Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 09:35 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,604,523 times

Advertisements

I'll toss this out since it can be treated without drugs . . .

OP, as I got older, my sleep habits changed. I went from being fine when I had 8.0 hours to needing 8.5 - 9.0 hours each night. I rearranged my schedule so that I could sleep more and within several days, I had my energy back.

Maybe that's the problem for you: not enough sleep. Maybe try getting more sleep for a week and see if it makes a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 02:26 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,585,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
I listed an average day in a prior post

Eggs
Oatmeal
Avacado
Nuts
Bananas
Blueberries
Bananas
Chicken
Ground beef
Pork
Fish
Assortment of veggies that are low fod map
Leafy greens
Whey protein
Rice cakes
Greek yogurt
Try going without the oatmeal, rice and bananas, which have a lot of carbohydrate, that is a type digested quickly and then turns into blood sugar. I eliminated those three foods, along with others and have lost 30 lbs. since and have a lot more energy. High carbohydrate diets can cause fluctuation in blood sugar and energy levels. I eat beans, instead of grains, as their carbohydrate level is lower and digests much more slowly.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:03 AM

649 posts, read 816,070 times
Feeling exhausted when you wake up and never getting that rested feeling is classic hypothyroid. My tests I take are are free t3, free t4 and TSH. I am on levoxyl. If my TSH were 2.34 I would feel like crud, but everyone is different. There is no reason why you cannot be medicated for "subclinical hypothyroid" and see if it helps, it is an approach called "functional medicine."

ETA: are you sure that your result is not .270 pg/dl for the t3? 270pg/dl would be really really high and you would be tachycardic.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:25 AM

509 posts, read 554,384 times
In addition to what has already been mentioned I'd look into getting a sleep study. They can diagnose a lot more than just Apnea(though that could be the problem)
I had one many years ago and was shocked to find that my body never reached the REM sleep stage. Even though I thought I was getting enough sleep, I really wasn't sleeping at all.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:53 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,644,169 times
Cut the carbs down to 20g a day.

Guaranteed in one month you will be a different person.

Most people won't even try.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:09 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,254,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
Feeling exhausted when you wake up and never getting that rested feeling is classic hypothyroid. My tests I take are are free t3, free t4 and TSH. I am on levoxyl. If my TSH were 2.34 I would feel like crud, but everyone is different. There is no reason why you cannot be medicated for "subclinical hypothyroid" and see if it helps, it is an approach called "functional medicine."

ETA: are you sure that your result is not .270 pg/dl for the t3? 270pg/dl would be really really high and you would be tachycardic.
i just pulled my chart up online, looking at the results now it says :

T3 (triiodothyronine), free - 270 pg/dL

but then it says "units converted. see lab report for original value"

usually T3 is reported in mg/dL right? is that the difference? this is pg/dL.

let me also add that curiosity got me and i went to all of my old lab reports since i started reading that the TSH can fluctuate a lot. and back in 2015 my TSH was 4.000. isn't that really on the brink of being bad?

Old 04-26-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
How can you rule out sleep apnea? You don't have to be overweight to have it.
i guess i'm not ruling it out. any other symptoms that go along with it? i'm going to look into doing a sleep study.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:17 AM

761 posts, read 604,296 times
I haven't read all 5 pages, just the original post.

BUT KNOW THIS: a doctors office taking your thyroid levels will go by the standards, but seeing an endocrinologist may give you a different answer. My experience from my endo:
I was told:
"those levels are a little low for the average, BUT MAY BE TOO LOW FOR YOUR BODY".

I was put on a low dose medication and was off and running soon thereafter.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
I haven't read all 5 pages, just the original post.

BUT KNOW THIS: a doctors office taking your thyroid levels will go by the standards, but seeing an endocrinologist may give you a different answer. My experience from my endo:
I was told:
"those levels are a little low for the average, BUT MAY BE TOO LOW FOR YOUR BODY".

I was put on a low dose medication and was off and running soon thereafter.
Right, this is what i seem to be gathering just from doing my own research too. that sometimes you can feel crappy when the numbers are still in the ranges and that some doctors will try to treat the symptoms rather than just go by the numbers. so yeah i think i should def see an endo. Glad you are feeling better

Old 04-26-2017, 10:29 AM

20,708 posts, read 19,353,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Try going without the oatmeal, rice and bananas, which have a lot of carbohydrate, that is a type digested quickly and then turns into blood sugar. I eliminated those three foods, along with others and have lost 30 lbs. since and have a lot more energy. High carbohydrate diets can cause fluctuation in blood sugar and energy levels. I eat beans, instead of grains, as their carbohydrate level is lower and digests much more slowly.

Well yeah, those foods can cause lots of problems if you combine them with high calorie, low glycemic fats and proteins.

If you eat them alone they turn to blood sugar quickly so you stop eating more and feel full sooner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness