomime of giving me a flu shot. I have good side-vision, so I could see everything she did, without her realizing it. Instead of the usual stab of the needle, to drive it in, she pushed it lightly against my shoulder, then quickly drew it away. I did not see her thumb, pushing-in the plunger.

Also, for every other flu shot I've gotten for 25 years, a sore and slightly swollen spot developed, that lasted for several days. There was none of that, this year. On the bandage she put on my shoulder, there was no small, stained spot, when I took it off.

Now, 2.5 months later, I'm just getting over a 5-day case of the flu, with the worst and deepest cough I've ever had. In all these years of annually getting the vaccine, I haven't caught the flu, even once. I don't know where to begin, to investigate this. The doctor I have to see twice a year, to keep my coverage active, had nothing to do with the shot, other than to direct the nurse to give it. He may not be at all involved, if there is some deliberate deception involved with this. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Seriously? Yet you didn't say anything to her? I'm afraid that was your fault then. At the time you were apparently not confident enough in what you thought happened to say something and then after the fact were seeking an explanation and came up with that. HIGHLY, HIGHLY unlikely.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
The flu shot is not fail safe.

It's only for the strains 'they' feel are going to be active this season. So yes, you can get a flu shot and still get the flu. If your flu shot did not include swine flu, then you run a risk of getting the swine flu if it hits your area.

I hate getting the flu shot...but it's mandatory where I work so I get it every year.
All the flu shots this year have swine (H1N1) in them. But you're right, the process of deciding on strains is not fail-safe. Supposedly the vaccine is a pretty good match this year.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:15 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Nope - I've gotten a flu shot for maybe 8 years now - never gotten the flu.
I've never had the flu...pre shot or post...even though people around me have had it and I am exposed to it and other illnesses on a daily basis.

I try my best to stay healthy and wash my hands numerous times throughout the day. I also keep my hands off my face and out of my mouth. Hand washing is one of the best ways to avoid sickness.

I also disinfect my work area every morning paying close attention to my keyboard and phone. I also wipe down my cell phone every couple of days and once a week put it in a portable UV light unit we have in our NICU.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:27 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I've never had the flu...pre shot or post...even though people around me have had it and I am exposed to it and other illnesses on a daily basis.

I try my best to stay healthy and wash my hands numerous times throughout the day. I also keep my hands off my face and out of my mouth. Hand washing is one of the best ways to avoid sickness.

I also disinfect my work area every morning paying close attention to my keyboard and phone. I also wipe down my cell phone every couple of days and once a week put it in a portable UV light unit we have in our NICU.
The only way to really avoid the flu is to quit breathing. It's airborne. The other transmission is secondary. Of course, everyone should practice good hygiene. You probably should keep that phone out of the NICU.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:09 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The only way to really avoid the flu is to quit breathing. It's airborne. The other transmission is secondary. Of course, everyone should practice good hygiene. You probably should keep that phone out of the NICU.
Well, not really. Some people, like Kim in FL and our family, don't get the flu. Not sure why, strong immune systems? We are around hundreds of people each week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness